Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When is a linkshell ready..?

So, just an introduction to this topic:

Our linkshell is 4 months old. We're 90% EU based and we're doing really well so far (in my opinion, I'm happy with progress). We've done all 4 gods with ease, and our strategies are perfect in practice. Now we're planning on Kirin in 2-3 weeks time, and I think we'll be able to do just fine...

Now, I know of quite a few members within the LS who are interested in ground kings. My question is pretty much this:

When is a linkshell ready for ground kings?

I figure after Kirin atleast, maybe one or two shots at him. I also figure KS99s would help a great deal, but how much preperation do we need? How long was it before your LS did ground kings?

I also realise some people are probably conscious of fighting ground kings, as there's always the fear of not doing well enough infront of almost the whole endgame community on that particular server, since we all know how busy Dragon's Aery can get. How do you convince your members that you're ready for this, and how do you motivate the people that are afraid of being embarassed or outclaimed?

Probably seems like a noobish question, but I really don't know. This seemed like the perfect place to ask, since you guys can be humble enough when not faced with stupid, obvious questions.

Any feedback is appreciated~

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

All you need is the power of Mr.Argus.

Quote Originally Posted by Heian
    I'm not so much worried about claiming. Kinda trying to focus on the whole task of motivating members, then we'll have to worry about claiming.

I'd say anytime. Having both experience from FFXI and WoW, I see one major difference. In WoW, you can mark your guild's progress by what boss you kill; if you can't kill Boss A, dont go try Boss B. If you have killed Boss A, however, the only logical progression is to go to B, even if its in a different instance. This is often how guild's are compared.

However, in FFXI, its not quite that linear; you can have great success at one thing, and suck at another, whereas another LS might be the other way around, just because of what jobs a certain NM requires, how many (you could have a LS of 18 amazing people that can do Kirin and Gods and Kings but have no hope at Vrtra) and other factors. Lastly I believe strongly that experience with, say, Kirin won't really do a whole lot for you when it comes to, say, Nidhogg. Sure, you may know how to SC better, and tanks know how to hold hate a... little... better... etc. But you'll only get to know that particular mob by fighting it, not others of comparable difficulty.

Go for it, yeah, most lowbie LS's wipe and there are jackasses who will make fun of those LS's and call em all noobs and such. Then again, everyone had a first fafnir kill before their second, and it probably didn't go as flawlessy as they do now. Go for it I'd say. For the longest time Kirin was taunted as being a bigger threat than earth pops, so its definitely doable.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

lol, you really dont want my answer on this buddy lol

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Parshath
    Quote Originally Posted by Heian
    I'm not so much worried about claiming. Kinda trying to focus on the whole task of motivating members, then we'll have to worry about claiming.
    Well personally I would cap everyone in sky first before heading to Earth HNM. End the end its going to come down to who is hardcore enough to be sitting in Drama Area for over three hours only to get out claimed half the time, and being primarly EU/GMT is not always going to be freindly. But hey best of luck to ya, FFXI endgame is a barren wasteland.

Appreciate the feedback so far ^^

I've been discussing this briefly with sackholders and other members, and I get the feeling people do want to experience all of this, it just seems that motivating enough people to be able to take Fafnir (or whatever) out seems like half the task in itself.

Be smart, don't go to 3 Kings.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

when you believe in the heart of the cards, you are ready

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Your LS is ready when you are ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    Be smart, don't go to 3 Kings.
    Where do you propose I get my E. Body? /wrists

Everyone's responses have made sense except the EU/GMT response... If anything you might have a more reasonable chance at claiming because most of your members will be on at YOUR peak time which, even though stil having NA and JP players, is a separate peak time. There's a reason NA's recognize JP primetime; they gain an advantage. Same will happen with you guys, just with a lesser margin.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur
    when you believe in the heart of the cards, you are ready

LOL

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

if you want 3 kings be prepared for drama ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ahkow
    if you want 3 kings be prepared for drama ...
    I fully understand that there will be drama surrounding all of this. I've fought Fafnir once only (which really isn't much at all)so I kind've have a rough idea of how difficult he can be. Though, I've never been in an LS since near enough the beginning to judge what kind of preperation it took and how long it took.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaru
    Everyone's responses have made sense except the EU/GMT response... If anything you might have a more reasonable chance at claiming because most of your members will be on at YOUR peak time which, even though stil having NA and JP players, is a separate peak time. There's a reason NA's recognize JP primetime; they gain an advantage. Same will happen with you guys, just with a lesser margin.
    This makes no sense to me, I'm GMT in a NA LS, there is no advantage to being EU, at all. You know why? Sisterfuck is around 4 hours ahead of us and if a EU LS can camp Fafnir you damn well know Sisterfuck will be there. Even so, camps are usually at a time where NA and EU can be there, the advantage for NA/EU is the same (if they don't bot) but there is no advantage so meh. More people != claiming chance, unless you count Darters

There's no advantages, there is no hope, there is only endurance, pain and luck. Good luck getting Ebody, and the drama surrounding the drops that might make the LS break up.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You need a montage.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Parshath

I fully understand that there will be drama surrounding all of this. I've fought Fafnir once only (which really isn't much at all)so I kind've have a rough idea of how difficult he can be. Though, I've never been in an LS since near enough the beginning to judge what kind of preperation it took and how long it took.

The challenge isn't to fight the NM, those are easy, it's to keep your LS in one piece every time a ridill or e.body drops, or to avoid 30 pages topic involving you vs another.

Also, don't forget, your ls is ready when they have PSPs or other games ready to play, then you know they are ready for camping kings.

Quote Originally Posted by othellojr
    Also, don't forget, your ls is ready when they have PSPs or other games ready to play, then you know they are ready for camping kings.
    Or anime to watch. A 22 minute anime episode = perfect for king windows.