+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 speaker sets 1 comp?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

2 speaker sets 1 comp?

How do I setup two different sets of speakers onto one computer?

i have 2.1 speakers that i got for my birthday and older 2.0 speakers.

now next question is there anyway to set them up to work together as 4/5.1?

do have a sound card alrdy if its needed(soundblaster Audigy 4)

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Analog sound output for 4/5/whatever channel sound on a PC just normally has multiple 1/8" jacks to plus the corresponding speakers into. The jacks should be labeled or color coded, usually green for the main and then whatever your rear speaker output is.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Yeah, you can probably just plug the 2.0 speakers in to your Rear-L/R slot and then set up the speaker manager in Windows to run as a 4.1 system. To my knowledge subwoofer data is sent through the Front-L/R jack for most analogue speaker setups.

well i got them set up just to test out to see if they work and they do(still need to get a audio extention cable as they only barly strectch to behind my chair lol) its just the sound coming out of them isent realy what i thout it would be its just low music(in MPC i played with the speaker setings and turned off everything but the 2 i have set as rear to see what they sound like) is that what is saposed to happen?

what i tested it on was AHQ FMA 5.1 eng dub audio witch dosent work right on just 2.1 speakers(does sound almost perfect now with current set up)

Quote Originally Posted by Calina View Post
    well i got them set up just to test out to see if they work and they do(still need to get a audio extention cable as they only barly strectch to behind my chair lol) its just the sound coming out of them isent realy what i thout it would be its just low music(in MPC i played with the speaker setings and turned off everything but the 2 i have set as rear to see what they sound like) is that what is saposed to happen?

what i tested it on was AHQ FMA 5.1 eng dub audio witch dosent work right on just 2.1 speakers(does sound almost perfect now with current set up)
    Basically in this set up, your sound drivers are emulating 5.1 with an analog signal. Some applications wont work very well under these conditions as it's truly 2.1 + 2.0 not 5.1 - center (center is very important for a true 5.1 setup). So depending on the application you'll end up with just a left/right in the back, and left/right in the front.

On a true 5.1 set up, the drivers will actually control the sound that reaches each speaker. Vocals center; instruments left/right; and ambient on back. etc. You might be able to get it working like this, but idk really, not a sound guru.

that acculy explains it i think its the ambient thats coming out of the back i just never reilized it was split up like that till you put it that way thz

so they are working how there saposed to i guess problem solved theres nothing eles i can do short of buying a 5.1 spaker set since missing the center speaker is whats realy making the problem i think cuase iam thinkin of it like it was 5 channles back and front-L/R and center all tring to play threw just 2 speakers that was making all the distortion in the sound

once i pluged in the second set it made a huge difference distortion was almost all gone

its still a little off but i guess i can live with that

thanks for all the help^^

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

You should make sure you've got your sound card/Windows set up as a 4.1 speaker setup, not 5.1. Some sound cards or audio codecs may split the centre speaker signal across the front L/R speakers, but not all do. By setting your computer to a 4.1 setup it will evenly split the centre sounds between your front speakers so you won't get dull or washed-out sound.

it is set to 4.1 in both windows and my sound card