Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

Odin Avatar Speculation Thread SPOILERS

Disclaimer: This thread is created under the laws of assumption. I am assuming Odin/Dark Rider is an avatar and will be added to Summoner's spell book in the future, seeing how in other Final Fantasys he was a summonable character. (I know, I know. So was Bahamut, you can't fall back on this every time an avatar thread rolls about, nor Phoenix.)

Ok, for one, SE did say something about new avatars for summoners, we're left with Odin and Alexander, who are the Bahamut/Phoenix of ToA. COP gave us Diabolos, Phoenix is sorta...well, in a sword/dead, and Bahamut doesn't seem to be planned as a summonable judging from his strength, and end game boss status. Now we have Odin and Alexander. Alexander is currently, damaged in TOA story line. The under sea ruins is his body, and his 'legs' are split around Aht Urhgan region. So at the moment he's damaged, and it is said if he revives he and Odin shall clash, and some shit will go down.

Now, moving away from Alexander, we have Dark Rider. From recent Cut Scenes he's off his horse, and Luzaf, is (possibly), next in line to be a dark rider. This being said it would seem certain that in the future we'll likely fight Luzaf as Odin in a BC, like Diabolos, and SE can easily make another BC where you can obtain him as an Avatar. But this isn't what made me speculate about him.

Look at Odin's stance.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...RD/OdinATK.png

From glance, I see a semi reminder of Ifrit when he's summoned. Also during the CS he appears to 'float' like Ifrit does, hunched over.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...OdinSummon.png

This picture gives me the image of not only meteor strike, but a bloodpact stance. Not a bad Dark based elemental attack (assuming it was Dark).

Naturally we have no idea what moves he will have, and this is likely because:
    A.) Dark Rider's hard to find
    B.) Noone lasted long against him.
    C.) There hasn't been an oppurtunity to throw more than 6 people (est.) at him. {As only Partys who stumbled upon him, engaged knowing they'd die.}

Tonko

Moved to newbie forum where pointless speculation threads belong, and added spoilers to the title of the topic.

DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

*angry Tonko*

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It could be that they borrowed Ifrits stance for that cut scene. I would find it lame if they made Odin an avatar off his horse tbh.

Banned.

BG Level

Bahamut/Phoenix of ToA
    What do you mean by this? Bahamut's element could be Light, but Phoenix is obviously fire.

Sagacious Sundi

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    Bahamut/Phoenix of ToA
    What do you mean by this? Bahamut's element could be Light, but Phoenix is obviously fire.
    The main avatar characters of CoP/ToAU, I'm guessing. Bahamut/Odin is the in-your-face avatar, whereas Phoenix/Alexander are separated and seldom seen.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Dragonmaw

i really hope they do add some new avatars in. they usually add 1-2 per expansion which is cool. im sure all SMN would love it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

face it, summoned avatars are basically to summoners what new gear/weapons are to the other jobs....now true- new gear has been (and honestly, there should be more SMN related gear moreso than just tons of MP, and this from someone with a lv. 1 SMN) released for all jobs, SMNs included, but I do believe that they will receive at least one new avatar....probably only one, however two wouldn't surprise me either.

My money is on the Fat Chocobo and the Sylphs from FFIV :D

Banned.

BG Level

It's hilarious to me how many SMNs rather have something fluffly like a new big guy to follow them around.

I don't understand why a SMN wouldn't want SE to do something more impacting, like making it so that they don't only use 4 avatars out of 8 and 5 BPs out of 40. (Numbers are pretty much made up, but you get the point).

Why do you want another avatar? When is the last time you used Ifrit or Shiva? Rolling Thunder? Crimson Howl? Ultimate Terror?

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Tell me BRP when was the last time you used Raging Axe when you got Rampage? Frostbite when you have Spinning Slash? Shadow of Death when you have Guillotine?

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Metah
    Tell me BRP when was the last time you used Raging Axe when you got Rampage? Frostbite when you have Spinning Slash? Shadow of Death when you have Guillotine?
    I guess in this comparison, BPs are weaponskills.

You'd rather have a new weapon type(with a set of new weaponskills) than improving older WSes and making new ones for previous weapons?

It seems like people rather go for the "shiny, new thing" instead of making what they have more worthwhile.

