Artifacting, GPU Temperatures

I recently purchased a new computer, an Alienware Aurora. Some specs:

Processor: AMD® Athlon™ X2 6400+ 3.2GHz Dual Core 2 x 1MB L2 Cache
    Power Supply: Alienware® 750 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
    Graphics Processor: Single Graphics Card - 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800 GT
    Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 1024MB
    Motherboard: Alienware® Approved AMD® 790FX Motherboard
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2

I'm running FFXI 1680 x 1050 and turned on anisotropic filtering and antialiasing on the card itself, which has done a fairly good job smoothing out the jaggies.

For the 3 weeks I've been using it, it has run FFXI very nicely compared to my old system - 8389-H, 10414-L on the Vana'diel Benchmark 3. I love it. But this morning, I had my first encounter with some artifacting on good ol' Hediva Isle. It was practically identical to that shown in the thread http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60865 so I won't bother posting my own screenshots.

I read that this problem is frequently due to overheating, so I downloaded RivaTuner and parked my ass outside the Whitegate MH for a few hours to monitor the GPU temperature. It seems that the card idles around 55-58 C in Windows, and cranks up to 75-78 C in intense situations in FFXI. Are these temperatures abnormal?

I'm far from computer "illiterate" but not extremely well-versed in these kinds of problems. So, I'd like to request some advice. Any suggestions on how to test/fix this problem?

My card reaches around that temp when I'm playing Crysis, that's too hot for just FFXI (8800gt). Try downloading nTune and bumping the fanspeeds on your card to 100%, or I think rivatuner might have a fan speed control too. My card's fan speed is 30% by default.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

That artifacting is probably due to driver issues and not due to overheating. Those temperatures are well within operating limits of that card. FFXI is a terrible way to test your video card, try downloading a true video card benchmark program like 3dMark06 and see if your card still artifacts when it's under extreme use.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by DionyShiva View Post
    My card reaches around that temp when I'm playing Crysis, that's too hot for just FFXI (8800gt). Try downloading nTune and bumping the fanspeeds on your card to 100%, or I think rivatuner might have a fan speed control too. My card's fan speed is 30% by default.
    9800's run pretty hot; I'm trying to find the whitepaper but iirc nVidia has stated that design load is around ~80C. (safety max is 105C)

that said, if you hadn't had artificating before and do now, that's a tell-tale sign that something has gone wrong with your card. I would consider RMA.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Thanks for the feedback. I increased my fan speed from 35% to 50% and the temperature dropped from 78 C to a much more comfortable 68 C.

It appears that 175.19 isn't compatible with the 9800GT, so I'm gonna install 177.79 and cross my fingers that random artifacts don't pop up again.