BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low Numbers Byakko?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Low Numbers Byakko?

I'm curious what experiences people have with doing Byakko with lowish numbers?

For example, what's the lowest you've killed it with and what was your setup?

I'd imagine a couple NIN/DRKs, a couple BRDs, and a few BLMs could manage it... and yes, I'm sure Avesta has soloed it, haha... but I'm interested in a more conventional approach that won't take half the day and require me to pee in a bottle.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Re: Low Numbers Byakko?

I've done it with 12 people before...but that was because the people I asked ended up inviting a few more to be on the safe side, and we didn't have any issues whatsoever.

The setup then was 2 PLD/NIN, 1 NIN/DRK, 1 BRD, 1 RDM, 1 WHM tank party, with 1 BLM, 1 RNG, 2 BRD, 1 SAM, 1 THF DD party

I'm sure you can easily cut 1 tank, 1 BRD and 2 DD from that setup and still not have much of an issue. I had planned to do it with like 9 people, but yeah, more of my friends decided to help, and can't say I was complaining (went 0/2 on haidate though, so that was a bitch)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

For non zerg type mobs, and mobs that don't rage..imho all you need to do is have a solid tank party, once you can survive a mob you can easily kill it..

For instance if a tank party of 6 can indefinitely hold byakko without issue....then any DD and support you add will only speed up the fight..

Byakko does not regen, I can see 6-8 doing it comfortably..but it will take a bit of time certainly not piss in a cup status..the more you add faster it goes!

New Merits
    BG Level

No matter how good the players, nothing saves you from that Diaga -> Claw Cyclone thing he likes to do, so backup tanks will be your best asset. Definitely bring an East Wind.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Loren
    No matter how good the players, nothing saves you from that Diaga -> Claw Cyclone thing he likes to do, so backup tanks will be your best asset. Definitely bring an East Wind.
    I don't see him one shot tanks with that crap....at least not since noob days of 1250 HP paladins using fish mithkabobs

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Byakko can catch you offguard pretty easily but nowadays nowhere close enough to faceplant you unless people are being braindead, especially if you have shadows. I think at one point last byakko I got triple attacked x2 followed by a razor claw and that rocked me down to 108 HP, the following attack was blocked for 77 and a cure V was on me by that point.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Yeah he definitely has the capacity to throw out 1000++ damage on a tank pretty easily and fast, but if your co tank is paying attention and your healer I dont think its a big deal, just keep people's HP up....
    I don't see it as the potential to wipe a good group at anytime kind of thing like it used to be a long time ago...

Also I find it fairly easy to land Elegy and Slow on Byakko if your RDM and BRD are well geared....which makes him far easier to tank....so I wouldn't try this cat low numbers without good enfeeblers

I stick paralyze and it doesn't proc on RDM...but Jubaku procs for NIN go figure !

New Merits
    BG Level

I've done it with 10 before.

PLD/NIN NIN/DRK RDM/DRK WHM/BLM WHM/BLM BRD/WHM

BRD/WHM RNG/WAR BLM/something(notSMN)x2.

Was pretty easy. BLM and RDM cycled stun for a lock. RNG hit the wind to make him wussier. PLD/NIN and NIN/DRK bounced hate. Was cake walk.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by LLK

Was pretty easy. BLM and RDM cycled stun for a lock. RNG hit the wind to make him wussier. PLD/NIN and NIN/DRK bounced hate. Was cake walk.
    With your full Heca Gear, how many times did your level 3 shield proc?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ^^

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by skurlover
    Quote Originally Posted by LLK

With your full Heca Gear, how many times did your level 3 shield proc?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ^^
    I was the NIN/DRK