Unless this summon is amazing, it will probably not be worth more than 2 BPs and epeen. Now if SE went back, turned Crimson Howl into a unique Attack Bonus that stacked with Warcry and extended it's base duration 1:30 minutes, then SMN would have more of a place in an Exp party. Just an example, mind you.

And, if SE made weaker WSes stronger, even if just situational, more power to them.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Both pictures are down.

Ridill
    BG Level

Now if SE went back, turned Crimson Howl into a unique Attack Bonus that stacked with Warcry and extended it's base duration 1:30 minutes
    and not based on the SMNs att

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

When I saw Odin/Dark Rider in that cutscene with Luzaf I was like: hello summoning stance and BP. Same feeling with the more obvious summoning animation of Diabolos in 5.3 or so in CoP. At that time I thought: well a Diabolos summon sure has potential, already has the summon animation (and the BP's from the fight in chapter 3). So seeing this Odin/Dark Rider basically do the same in the ToAU story as Diabolos did. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in 6 months or something besides a SMN.

Also doesn't the warcry thingy from Ifrit last longer since they did that buff to SMN skill? Which also made all those other buffs last longer like Hastega? Been a while since I played with my SMN.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

It seems like people rather go for the "shiny, new thing" instead of making what they have more worthwhile.
    It is to be expected. Using the same, very powerful WS for 20 levels can be quite tiring. New things that can rival what we already have keep things fresh. That being said, another WS on all weapons would be nice, since they've already stated they will not add any new weapon types. But it'd be quite difficult to fit them in.

Summons are different in that respect. Its definately easier to just add a new summon than a new weapon type or new Weapon Skills.

I'm not saying they shouldn't improve what they already have (which would be nice, Crimson Howl being a perfect example) but new things are needed too.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's hilarious to me how many SMNs rather have something fluffly like a new big guy to follow them around.

I don't understand why a SMN wouldn't want SE to do something more impacting, like making it so that they don't only use 4 avatars out of 8 and 5 BPs out of 40. (Numbers are pretty much made up, but you get the point).

Why do you want another avatar? When is the last time you used Ifrit or Shiva? Rolling Thunder? Crimson Howl? Ultimate Terror?
    How many spells does BLM have access to? BLU? BRD? How many of them do they actually use? Especially BRD, when's the last time you saw a BRD sing warding round or shining fantasia?

Get a better host that won't have its bandwidth raped for the day every 10 views.

Banned.

BG Level

People are missing my point I think.

The biggest reason people want new summon(s) is because its 'shiny'. You get that "new" feeling and you are like "wow, yay, odin / alexander / diabolos / ect". Sure, there will be new BP added, but chances are only 2 of them will see the light of day, if that.

There is quite a big difference between Avatars and spells(especially bard songs). Avatars are truly much more like weapon types, than a handful or two of useless spells out of a pretty good spell-list.

What Summoners really want is already there, it just isn't complete. If something is broken, slapping on more and more stuff to it isn't going to fix it. Diabolos didn't do a damn thing for SMNs getting into anything but a HNM DD party(which they already have Garuda for).

To me, it's like Dragoons asking for double-sided spear weapons with double-sided spear weapon skills. (Don't look too much into this, it isn't a flawless analogy). Dare I say, it's nearly ZAMish.

Finally, if these avatars are suppose to be so cool that you get excited about them the moment they appear as NPCs in whatever expansion, shouldn't they actually turn out cool? Ifrit is awesome, but he is useless. I get the gut feeling if SE asked all the SMNs of the world: "What do you want - Odin or all previous avatar's BPs get changed into something useful?" Majority would pick Odin. And that's what I am talking about.

And this is assuming, that the next summon they release is going to remain as powerful as the average avatar, following the pattern of Fenrir and Diabolos. If whoever comes next is like a Relic Weapon by comparison, then I guess it doesn't matter.

(As much as I would like it as a BLM to use all 6 elements of nukes... for Bards to have dozens and dozens of songs to choose from... for almost every weapon skill out there to be of us... it isn't my point. Not every job suffers like SMN does and BLMs aren't exactly asking for a new 9th element to have nukes of).

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Odin and Alexander are pretty sweet though. Geez.

Also the ninth element is the Chrono Cross. God!

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Fafnir and Diabolos.