+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird network display bug     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Weird network display bug

I have a user who for some reason, no matter what network he connects to (whether it's at home, wifi at work, wired at work) it always shows the name of a verizon hotspot he used once. I went into his laptop, went into the wifi settings, told it to remove/forget that wifi, but the name itself still keeps showing up.

I have no clue what this guy did, and I can't find a fix so it stops showing every network he's connected to as that verizon hotspot. Any idea on how to fix it?

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Create a new dummy account on the computer and check to see if the issue persists on the new account? That will at least tell you if it is a system deep issue or an issue with the user account. Does this affect his ability to use wifi at all? If he connects to an SSID and it shows the wrong name can he still pass network traffic through the SSID?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I don't know if Microsoft does it, but Google records wifi access points that you've used previously to your account. If their local account is tied to a MS account, you may want to check their MS account page.

Edit: Yeah, they do. Try clearing the "Cloud Synced Settings" on https://account.microsoft.com/devices/

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Create a new dummy account on the computer and check to see if the issue persists on the new account? That will at least tell you if it is a system deep issue or an issue with the user account. Does this affect his ability to use wifi at all? If he connects to an SSID and it shows the wrong name can he still pass network traffic through the SSID?
    Yeah, no issues there. It's just weird that even his wired connection then shows the name of the hotspot. Unfortunately he works in a satellite office, and he's rarely there on Tuesday's, so haven't tried logging in as myself.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Does he have any Hyper-V set up on his computer? I had some weird ass issues with network adapters and names there a few years ago, though the details are lost to the mists of time.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Nope, brand new dell laptop and guy is so tech illeritate, I'm pretty sure I could swap it with a speak n' spell and he wouldn't know the difference.

It's taken three tickets for me to get through to him if he plugs his laptop onto the network, then turns on always on VPN, it makes everything go bonkers and won't let him print to the network printers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\ I think it was
    or from powershell (admin): Netsh wlan show profile
    then try to remove it from there with netsh wlan delete profile="profilename" (or just netsh wlan delete profile * if you can remove everything without it being a biggie)