+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shin Megami Tensei Series     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Shin Megami Tensei Series

I've played through Nocturne so far, and it's one of my favorite games now, I'd recommend it to anyone.

I was just wondering if anyone could list some of the others in the series that they found enjoyable, or just mention how you feel about the games.

Digital Devil Saga is good as well. Not as good as Nocturne but still a very solid RPG that's story is told in a more traditional way.

Actually it seems people are in one boat or another, some like one more then the other.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I hear that in DDS you can switch skills at any time.... that pretty much makes having Demons for other tasks irrelevant... Does DDS have Fusion? (IMA FUZIN MAH DEVIL POKEMONZ)

No fusion, it has a list of main characters, you can switch in attacks as you please, skill system is pretty similar if not the same.

Sorry, no pokemon devils for you =\

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

If you can read Japanese buy Persona 2 Part 1 (forgot its name exactly) US got the second part.

It's the only game I can think of where you fail.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are very good games. Yes, they are very sad because no matter what you do, you can't change anything for the better. To quote avgn, it's like landing on a zero in roulette, everybody fucking loses.

I am a huge fan of the SMT series, or generally anything from Atlus. Nocturne is definitely my favorite. Very original and amazing game. If you can find it anywhere I highly suggest you pick it up.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I'll just use my PS1 Emu and ninjahack some of the Persona games, and see if theres any extremely badly done translations done (I had a Tales of Phantasia rom that had one of the characters say "I bet Arche fucks like a tiger")....

Anyways, about the Pokemon aspect.... anyone who claims to not have fun with the whole fusion/evolution thing isn't a true RPGer, because the thing is, advancing your character in levels/strength is just the same exact process, displayed differently. If you enjoy said process, but are not willing to go through the same godamn Pokemon routine over and over in different colors.... this is the game for you.

Also, Lolspoilers:

Fucking Dante in j00r ptz nukka, fire the fucking demon lazar

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I love nocturne, really need to go back and finish it. DDS is decent, but i havent played DDS2 yet. Hoping Persona 3 is good. Oh and has anyone played SMT: Devil Summoner? I cant find it anywhere @_@

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I have heard that Devil Summoner is the weakest of the SMT series.

I personally haven't played it, but it appears to have real time battles (removal of press turn system, a signature of SMT ; ... and you can only have 2-4 skills.

Its commonly referred to as "Shin Megami Tensei: Lite".

I'd probably play it after I play DDS 1 & 2.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

DDS is SMT with a coat of Final Fantasy X - slicker production values, voice acting (good voice acting - I'm still amazed by the quality of it), linear storyline (most of the dialog choices you get mean nothing, though there are a couple in the first game that will give characters extra skills in the final dungeon of the second, and two in each game that determine which of two characters you get for the final dungeon).
    I haven't played Devil Summoner yet, but a friend has it and says it's really fun.
    Persona games are great. A friend of mine who imported 3 is madly in love with it, so I'm pretty excited for it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

In terms of the SMT here is my order of favorite to least

1. Shin Megami Tesnei 2 (Most amazing story EVER hands down; you argue you fail)
    2. Shin Megami Tensei 3 (Nocturne in US)
    3. Shin Megami Tensei 1
    4. Persona 2 (Both Parts)
    5. Digital Devil Saga 2 (Both Parts)
    100. Devil Summoner (It sucked ass)

Persona 3 looks badass... I mean killing yourself to change into a demon? fucking sweet.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

I loved Digital Devil Saga, such a dark story, hell i actually scoured the internet after i finished it ot make sure i fully understood it. It pretty good in the sense that i actually started to feel pretty badly for all of them, one of the few games were i actually enjoyed talking to NPCs.

Plus, boobs with mouths on em and people eating eachother is fucking sweet.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Vinen
    In terms of the SMT here is my order of favorite to least

1. Shin Megami Tesnei 2 (Most amazing story EVER hands down; you argue you fail)
    2. Shin Megami Tensei 3 (Nocturne in US)
    3. Shin Megami Tensei 1
    4. Persona 2 (Both Parts)
    5. Digital Devil Saga 2 (Both Parts)
    100. Devil Summoner (It sucked ass)

Persona 3 looks badass... I mean killing yourself to change into a demon? fucking sweet.
    SMT III > II. Devil Summoner was ok, it isn't the worse game ever. I expect more but I still had fun with it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Currently playing the mmo version called megami tensei imagine. Anyone playing it?

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I was.. I got as far as the 3rd dungeon past that gold city. I'm around level 18. Arjuna on Channel 4. I should hop on soon.

BG Level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWCISwwZOno

Love this opening, anyone know the name of the band that plays this song?

Etro Anime, the song is called Danger.

BG Level

... I just realized it says it at the end of the video...

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Miltani
    Currently playing the mmo version called megami tensei imagine. Anyone playing it?
    If it's playable without reading Japanese, I will join you in a heartbeat, but I don't think it is D:

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Nocturne was one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. It was long, fairly unforgiving if you screwed up and had a nice story.

Devil Summoner I got thinking it would be on par with DDS and Nocturne and it was a huge let down. The story was subpar at best and the combat system came off as a poor hack n slash system. It barely required any strategy compared to Nocturne where you had to customize your demons and abilities for certain fights otherwise you'd get smoked two rounds in.

Where SMT I & II JP only or were there US releases? I got into the series with Nocturne and couldn't really find much on the previous versions in the series.