+ Reply to Thread

Who's ready for some football?

Man I am so pumped for the NFL Season to start, I hope I am not the only one. Sure I am from Pittsburgh, and that gives me some additional slack to being excited; but obviously their offseason and preseason has not been something to be excited about.
    -Probably the best storyline of the season is the whole thing in Dallas: who is Parcells going to kill first? Bledsoe, TO or Vanderjagt? This espn columnist put it best:
    Here's Owens, the worst teammate alive, someone with a history of selling his QBs out and getting frustrated when they screw up … and they throw him together with the oversensitive Bledsoe, who takes more bad sacks, throws more dumb picks and fumbles the ball in more key spots than just about anyone? How could this possibly unfold smoothly?
    -Will the Seahawks choke with two curses against them? Madden cover and being a Superbowl loser?
    -Will the Patriots be back for blood? Again a great quote from the same article:
    Tom Brady, who has the same look on his face that Uma Thurman had after she left the hospital in "Kill Bill." I don't think he's cracked a smile since the Denver game: No more magazine covers, very few interviews, very few public appearances … just a lot of lifting, throwing and scowling for nine straight months.
    -Another inevitable Redskins collapse like every year when everyone says they are going to be good.
    -The Cardinals bandwagon falling apart:
    you realize that the Arizona QBs are Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart, right? Warner was washed up three years ago; Leinart lost me forever during the episode of "Punk'd" when the cops mock-arrested him and a friend for soliciting a prostitute, then agreed to drop Leinart's charges if he sold out his buddy
    I think I said enough and made this post long winded enough, but I am ready for some football!

You a Steelers fan too?
    I'm ready to cry because Ben and Ward aren't playing 1st game. I mean come ooooooooon

What is Parcel's gripe with Vanderjagt?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Bengals ftw!

Old Merits
    BG Level

I am damn ready for some Football. Season ticket holder since the inagural season for the Jaguars. I will be there every home game and watching the rest on TV. I have mixed feelings about how my team will do, losing Jimmy Smith to retirement then Greg Jones lost for the season with a knee injury in a damn preseason game. The Jags play Dallas week one, I hope Donovin Darius knocks TO the fuck out. Might not make the playoffs this year, but it will be an interesting ride as usual.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm a Dolphins fan...so, let Heinzcatsup Ward and Roethlischeeseburger rest just this one week.

OMG, just over 27 hours to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    What is Parcel's gripe with Vanderjagt?
    Vanderjagt isn't on the Colts anymore because he's a frigging loud mouth who blamed all his teammates for losing when he missed the field goal. I assume he is still the same person.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I live in Jacksonville and you can quote me and make me run around at every LS event for a month in a subligar if I'm wrong. The Jaguars will never go anywhere with Leftwich at QB. The guy sucks. How he's got by scoring 17pts every game is a miracle by their superawesome defense.
    No more Jimmy Smith also takes away every important TD they ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyway
    You a Steelers fan too?
    I'm ready to cry because Ben and Ward aren't playing 1st game. I mean come ooooooooon
    Yes I am, from Pittsburgh all my life. By the way, Ward has been updated to "questionable" from "doubtful" so he should most likely play.
    And yea what Anyway said about Vanderjagt too, also, he missed two game winning field goals in the one preseason game.
    And Fryte, I am not going to say the Steelers will win, but your nicknames you gave them are retarded and now you have Flaunte who has not been good since Moss left. He was a total joke before he had his knee blown up last year.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I agree about Daunte. He has to prove himself to me. Otherwise, he's Kurt Warner in my eyes. MVP one year, mass-suck otherwise. I could care less about playoffs or Super Bowl as long as we sweep the Patriots.

Nice, dude, I really wish I could live in Pittsburgh. I go to around 4 home games a year and driving 3-4 hours each time sucks ass, haha. Making fun of their names really isn't insulting to them because every time I go to Pitts, I go to this 1 place for lunch and order a Roethlisburger.

Yeah I heard that he was upgraded to doubtful, but knowing Cowher, he's not going to play him if he isn't 100%. Let's go Batch!

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anyway
    Vanderjagt isn't on the Colts anymore because he's a frigging loud mouth who blamed all his teammates for losing when he missed the field goal. I assume he is still the same person.
    that's BS, everything i've read about that lost he said that it was a kick he should've made and it was his fault. it was his teammates who said stuff like "it's not like we were winning the game before he got out there, everyone has to take the heat for it"

the only real negative things Vanderjagt really did was go on that Canadian ESPN show thing and call Manning and Dungy soft (which wasn't totally inaccurate). supposedly he was also drunk when he got on there or something and that's why Manning called him the "idiot kicker".

he seems like one of those people who'll answer any question even if the answer isn't something you should normally say in public. most of the negative stuff is just media fabrication.

if he makes his kicks which he wasn't doing in the preseason, he won't be part of the soap opera that is Dallas this season.

TO, Bledsoe, Parcells and Jerry Jones will definitely be fun if TO goes off as expected.

Shaun Alexander is not going to be as good this year, curse or no curse cause Hutchinson went to Minnesota. the only thing that'll save him is the sorry NFC West.

Larry Johnson will also not be as good this year as last. he will not have 2000 yards like some people are saying cause Willie Roaf retired and Kyle Turley at this point is nowhere close to Willie Roaf.

the Redskins, Cardinals and Dolphins will not be nearly as good as most people say they should be this year.

and i don't see us (Pittsburgh) beating Miami if Ward doesn't play either and that sucks. repeating in the NFL is hard, beating the Colts and Patriots this year will be really hard. realistically, it'll be one of those two from the AFC and most likely the Panthers out of the NFC.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fryte
    I live in Jacksonville and you can quote me and make me run around at every LS event for a month in a subligar if I'm wrong. The Jaguars will never go anywhere with Leftwich at QB. The guy sucks. How he's got by scoring 17pts every game is a miracle by their superawesome defense.
    No more Jimmy Smith also takes away every important TD they ever had.
    Last year Byron averaged 23 points a game and had the 9th best QB rating in the NFL. He also had a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio, which is better than most of the NFL QBs. Yes the defense carries the Jaguars, that much is obvious. Leftwich isn't the team's biggest problem right now. Hell the QB situation isn't horrible period, the Jones injury and young WRs concern me. Maurice Williams giving up 4.5 sacks in one game to old-man Willie McGinest wasn't too good either (sacked Garrard 2.5 times in one quarter lol). Then there is the Fred Taylor injury watch (sick of that one). I hope one of the young WRs steps it up, they seem to have talent.

By your comments on wanting to sweep the Patriots more than go to the playoffs, you are surely an idiot. I would take a sweep from my worst rival if it meant my team could win a Superbowl. I would rather look at the big picture and win a Superbowl or just go to the playoffs than just win 2 games against a rival.

Culpepper might not be the same, I went to UCF during Dante's senior and junior years and he looked different this preseason. He still might recover from the injury and put up good fantasy football stats, that doesn't mean he will win the big games that count the most (kinda like Peyton has done all his college/pro career). Dolphins have an aging defense that still might have another year in the tank. Their OLine is suspect in pass protection in my opinion (like the Jaguars) and they will rely on their running game to take pressure off the passing game.

Everyone keeps saying Colts but I'm going to love it when people see how good Peyton plays when he has no running game. Rhodes/Addai are not at all threatening compared to Edge. Teams couldn't blitz Peyton as much because Edge was there. I'm going to enjoy watching Peyton take sack after sack.

Steelers' chance to repeat relies heavily on what Willie Parker does. If he performs, we have a chance, if he doesn't... well.

Black Belt
    BG Level

they've played well without Edge for long stretches before and their defense is better now than it was than.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I dont think you understand my depth of hatred for Tom Brady. Some people are too damn good. Just throw him in the Hall of Fame so my team can win.

Fred Taylor (if healthy for 20 games) is a top 5 back, imho. Greg Jones would've been a nice backup, but *sigh*. That Maurice Drew kid shows promise, he doesn't have the size, but good god speed and acceleration make up for it. I'm a Dolphins fan 1st, Jaguar fan 2nd. I just don't see them going anywhere with a guy that has the longest and widest wind-up in the NFL.

If I had to pick a year for the Dolphins to be better than they have since Marino left, it'd be this one. Only because the defense will only be as good as Zach Thomas can play (he's in his 11th year ).

As for league-wide picks -

AFC East:
    Patriots probably (how many key players can they lose and still win?), but hopefully Dolphins. The Bills and Jets...I don't know wtf is going on there. Do these teams even have QBs? One thing I will say about the Bills, Willis McGahee. JACKPOT.

AFC West:
    Chiefs. Slight upgrades to mediocre/crappy defense and even a small upgrade to the best offense will still be better than half of the crap offenses in the league. The Chargers...lol philip rivers.

AFC South:
    Jaguars. I think Indy's defense last year was a 1 year deal and the loss of Edgerrin is going to injure Peyton.

AFC North:
    Bengals. I can't believe I'm saying this about the Bungles. Carson Palmer is a future MVP.

NFC East:
    Redskins. Joe Gibbs is not to be fucked with. The freak show in Dallas is just getting started and the Eagles are on the decline.

NFC West:
    I really, really, really want to see Arizona do well, but I fear it'll be Seattle on top.

NFC South:
    Panthers. These are the Patriots of the NFC. They'll be good as long as they have Delhomme and John Fox.

NFC North:
    Can I say none? The Bears look most promising. Maybe I'm biased from watching Grossman at UF, but I think he's got it in him if he can ever stay healthy for more than 2 games at a time.[/code]

Yea IF Vanderjagt makes his kicks he won't be a big part of the drama, but he really is not making his kicks. He has been a head case since that AFC Divisional Game against the Steelers when he missed that kick. Being a professional athlete is at least half mental, if not more, and his head is fucked now. Both those kicks he missed in the game against Minnesota in the preseason were to the right just like the one in the playoff game.
    lol @ the Colts. People say this every single preseason guys. Manning will fall apart during the playoffs again. They will win 12 or 13 games, win their first playoff game (or have a bye), and then lose the second or the AFC Championship, there is no way Peyton ever wins a Super Bowl. Give him all the passing records at the end of his career (probably) but he will have 0 Super Bowls. And for this round it will be his fault w/ all that talent he had, unlike Marino who had no talent.
    I agree with you a lot of the Steelers season rides on Fast Willie and I have been worried about it all offseason. I know that he got 1200 yards, but it will be tough not having a big bruiser behind him. I suppose Verron Haynes will be their for 3rd down, but he is no Bus. And I think Ward will play Thursday. Yes go Chaz Batch!