Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Peer-To-Peer file sharing results in prison term

Peer-To-Peer charges net prison term
    Conviction is part of crackdown on file-sharing service Elite Torrents
    ABINGDON, Va. - A network administrator for a peer-to-peer Internet file-sharing system has been sentenced to five months in prison for copyright infringement.

Grant T. Stanley, 23, was also given five months of home detention, three years of supervised probation and a $3,000 fine for his role in the Elite Torrents service, which used a sharing technology known as BitTorrent. Stanley, who had pleaded guilty to copyright-related charges, was sentenced Oct. 17.

Stanley is one of three people convicted through Operation D-Elite, a federal crackdown on suppliers of pirated works to Elite Torrents, which agents shut down in May 2005.

At one time, the Elite Torrents network had more than 133,000 members and allegedly facilitated the illegal distribution of more than 2 million copies of movies, software, music and games. Federal officials said "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith" was available through Elite Torrents six hours before it even debuted in theaters.

"We hope this case sends the message that cyberspace will not provide a shield of anonymity for those who choose to break our copyright laws," U.S. Attorney John Brownlee said in a statement.
    Rest easy America, your tax dollars are at work to keep these hardened file sharing scumbags off the streets! For Great Justice!

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

GOOD.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Guess these idiots never heard of Napster.

HAY GUYS LETS KEEP ALL THE FILES ON ONE SERVER.

The point of BT is so you dont do that >.>

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well, it is against the law. And it doesn't make sense to say that they shouldn't convict any copyright infringers until they convict all the rapists and murderers.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

To get a prison sentence for copyright infringement, that has to be charges for 'intentional copyright infringement.' Meaning he knew that what he was doing was entirely illegal and also received a cease and desist letter and he ignored. So, this guy deserves some wiener in his butt. Good job, champ. I'm glad someone finally gets to be the example.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko
    To get a prison sentence for copyright infringement, that has to be charges for 'intentional copyright infringement.' Meaning he knew that what he was doing was entirely illegal and also received a cease and desist letter and he ignored. So, this guy deserves some wiener in his butt. Good job, champ. I'm glad someone finally gets to be the example.
    ROFL...

CEO of Enron 6months (Stole millions of dollars)
    Victor Conte 4 months (Juiced all of baeball)
    Joe Buttafuco 6months (Statutory Rape)

and OMG!

Peer-to-peer sharing....5 months. Fine fucking legal system we have. Yeah, he deserves penis in his butt. Classy.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    ROFL...

and OMG!

Peer-to-peer sharing....5 months. Fine fucking legal system we have. Yeah, he deserves penis in his butt. Classy.
    Couldnt have said it better lol, for great justice!

A. Body
    BG Level

ROFL...

and OMG!

lol... what he did was illegal and wrong, but when you put it this way it really does seem kinda ridiculous XD

The music industry CEOs should take it in the butt for trying to sell me 30 min of crappy music for $30.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Devek
    The music industry CEOs should take it in the butt for trying to sell me 30 min of crappy music for $30.
    Not all music is signed to "10 shitty songs and 2 good songs for $18.99USD" record labels. :wink:

Relic Shield
    BG Level

ROFL...

and OMG!

If you don't like the system, get rich so you can do whatever you want and spend minimal time in jail.

And since when should we base people's jail time on other people's jail time? So they fucked up all the rich people's jail time so I guess we should shorten jail time fore everyone else too.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan
    WoW Realm
    Spinebreaker

peer to peer file sharing vs. Spammers... hmmm get the bloody spammers plz - -;

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

Here in Birmingham, we just lost a police officer in the line of duty, an officer named Mary Smith. She was shot to death by a man who was convicted of murder 1 at 19, considered a juvenile, and let off, then convicted later of armed robbery, and sentenced to 10 years in prison. He was paroled after one year, and subsequently shot a police officer. This is the trash we have walking our streets, and our law enforcement is worried about file sharing. For great justice indeed. Move fucking Zig.

PS If I like a band or an album, I'll buy it because I want to support good music. If I don't buy your album, it's because you suck and I just want to listen once or twice to verify just how bad you do suck.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Melchiah
    Here in Birmingham, we just lost a police officer in the line of duty, an officer named Mary Smith. She was shot to death by a man who was convicted of murder 1 at 19, considered a juvenile, and let off, then convicted later of armed robbery, and sentenced to 10 years in prison. He was paroled after one year, and subsequently shot a police officer. This is the trash we have walking our streets, and our law enforcement is worried about file sharing. For great justice indeed. Move fucking Zig.

Well I dont think cops go around busting p2p sharers and bust swat on their asses to arrest them.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Guess these idiots never heard of Napster.

HAY GUYS LETS KEEP ALL THE FILES ON ONE SERVER.

The point of BT is so you dont do that >.>

They only hosted the torrent, what killed them is the fact that they had it on their site before the showing of it in the theaters.

I remember it was a work print.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I think there was another guy from the Enron thing that got 2 years and change.

As for the filesharing thing, I think the very fact that it's possible means that the concept of paying for physical media is outdated and can be safely discarded. At least 80% of the money goes to marketing and the publisher's profits, so it would be far more efficient to simply switch to an iTunes paradigm or something.

+10 pages?
    Oh wait, it's just RL. That's worth +2 max.