Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Crystal and Day synthesis.

Hey guys, i am currently a 98 woodworker on Asura, and this question has been floating about in my head for a while so i thought i might as well as post it in here since this forum gets a larget amount of traffic. Hopefully i'll get knowledgeable answers.

The idea of crafting on the right day at the right direction has been rumored for a long time now and ppl are still very skeptical to the idea. I am mostly interested in the idea of HQing direction. For instance, many believe that you can hq wind crystal synthesis more often if you were to synth on watersday or on iceday. Watersday because it is right before windsday, so therefore, many believe that if you synth on the day right before the day of the crystal element, you will get max hq. Some believe that you can hq on iceday because wind is weak to ice and you are putting tenstion and/or stress on the crystal and it has more chances of breaks and hq synths.

For the idea of the right direction, i have heard 2 right ways as well. 1 idea is that if you synth the direction of the crystal, you increase the level of your craft by giving it more energy of the designated crystal. For instance, if you use a wind crsytal, if you face south east, you'll have added wind energy to the crsytal. Another one is that of the weak direction. If you use a crsytal and face its weak direction, you will get max hq/skill ups. This direciton is east which is the direciton of ice. So many people i know face east on iceday for best wind results.

I dont know if any of this makes sense or not, but it is what i have heard and i honestly myself have seen better results facing east on iceday for wind crsytal as well. The random factor is what the game drives on and its all just a game of chance, i know that. But if there is a way to improve those chances, even by 1%, i'd like to hear it.

Please post your experiences in crafting direciton/day on here, i would like to gather data from everyone so i can hopefully put my mind to rest on this subject.

If you're a 98 crafter you should know by now that:

1) 50% of Crafting is all pure theory
    2) 47% is critical failure
    3) 2% is NQ
    4) 1% is HQ

8)

I go by elemental order and elemental direction (ie. using wind crystals on ice, facing east), no sheer way to prove anything, but it suits my fancy.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I always face south. I don't know why.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Hello Preet, nice to see you

I used to go along with all of this day/moon phase/direction thing myself, but not being one to just believe what others say is true, i set out to test things myself. And the results were so contradictory and conflicting to eachother that there was no way for me to extract a meaningful "method" to say "this is how you max skill ups" or "this is how you get HQ" I'd have just as many good results on "bad days" to craft as i had bad results on "good days" to craft. IMHO, there is no "secret" to making HQ's, or any method that will allow you to obtain them a higher percentage than what is average for the tier that you are synthing at. If you want more HQ's, make more attempts, its as simple as that.

Of course, just being plain lucky helps alot too. But luck swings both ways

See you in game ^^

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Only days I believe are Darksday and Lightsday, experience tells me that much.

As for direction, I used to believe the compass but that never did me much good, so now I just craft wherever I'm standing, or sometimes face north. I once logged on from a mule in my MH and my first synth, facing North at the moogle, I got a HQ on a skillup so I made it superstition.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    I always face south. I don't know why.
    I always face north west, for the same reason.

Everyone HQ i've made for someone was on days they "didn't want to wait" for any specific crafting conditions.

And sadly i've never HQ'd anything for myself or to sell >.< Only HQ i see for myself is on leather, and that doesn't ammount to shit. Which in all honesty i don't get why woodworks get to HQ logs, but we can't HQ hides lol.

IMO Leather just hates me. lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Eromenos-Ifrit
    Everyone HQ i've made for someone was on days they "didn't want to wait" for any specific crafting conditions.

And sadly i've never HQ'd anything for myself or to sell >.< Only HQ i see for myself is on leather, and that doesn't ammount to shit. Which in all honesty i don't get why woodworks get to HQ logs, but we can't HQ hides lol.

I don't get to HQ juices, au laits, or mulsem- I feel your pain.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I've HQed about 500 cloths to get the same exact thing as an NQ. It sucks for a lot of crafts that way ; ;

blax n gunz
    BG Level

3) 2% is NQ
    4) 1% is HQ
    You're implying you can hq things at a 50% rate.

2.99999% is NQ
    0.00001% is HQ

unless you have a /jpbutton, in which case you get your numbers.

For the prevailing theories on direction/HQ/success relationships (and the standard accompaniment of 'that's bullshit, man') see this old thread:

http://www.theorderls.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2779

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Katalya
    This was my first attempt, I was just planning on signing Errant Hpl. for a friend. So is it just pure luck? Or does the day and the direction have a little to do with it?

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I HQ'd Mahatma Slops on my 3rd skillup synth at 89.1, therefore obviously the key is to be 4.9 levels under the cap.

The more you craft the more you learn there is no pattern and we are all subject to the random number generator. One synth proves nothing. I've never seen the percentages waiver at any time under any day ever, really :/ I craft as many HQ's when I'm not "supposed" to craft as on the days I am "supposed" to craft.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Eromenos-Ifrit

That's why I've stopped making shit for people.

Randomly crafted a pair of cursed leggings -1 for someone (This one was even done in "BAD HQ" time).
    Randomly crafted a pair of cursed mittens -1 for someone (was facing "SUCCESS DIRECTION", dont remember the time).

But I take 6 stacks of coral fragments, sit my ass down on "PRIME HQ TIME", and face my ass in "PRIME HQ DIRECTION" (well actually my ass faces the opposite direction, but whatever), and I pump out around 30 Coral Earrings, not one HQ.

Later, I set myself up for 15 straight Dragon Legging synths, and I walk off with 15 Dragon Leggings and 0 Dragon Leggings +1.

Repeat that for ~20 Igquira Manillas and 0 Genie Manillas.

So, to prevent HQing shit for others while I walk around with NQ's...I just dont craft for people. Say what you want, but its a huge fucking downer to whitebox other people at complely random times and not whiteboxing myself when I attempt to.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Some people on my server will synth for you, but if they HQ said item, they keep the HQ and give you HQ plus some money.. Usually like 5-10% of normal NQ price or something. Usually not too much, but enough to make you happy.

Formerly Armani
    BG Level

A female elvaan synthesized a SH+1 on Bahamut while skilling up.

Who the fuck (besides vet cloth/gold who have no choice) skills up on mutlimillion gil items?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

who the fuck would skill up on SH?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by royze
    who the fuck would skill up on SH?
    Because people can RMT gil, not common sense.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

If you are talking about the female elvaan Audria no he doesn't RMT.
    He got a claw from Genbu I think it was and decided to craft it to sign his own SH and there he goes with an HQ. Pure luck.