Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

The Most Important Skill for Bard

Just wish to hear everyone's opinion on which is the best skill to merit for bard. Feel free to give your observation and reason etc. Thanks! :D

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

Doesn't Singing effect all songs even with an instrument?

If not, Wind.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

My vote goes for Singing.

Elegy is the easiest shit to land, I never understood why people go apeshit over Wind skill+ gear.

String is a close second because Threnody is a bitch to land on HNMs and for Lullaby in Dynamis-Xarcabard.

PS. for party buffs, I've done my own personal testing on this crap and CHR, doesn't help, Singing skill doesn't help, elemental staves don't help... nothing helps the #s you get from minuet/etc except "whateversong +1~2" instruments (aside from using an instrument vs just singing)

orly

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko
    PS. for party buffs, I've done my own personal testing on this crap and CHR, doesn't help, Singing skill doesn't help, elemental staves don't help... nothing helps the #s you get from minuet/etc except "whateversong +1~2" instruments (aside from using an instrument vs just singing)
    Adding up +skill will actually raise strength of party buffs, just not by a lot. Usually difference is small like 1 attack on double minuets with standard +skill equips. (From what I've read anyway.)

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The most important skill is being elists so you can leave any party making less then 12k/hour.

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko
    My vote goes for Singing.

Elegy is the easiest shit to land, I never understood why people go apeshit over Wind skill+ gear.

String is a close second because Threnody is a bitch to land on HNMs and for Lullaby in Dynamis-Xarcabard.

This post is like, really wrong >_> Gonna get flamed cos it's my first post but Singing does affect party buffs and only party buffs, it has no effect on debuffs.

String as a skill is inherently flawed for debuffs; Mary's Horn will always, always land Lullaby easier than a Nursemaid's because Wind is for some reason superior to String as far as sticking debuffs goes. The same goes for Flute +1 vs Sorrowful Harp on Threnody. I know it sounds hard to believe and I have no idea why the game was designed this way but tests have been done and it's true. The only time you should use String on a debuff is if you are confident you can land it and you need that extra point of potency/duration from the instrument, or for a larger radius on Horde.

Instrument skills effect buffs, but not usually at 75. By level 75, your natural skill is high enough that Minuet4 and Madrigal are already very very close to their cap. You can squeeze out an extra 1-2 attack on minuet with a few +Skill gear, but anything after that is essentially useless.

However, because you have BRD as a job, you will be using it CONSTANTLY for meriting, so I'd suggest meriting Minuet/Madrigal or Lullaby Recasts, since those are the only merits that would be useful in a Merit PT.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

lolstring

wind

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Flailing.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've found that mary's horn is significantly more accurate than the harp, but the tradeoff is that the harp has a larger range for AoE and lasts longer (if it doesn't get resisted). If you're just leveling bard then I wouldn't bother with the harp.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

mary's for foe lullaby, harp for horde lullaby

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan
    mary's for foe lullaby, harp for horde lullaby
    Or merit Lullaby recast and spam both with Mary's. Nursemaid's Harp + Horde Lullaby = Raise please.

As for the OP, imo the best thing to do with skill merits is 4 singing and 4 wind. Buff potentcy is based on a combination of singing + whatever instrument you're using (not much extra to get from buffs at 75 though... +12 total skill caps Minuet4). Debuffs work in a similar fashion, though no one that I know of has done enough tests to get it exact. I try to keep my Singing and Wind skills close to each other and it has worked out well for me. It's not hard to have both Singing and Wind over 240 while maintaining 100 total CHR when you really need something to stick.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

UPDATE: I still have 0 string skill

Fuck using harpes in xp pt to skillup string. Go to sea and threnody a Om'Hmpende, thats whenever you get a string instrument worth using.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

String, Wind and Singing don't really offer a whole lot of benefits so you might not wanna waste the time and merits unless it's your intention to be a career Bard (lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Rammses
    Flailing.
    That works lol

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    UPDATE: I still have 0 string skill
    I'm pissed I capped that shit.

But ya, Wind >>>>>>>>>>> x100 >>>>> string.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

string is just awful...

Makyle tried to lullaby with harp and she just had so many problems. I don't get a lot of resists on my bard with lullaby/elegy, I meritted wind 8 times and use wind torque, I have no AF2 or AF+1.

Mary's Horn >>>>> Nursemaid's Harp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast