Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brd/Blu     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Brd/Blu

Lately I've been using Brd75/Blu37 as my primary tanking setup and it offers some nice features. I've not seen many threads or people using or testing this setup, so I thought i'd offer my results. Setup is similar to Pld tanking, but offers more hate potential (can hold off Invincible) and an impressive defense of 900~. Latest Central Tem 2nd Floor dropped Shiva's Diamond Dust to 0 dmg and Carbuncle's Searing Light to 179 dmg w/ both light eles alive, Rdm/Whm buffs no Whm present to test w/ Bar/ShellV merits.

Base Stats 75Brd/37Blu Elvaan
    HP: 1195 MP: 99 Def: 125
    Str: 67 Dex: 59 Vit: 65 Agi: 50 Int: 56 Mnd: 67 Chr: 67

/Blu37 spells: Chr+9, Vit+5, Mnd+1, HP+55 (added to base provides highest possible Chr and HP, so useful on debuffing)

Spells Set from /37Blu
    Cocoon: Vit+3 Effect: +50% Defense
    Pollen: Chr+1, HP+5 Effect: Self cure 35~hp
    Wild Carrot: HP+5 Effect: Party-Target cure for 170-180~hp
    Healing Breeze: Chr+2 HP+10 Effect: Party cure 150~hp each
    Sheep Song: Chr+1, HP+5
    Screwdriver: Chr+1, Vit+1, HP+10
    Feather Storm: Chr+2, HP+5
    Helldive: Chr+1, HP+5
    Wild Oats: Chr+1 HP+10
    Power Attack: Mnd+1
    Claw Cyclone: Vit+1

Pro5 +60def, Pro2 +25def, Minne4 +53def, Minne3 +45def.

Base Defense: 125
    Base +Armor: 341 *From here on base+armor included in all calculations*
    Base +Pro5: 401
    Base +Pro2: 366
    Base +Minne4: 394
    Base +Pro5 +Minne4: 454
    Base +Minne4 +Minne3: 439
    Base +Pro5 +Minne4/3: 499

With the addition of a Tav Taco (25%def/150cap) and Cocoon (+50%def) these numbers soar.
    Base Defense: 234
    Base +Armor: 639 *From here on base+armor included in all calculations*
    Base +Pro5: 752
    Base +Pro2: 687
    Base +Minne4: 740
    Base +Pro5 +Minne4: 852
    Base +Minne4 +Minne3: 824
    Base +Pro5 +Minne4/3: 936
    This number is slightly off as I did the calculations, but my on screen says 915 def. So maybe defense caps at a certain point then the +150 Taco and Cocoon +50% is calculated. Cocoon is calculated last so although a Taco caps at 150 (+25% of base) it still provides an additional +75 when Cocoon is applied.

Equipment: Looking to get Dusk Gloves/Feet (Haste), Cassie Earring (MaxHP), Gigant Mantle (MaxHP), Bloodbead Ring (MaxHP), Cerberus Mantle (Enm), Volunteer Ring (MDB)

Use 4 tank setups for Enmity, Defense, Haste, Elemental Resist, have not completed my MaxHP build. Sadly I didn't choose Sattva and a Defending Ring is out of the question. Healers simply made macro w/ /ma "Cure III" "Moridox".

Enmity:
    Tutelary, Genbu's Shield, Angel Lyre, Rival Ribbon, Harmonia's Torque, Ethereal Earring, Eris' Earring, Sha'ir Manteel, Garden Bangles, Jelly Ring, Mermaid's Ring, Cheviot Cape, Trance Belt, Byakko's Haidate, Heroic Boots.

Features: Defense+181; HP+89; Vit-3; Enmity+14; Evasion+15; MP+32; Haste+10%; PhysDmg-20%; MagDmg+5%; Regen 1/@Day; 3%Dmg to MP conversion.

Defense:
    Tutelary, Genbu's Shield, Happy Egg, Genbu's Kabuto, Tempered Chain, Ethereal Earring, Minstrel's Earring, Choral Just+1, Choral Cuffs+1, Jelly Ring, BQ Ring, Cheviot Cape, Marid Belt, Byakko's Haidate, Root Sabots.

Features: Defense+216; HP+281+1%; Vit+38; Enmity-4; Evasion+15; Haste+5%; PhysDmg-20%(additional -30% Latent); MagDmg+5%, 3%Dmg to MP conversion.

Elemental Resist:
    Tutelary, Genbu's Shield, Happy Egg, Black Ribbon, Jeweled Collar, Ethereal Earring, Musical Earring, Choral Just+1, Choral Cuffs+1, Gobniu's Ring, Unfettered Ring, Lamia Mantle+1, Resolute Belt, Byakko's Haidate, Root Sabots.

Features: Defense+185; HP+114+1%; Vit+18; Enmity-4; Evasion+20; MP+26; Haste+5%; PhysDmg-10%; MagicDefenseBonus+9; Elemental Resist+22~ (+72lightning, +12 Fire, +32 Earth, +12 Light/Dark); 3%Dmg to MP conversion.

Haste:
    Tutelary, Genbu's Shield, Angel Lyre, Walahra Turban, Tempered Chain, Ethereal Earring, Loquacious Earring, Sha'ir Manteel, Choral Cuffs+1, Jelly Ring, Minstrel's Ring, Cheviot Cape, Swift Belt, Byakko's Haidate, Rostrum Pumps.

Features: Defense+174; HP+79; Vit+7; Enmity-1; Evasion+15; MP+106; Haste+18%; PhysDmg-20%; MagDmg+5%; 3%Dmg to MP conversion; Fast Cast+2.

Yada yada low post count and omg Brd tank aside, I'm curious for feedback and if anyone has tested tanking w/ a Def of 900+. With the additional support of a Whm using Regen and a Rdm for Phalanx2 damage is mitigated very well and hate stays remarkably secure even against a Taru Blm w/ Novio/SorcRing setup.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I thought this was a post saying how awesome it was for merit parties, and I was ready to agree.

But what the fuck are you trying to suggest here. Defense hasnt made a good tank since 2004. Perma 999 defense doesnt make Blu/War a tank, why would it make a bard. Shadows/Chivalry or go home.

shadows pwn tanking endgame always have and pretty much always will (Unless mob attack goes through shadow like tiamat in air, not using mob as example because shadows pwn it just example of damage type)

Anyway i'm curious to see why brd/blu beats brd/nin for merit pt tho?

It's a good expository look into how you could make BRD/BLU work as a tank. But like the other posters said, the DEF formula is horribly broken in this game. You'll take like 400 damage a hit at 600 DEF, and like 375 damage at 999 DEF

A BRD/NIN would have the same haste/elemental/dmg reduction equipment you listed in your setup with the power of utsusemi shadows and being able to put on Marches instead of Minnes or Ballads.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The only advantage I see a BRD/BLU having is the self/party cures. Other than that... Not really seeing the point.

Unless its just for the sake of making things interesting, which I guess if your LS is really that bored with blink-tanking HNMs than go for it lol.

Few questions, Whats your stoneskin from metalic body on /blu? (Just a random question not trying to relate it to brd/blu tanking) My blu isnt 37 or capped on skill so i can't really figure out myself

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Mufferino
    Few questions, Whats your stoneskin from metalic body on /blu? (Just a random question not trying to relate it to brd/blu tanking) My blu isnt 37 or capped on skill so i can't really figure out myself
    Considering Metallic Body is like 10 points of damage for a crab...

Haha yeah I know I just don't really know jack about blu so I wanted to see if it gets anywhere near usefull at higher levels

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Mufferino
    Should be exactly 50 dmg worth of stoneskin on 37 blu, lol.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

really? i thought was less than that XD always seemed like 30 =/

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras
    I thought this was a post saying how awesome it was for merit parties, and I was ready to agree.

But what the fuck are you trying to suggest here. Defense hasnt made a good tank since 2004. Perma 999 defense doesnt make Blu/War a tank, why would it make a bard. Shadows/Chivalry or go home.
    I never got that. Why would BRD/BLU be any good for merit parties considering you already have /nin /whm or /rdm to choose from?

As you already said, defense is crap. You are likely to save more damage going /rdm and using phalanx than cocoon, not to mention fast cast. BRD/BLU cures are garbage, medium mind and no base healing. No stoneskin worth casting, blink that takes 8? seconds to cast.. seems to be a pointless bard sub to me.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Tiamat scores a critical hit!
    Moridox takes 734 points of damage.
    Tiamat scores a critical hit!
    Moridox takes 698 points of damage.
    Moridox was defeated by Tiamat.

lolDEF