+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

FFXI skipping every second

It was working fine last week. I took out 4 gigs of ram from my computer since it was bad and had a billion errors when I ran memtest, installed the newer version of my anti virus, installed new ATI drivers, and windows update happened and installed 7 new things. I logged onto FFXI yesterday and it had this annoying lag that happens every second.

Video to show whats going on:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQXGvfAuAPg

I'm using-
    Graphics Card: ATI radeon HD 5870
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.40GHZ
    Current Ram: 4096MB (I have double that normally, waiting for it to be shipped)
    Anti Virus: Kaspersky antivirus 2011

What I've tried:
    -Uninstalling my antivirus
    -Rolling Back Graphics cards drivers
    -disabling QoS Packet Schedule
    -other stuff searching for the issue, I forgot exactly what though >_>; I tried a lot of things

Something tells me it isn't a ram issue since it was running fine while my other stick of ram was completely dead, but I could be wrong.

Thank you very much in advance, this is driving me crazy

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Could be your HID devices. Happens to me everytime I boot my PC up (lag spikes in FFXI til I uninstall them). I just go to Control Panel -> Device Manager -> uninstall HID-Compliant devices and HID-Compliant consumer control devices. I was warned it would turn off my Mouse/Keyboard but I've been doing it on my past 2 PCs and it hasnt effected them at all (and they reinstall everytime you restart your PC). 4 gigs of ram is way more then needed. Back in the day I had 1gig and ran FFXI at full FPS.

Edit: Just watched your video and thats the exact same thing that happens with me. So yeah, my guess is HID devices.
    P.S. And dont blame me if your keyboard stops working, I've done it on my past 2 PCs and it hasnt happened to me, could happen to you, but from my experiences it hasnt done anything.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I've tried that and no go, well... kinda tried. I tried disabling them (not uninstalling) and ya no luck D:

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I had this problem a couple of PCs ago, and it had to do with a wireless device driver. Have you tried disabling all IR/Bluetooth/etc?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I had that kind of stuttering a while ago; uninstalling some cisco vpn software I needed for other things fixed it for me. Anything that modifies/adds to your network connection, like virtual box or certain vpn software, could be a culprit along with HIDs, bluetooth, etc.

Luckily I was able to continue the vpn use within win7's xp mode, which made it more convenient actually...

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

so I've been trying everything I could think of and the only thing I could get to actually stop the lag was in the start screen I would disable my Ethernet port on my motherboard then poof, the lag was gone <_< to bad I can't play FFXI without the internet! So I guessing it has something to do with something modifying my connection like orinthia was saying... I can't figure out what it would be though -_-;;;;;;

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

had the same issue a couple days ago. i ended up disabling the onboard GPU on my motherboard, and that ended up fixing it IIRC.. I also uninstalled my ATI drivers and rebooted > used the latest ATI driver on windows update (there were a few other things I did also, so I can't for certain say which one actually fixed it)

I'm also running a quad core on my FFXI box, and I run the affinity on 1 CPU instead of all 4

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Did you try uninstalling and updating your network and chipset drivers? You probably have, but I didn't see that mentioned. Sometimes newer drivers will have better support for the kind of stuff that could be causing the interruption. The other thing you could do is head to best buy or something and buy a cheap NIC and see if that fixes the problem.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I had this issue on an older laptop. Some combination of the following helped me alleviate these symptoms: removing VPN programs, disabling all HID devices, uninstalling QoS, updating wireless and wired network drivers, running CCleaner, uninstalling all unused or brand based programs, removing Yahoo Toolbar, Defragmenting (with defraggler), updating graphics card driver.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I fixed it by uninstalling Hotspot Shield VPN program~ hope this helps everyone .

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I had this problem before, and was told by others on the forum (this one I believe) that the problem was my multi-core. Try setting the affinity to one core and see if that helps.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I pretty much gave up trying to figure out what was causing the problem since I pretty much tried all the fixes on here and other various searches on the interwebs and nothing worked. I tried testing other things out to see if I could find it but no luck.

I ended wiped my C: drive clean and reinstalled my OS. Installed FFXI and it doesn't skip anymore. Hurray. I pretty much reinstalled everything I had in about 4 hours except for my Adobe programs... If anyone else has this problem and is getting really frustrated, do this. I know its not the best solution by any means but it probably will work.

oh and I guess if anyone was wondering it wasn't the ram. lol

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

That was the same solution I came to. ;;

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I have this issue on startup with my FF everytime if I leave my wireless 360 controller receiver plugged in but dont actually switch the controller on

once i switch on my controller, the problem ceases to occur though

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by pugnax179 View Post
    I have this issue on startup with my FF everytime if I leave my wireless 360 controller receiver plugged in but dont actually switch the controller on

once i switch on my controller, the problem ceases to occur though
    exact problem/fix that i experience

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I ran into this problem, and I traced it back to Virtual Machine software I had (Virtual PC, VirtualBox, VMWare) and mostly likely the network adapters they add. Just in case others have this issue.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Quote Originally Posted by Kriz View Post
    I ran into this problem, and I traced it back to Virtual Machine software I had (Virtual PC, VirtualBox, VMWare) and mostly likely the network adapters they add. Just in case others have this issue.
    This was the fix for my problem several months ago as well. Disabling the network stuff VirtualBox added fixed my issue.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Hmm... I'll have to try that on the VM stuff. Good call.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Has anyone found a fix for this yet, I just setup my new PC and now I'm having the same problem. Disabled my bluetooth and took off my wireless connection and still having the same issue.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I did try disabling the virtualboox host-only device, but that didn't help. I also installed a cisco vpn client this weekend to do work and after I did XI ran like complete ass, even with the cisco device disabled in device manager. I then went and shrunk my partition 300gb and made 2nd install of 7 for teh vidya gaemz >.>