+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

got 1TB HD, quick question.

is it good to leave it on 24/7?

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I hope you didn't get a Seagate 1TB. Their drive have a high failrate atm due to shitty firmware :D

Seagate to Issue Fixes for Troublesome Hard Drives Soon - PC World

Regarding turning it on... drive technology improved quite a lot so I don't see it being a problem leaving it on just spinning while you AFK. Just don't BT too much, since the head moving in and out will definitely shorten its lifespan plus... heat problems =) (or if you BT, just download and don't upload, so it doesn't have to jump everywhere to grab data)

Nah, I got a Western Digital

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

just adjust your power savings so the drive powers down after a certain period of inactivity, if you're worried about EOL being reached too soon

Long as you have enough cooling, I don't see a problem. I've left my computer/drives on for weeks on end with no power down and I've had no problems at all.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I have two 1TD drives that have been running 24/7 for about 6months now besides the occasional reboot. They are fine so far.

I got a 1tb WS HDD 2 months now on 24/7 other then a few reboots no problems so far

also drives either last forever or break in the first few weeks.Ive had 1 drive for 8 years now hoping with me from each PC as i get a new 1 been on nearly 24/7 for 8 years without a hick-up

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Depending on how much you use your computer, spin up and spin down actually causes more wear and tear on your drive rather than just leaving it running all the time.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I have 8 TB drives in my home server that's on 24/7/365 and i've never had a problem. Just made sure you clean the dust and have proper cooling!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Maiev View Post
    I hope you didn't get a Seagate 1TB. Their drive have a high failrate atm due to shitty firmware :D

Seagate to Issue Fixes for Troublesome Hard Drives Soon - PC World

Regarding turning it on... drive technology improved quite a lot so I don't see it being a problem leaving it on just spinning while you AFK. Just don't BT too much, since the head moving in and out will definitely shorten its lifespan plus... heat problems =) (or if you BT, just download and don't upload, so it doesn't have to jump everywhere to grab data)
    I was worried for a moment after reading this since I have a Seagate 1TB drive, but after reading up on the issue a little more the only drives that are affected by the firmware issue have the 'NS' designation. My drive is an 'AS'. Specific model numbers affected are:

ST3250310NS
    ST3500320NS
    ST3750330NS
    ST31000340NS

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by The_OG_Nelta View Post
    is it good to leave it on 24/7?
    If its the Enterprise model they are rated for 24x7 useage if its the desktop model they are not.

There is nothing particularly bad with leaving it on 24x7 just the oem's specs for how long it last for consumer drives is many factors lower than enterprise drives.

P.S. make sure you have backups

Quote Originally Posted by levish View Post
    If its the Enterprise model they are rated for 24x7 useage if its the desktop model they are not.

There is nothing particularly bad with leaving it on 24x7 just the oem's specs for how long it last for consumer drives is many factors lower than enterprise drives.

P.S. make sure you have backups
    I wouldn't worry about it. Most "enterprise" / "consumer" drives are just the same HDA (spindle / head / disk). The only difference is in the controllers and the firmware. Often though, "enterprise" drives are simple last years "consumer" models with the bugs worked out.

Heat really isnt an issue with hard drives to be honest. Granted, you dont want them burning to the touch hot, but fairly warm to the touch is actually a good thing. I can remember exactly why, but usually the warmer the hard drive is, the longer it lasts. Has something to do with magnetism and such.

Anywho, running hard drives 24/7 is better than letting them turn on an off.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I've been thinking about getting a External hardrive, due to all the good feedback from it.

Can anyone suggest good ones? (Good price ranges too, don't need a super 1TB either)

Okay I just realized something.
    for my Wester Digital HD, When I first plugged it in, it had some files in there, the setup files that didn't interest me and so I just deleted them and went on with my business..

I was stupid, how do I get them back o.o;

Quote Originally Posted by The_OG_Nelta View Post
    Okay I just realized something.
    for my Wester Digital HD, When I first plugged it in, it had some files in there, the setup files that didn't interest me and so I just deleted them and went on with my business..

I was stupid, how do I get them back o.o;
    how long ago was it?

If it was a while back, chances are those sectors of the hard drive are already written over. Besides, depending on the drive (internal, external) there should have been some WD software included with the drive (on CD/DVD) or it should be available on the support page.

it was 2 days ago

ah i found it nvm

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

what do you guys think about external HD's? Anything notable about them compared to internals?

Quote Originally Posted by raginbull View Post
    what do you guys think about external HD's? Anything notable about them compared to internals?
    Yea...first of all, transfer speeds of external hard drives is much slower than that of internal hard drives. Unless you can get an external drive with eSATA, and your computer has to support eSATA.

Reliability is about the same. I run my externals 24/7 as well.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have 1 Esata port on my PC and had no idea what it was for. I noticed normal sata cables won't fit into it. Now I know what they are for
    Only thing is, pretty much every external HD I have seen has been usb only