BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Playstation 3 & router issues (Ports?)

As some of you might be aware of, PS3 (And other consoles perhaps?) may require the use of port forwarding or just overall DMZ for some games to function better.

Modern Warfare 2 for instance, generally Strict / Type 3 NAT hinders finding games. I've had my PS3 for about 2 weeks now with little problems, but while the NAT type on the PS3's internet connection is always Type 2 (Moderate), the game's own listing jumps around between Open, moderate and Strict.

So, I figured I would give port forwarding a shot. I decided first to try just listing it under the DMZ and then basically all of the wireless stopped functioning, so I took it out and relisted the default 192.168.1.0 to deactivate it (Its a Linksys router, and an old one at that).

I tried listing the actual ports to forward to the WAN IP but that basically did the same thing to my wireless as listing it under the DMZ so I took that off.

Now all of the internet seems to work fine except I am unable to join ANY MW2 game lobbies. I don't understand what exactly that means, and how it will affect other aspects of my home network. I can only imagine it being that a port is still blocked somehow but I don't know why it would be after I took those settings off.

I've reset the router and cycled the power on the router and modem a number of times. I'm out of ideas at this point and after 3 hours of dicking around with it I'm getting frustrated. I can see no reason why it will connect me all the way up to a game lobby and then just refuse to join game etc.

I originally asked some questions in the gaming section itself for the game but I feel this is more a tech problem than anything else.

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Try disabling UPnP on your PS3's connection settings.

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Okay, attempted that now in custom settings and tried the game again. Still same issues, tried letting it run through ping up to <140ms a few times, no dice. Quite a few "Trying to join game x/x"s but nothing comes of it.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Have you tried wiring it directly to your modem/whatever to ensure it is the router that's causing the problems?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Have you tried wiring it directly to your modem/whatever to ensure it is the router that's causing the problems?
    I haven't because the router is in a spot where I can't easily access it to a TV screen etc.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Have you tried disabling uPnP in the router? What happens when you run a connection test on the PS3?

Is this only on MW2? or trouble with other online games as well?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by virusiidx View Post
    Have you tried disabling uPnP in the router? What happens when you run a connection test on the PS3?

Is this only on MW2? or trouble with other online games as well?
    I actually don't see any settings on the router for UPnP. I tried disabling it in the settings on PS3 and had no effect.

What annoys me is that every other aspect of my internet works, even on the PS3. I connect to PSN fine. I get through to activision servers or which ever company stores MW2 stats/unlocks/ranks, download them fine. I can send/receive messages. The minute I try to connect to a host for a game, OR to join a friend's party, OR host a party, it tells me to go fuck myself.

Edit: sorry, MW2 is the only game of this type for PS3 I currently have, I just got it lol. I have dragon age I can pop in and see if it connects to EA for content etc.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Warhawk demo has online play, can try that for testing if you don't mind downloading a 900mb file.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

DMZ your router then port forward the correct IPs for MW2 & PS3 online play. Make sure your PS3 is assigned a static IP address (you'll need to enable your router as a DHCP server for this, I can't go into specifics of how to set static addresses based on MAC addresses since every router's interface is different)

If this doesn't work... Check to see if your router is on DD-WRT's supported devices list and install it (if you can). Unless there is some type of hardware problem with your router this will solve your problem - and I can walk you through the exact steps you'll need to take in order to get it working.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I tried entering the PS3's static IP as the DMZ Host, didn't work. I set up port forwarding as well according to this I found:

http://portforward.com/english/route..._Warfare_2.htm

also didn't work.

Edit: Also tried port 3074 which activision lists on its support page as the port for MW2 for PS3. Also didn't work.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I had this exact same problem. My solution was having to update the firmware on my router. I don't know if the problem is exact to yours, but the lobby would run through testing rooms, then come back with a "No games found". So I did pretty much everything listed in here (DMZ, static IP, open every possible port that could be used) and still no dice. Updated firmware, did the same adjustments, worked perfectly.

Tl;dr Look into updating firmware

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

How do I go about updating firmware?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kadaj View Post
    How do I go about updating firmware?
    You should be able to find the most up-to-date firmware from the manufacturers site, just jot down the make and model it asks for, and download it from them. Then you can access the firmware update from the router UI (where you oprn ports, etc etc) under Administration, or something similar.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Alright, I'm on the linksys page for my old ass router:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/...W11S4/download

Version 2

There's 3 options. Firmware, Setup Wizard, and Upgrade Instructions

I'm guessing firmware is the one I want? Not upgrade instructions? Or both?

Edit: Nvm. Upgrade Instr. is... Instructions.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Edit: Nvm. Upgrade Instr. is... Instructions.
    Some linksys routers need a seperate program to update the firmware, and not upgradeable from the UI, so that would be something to look into before you update.

Edit: Called TFTP.exe Should be able to google and download from somewhere

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thanks, I managed to figure it out. Instructions were major outdated but I got it upgraded. Interface looks a little easier to navigate now. I should have done this 6 years ago >>; Thanks for the tip.

So, with this upgraded, would my ports be open now and reset where I don't need to forward/DMZ? Or did the upgrade just make it so I have to do that and it actually *works*?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Oh, I just noticed this firmware has a UPnP option. Its disabled by default. Should I leave that as it is and make sure its disabled on PS3? Or open them both up?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Just logged into the game to try it, I'm connecting to players finally. Thank you so much guys, very much appreciated.

Should I still be concerned with setting up port forwarding etc? My usual philosophy is if it isn't broken don't fix it, which I broke to start this mess lol.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Just logged into the game to try it, I'm connecting to players finally. Thank you so much guys, very much appreciated.
    Heh, fantastic. When I updated my firmware, I was just taking a shot in the dark, but it seems like a pretty common problem with people that are having a hard time connecting a PS3 online, but they don't even realize it....I know I didn't for the longest time.