Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

The strongest melee class?

So I got thinking that after I bring BLM up on my hume that I should take a melee class to 75 for something different.

What I wanted to know is what do you think is the best melee class given best items in the game minus the insanely hard to get things along the lines of kraken/relic/mythic/avitems/pwitems ect and they are all equally geared and skilled?

I like the idea of WAR as it seems like such a beatstick for merits and HNM with a 2h axe, but there is THF who can just do insane damage in the right hands and makes for a good farmer. I always wanted to level SAM and they have some awesome abilities and look badass, then there is DRG and to quote someone from alla regarding DRG,...

From being the strongest DRG/SAM penta spamming job you could get (well maybe old RNG sidewinder spam was better), to lol-DRG, back up to "We want at least 1-2 DRG for everything".
    Seems about right from what I heard, and on my other character I tool DRG up to 54 before taking RNG up(before RNG nerf right after pentaspam nerf) and loved DRG's different playstyle and unique synergy with its pet and your subjob.

Then there is RNG which seems to still kick ass and take names.

I wanted to know what you guys thought about which do you think is the strongest in endgame merit/hnm/other events ect and how in demand is said job comparativly?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Samurai. End of story.

Can lock topic;p

This will not end well.
    My vote is for WAR all the way.

In terms of jobs you can play with AH gear and not R/E (E body/BB etc); SAM is probably your best bet. DRKs with good gear will win zergs which is a lot of end game now, WARs are hard to beat overall (HNM, merit, dyna etc) with all the R/E goodies.

Disclaimer: depends how you play, your gear, etc etc.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Shit is situational.

I like to think of evaluating melee in terms of "potential reached" in terms of accuracy/attack relative to your opponent as well as how many buffs you have.

Samurai are very good at damage in a low potential situation due to the pdif/accuracy bonus on their main WS, and the fact they do not rely very much on per-hit damage. Dark Knight (with Scythe at least) is okay but not amazing at these low potential situations, but at high potential are rather devastating due to Guillotine dealing tremendous damage and Last Resort being able to cap your haste (albeit for 30 seconds) which allows you to do insane damage in that window.

Tl;dr - shit is situational. I don't think there is an all-round best melee, but there are the more versatile ones.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Well with angon being so damn awesome and factoring in wyvern damage it seems DRG is up there now more then it was before.

I guess on a seperate note, SMN vs BLM who will win? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong View Post
    Shit is situational.
    More like SAM is situational.

And by "situational" I mean appropriate for every situation.

Failed Sex Ed
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raitoken View Post
    the best melee class given best items in the game minus the insanely hard to get things along the lines of kraken/relic/mythic/avitems/pwitems ect and they are all equally geared and skilled?
    war/sam beeeeetch

sorry my post is so worthless :/

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Having Drk, drg and war at 75, I'd say the one that gets the e-peen going with the least effort goes to war/sam.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

One thing, THF cannot do "insane" damage in the right hands. around lv33 it could, sure. The game is just stacked against 1h DDs. You want strong melee, you find a 2hander.

Though MNK is pretty damn good. they're like the anomaly.

SAM is awesome, DRG DRK and WAR are awesome. If you solo much, I'd recommend DRG.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by tonystigma View Post
    One thing, THF cannot do "insane" damage in the right hands. around lv33 it could, sure. The game is just stacked against 1h DDs. You want strong melee, you find a 2hander.

SAM is awesome, DRG DRK and WAR are awesome. If you solo much, I'd recommend DRG.
    He speaks wise and true.

All those melee do very good damage. At HNM levels, you'll see a lot of WARs and SAMs though. DRK and DRG will probably make you cry trying to find EXP PTs unless that has changed (doubt it).

If you level WAR, do yourself a favor and at level 20, get a Neck Chopper and then use Great Axe for the rest of the game. Rampage is fun, but you will NOT do as much damage as a properly geared/build GAxe WAR.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tonystigma View Post

SAM is broken, DRG DRK and WAR are awesome. If you solo much, I'd recommend DRG.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Okan View Post
    He speaks wise and true.

All those melee do very good damage. At HNM levels, you'll see a lot of WARs and SAMs though. DRK and DRG will probably make you cry trying to find EXP PTs unless that has changed (doubt it).

If you level WAR, do yourself a favor and at level 20, get a Neck Chopper and then use Great Axe for the rest of the game. Rampage is fun, but you will NOT do as much damage as a properly geared/build GAxe WAR.
    Have you played this game the last year or 2? DRK and DRG get exp party very fast.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I really tried to avoid saying that, but that is also true. I'm scared to say SE loves SAM because the last time I saw something like that, the company "corrected" the class in to the ground. (Sup WoW Warlock)

Edit: I haven't played it for the last 3 so to answer your question: NOPELOL. (Excluding the last month that I have been since I just came back to goof off)

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I smell Advanced.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

My drg got more/faster invites than any other job...

Now the fact that I was lvling it when 2h was broken as hell and you could run an infinite chain on birds in the 50s is beside the point <.<!

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    MONKey nuff said

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Every melee class have their pros/cons, their flaws and their strenghts.

There is no definite X > Y.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    I smell Advanced.
    I am pretty sure this falls under the sticky discussions with meat vs sushi / war vs mnk ect debates.

Feel free however to post it in advanced and link to here or move it :D

I am also leaning twords SAM myself, it looks like an amazing job to play and high endgame demand for talented ones, I might level it over BLM next just to get a different position in a party and playstyle.

Keep responses coming :D

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Something to think about though as well is the interchangeable gear of certain jobs. Like I loved the fact that so much gear was shared between WAR DRK DRG for me. Made life a lot easier. Plus I got to ding into spiffy stuff. So you might want to consider what your next 2-3 jobs are you want to level. Like follow up SAM with MNK or NIN etc.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast