Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

AVG Free ends 5/31, what next?

So with AVG becoming "not free" at the end of this month, I'm looking for a new free AV program that is comparable to AVG in terms of quality of protection, unobtrusiveness (I'd prefer no popups, registrations, upgrade requests, etc), and easy of use. If I need to suck it up and pay for AV service, please let me know; but AVG did everything I needed without having to pay for it, so I'm hoping there are others out there.

Any suggestions?

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Re: AVG Free ends 5/31, what next?

Huh? I just downloaded AVG8.0 and it's not telling me anything about it not being free anymore lol

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

avg 8.0 seems to have a free trial but not a free complete version. I'm not sure what else is good but I got Avira as well.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

torrent a cracked version

Banned.

BG Level

I just paid for kaspersky having to download a cracked version every two months got old fast.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Avast is <3

Quote Originally Posted by Bartylby
    Avast is <3
    Yes.

The Dazzler
    BG Level

Version of ESET's NOD32 that I have comes with a crack that makes it a 24000 something day trial, I've liked this one the best of the ones I've used.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tajin
    I just paid for kaspersky having to download a cracked version every two months got old fast.
    i like kaspersky, but my bank puts a stop on my card when i pay to renew because the payment office is located in Germany.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Avast is okay, but nothing will beat paid-for AV software as far as detection rates and removal goes. I have NOD32 myself, its about 30 bucks per year. No need to buy the software, just download the trial, let the 30 days expire and then pay for it.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    Avast is okay, but nothing will beat paid-for AV software as far as detection rates and removal goes. I have NOD32 myself, its about 30 bucks per year. No need to buy the software, just download the trial, let the 30 days expire and then pay for it.
    I disagree with your stance. Some of the better AV's are pay, however... and this is a GIANT however... Avast! still has a more aggressive detection stance than the big three in the AV market (Norton, Mcrapaffee, etc). Corporate editions are a different market, however I'd rather have something free and legal, than free and illegal.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

avg not free? huh?

Press release: http://www.grisoft.com/ww.811.ndi-93836

where to get AVG free 8.0: http://free.grisoft.com/

ever since 7.5 avg has made it hard to find the free version but it is there. i have been using it since it came out as well, everything works fine.

Edit: bad link

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi
    I disagree with your stance. Some of the better AV's are pay, however... and this is a GIANT however... Avast! still has a more aggressive detection stance than the big three in the AV market (Norton, Mcrapaffee, etc). Corporate editions are a different market, however I'd rather have something free and legal, than free and illegal.
    Take what you want from this, it seems pretty un-biased, Avast came up as #13.. well behind the others. AVG is #4. So I think there is a difference.

link: http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Ad-aware has always caught stuff before AVG for me, I'll just stick with that.

Take what you want from this, it seems pretty un-biased, Avast came up as #13.. well behind the others. AVG is #4. So I think there is a difference.

Hi, your list includes Norton and McAfee. Obviously it's bullshit.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Tajin
    i like kaspersky, but my bank puts a stop on my card when i pay to renew because the payment office is located in Germany.
    I had some malware that kaspersky would continually detect every startup (and every few seconds there after unless I closed the program), but it would reinstall itself somehow every time kaspersky(or I manually) tried to remove it and reboot. I downloaded the free version of avg and it got rid of them in one go. If AVG will no longer have a free version, I'll just pirate it, because it's been working better, and using less resources than other anti-virus I've tried.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by aurik

Hi, your list includes Norton and McAfee. Obviously it's bullshit.
    They're not at the top are they? If you have a better list that cites data then by all means...

I don't know how good it is, but Avira is a free Anti-virus program...

Fuck paying for Anti-virus programs, go dl a cracked one, that shit should be built in Windows by now lol

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by sunb1ind
    I don't know how good it is, but Avira is a free Anti-virus program...

Fuck paying for Anti-virus programs, go dl a cracked one, that shit should be built in Windows by now lol
    Of all the things you can crack, I'd say the OS and virus scanner should be #1 and 2 of what not to do it on, from a security standpoint. What good is a cracked antivirus if it stops getting updates to its virus definitions. Instead of getting a cracked one, an easy way would be to get a executable from a friend at a university, often they let students download corporate editions for free. Speaking of, I still have my Symantec 10.2 lying around, OP can PM me for it if he wishes.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Winter Sky
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

AVG IS STILL FREE.

unless it's lost enough functionality in the free 8.0 version to make it useless, which i doubt - i installed it last weekend and it caught some adware and a dialer on my ex's desktop.

go to the AVG 8.0 DL page, and at the bottom in normal font it says something like "if you're comfortable running your own multi-faceted PC bullshit and would like for AVG to be part of your internet security solution, download free AVG here" or some shit.

and yeah, i really am too lazy to find it and link - sorry.