BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Merit Suggestions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Merit Suggestions

I thought about putting this in the JP thread but it's a separate thing... IDK. Feel free to merge it in there.

I'm meriting my WHM, but it's been so long since I've played I don't know what to choose. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Group 1: 5/5 cure casting time, 5/5 bar spell. Group 2: 1/5 Devotion 4/5 Protectra V, 5/5 Shellra V. There's other options but they aren't all that useful. If you can cap cure casting time without merits then you could 5/5 regen I guess but I haven't bothered to check if that's possible. Can opt out of devotion but I like to have it for rare cases when a pld or something is out of MP.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

5/5 Devotion for life, I like my 900+ devotion

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Ihina View Post
    As a DRK+RUN+PLD, <3

Might be a bit much, but when I run out of MP on these jobs it's usually when I need it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ihina View Post
    Ya but Defense now actually doesnt suck.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lyramion View Post
    Ya but Defense now actually doesnt suck.
    Well more like defense actually does something now lol. Still not sure another 15-45 def (depending on 4 or 5 merits and augmented relic) is going to make that big of a difference. I mean we certainly don't care about that in every other buff/gear but then again while the difference between 1 and full devotion is huge it is obviously more situationally useful. I'd evaluate what you generally use whm for and go from there. You either basically wont use devotion or it will be awesome while pro will always be a little bit of something.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I tend to never use 10 minute recast abilities, so i just went 5/5 pro and shell. I guess i am always afraid i will use it here, when i shoulda used it 2 mins later when we really needed it lol. But beign my whm is dual boxed i dont usually have time to think about devotioning other people but i tend to be just me and me out there doin things so there usually isnt someone to devotion anyway.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Martyr is also a nice instant emergency cure that you can use while silenced, I put 1 in it just to have.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Well more like defense actually does something now lol. Still not sure another 15-45 def (depending on 4 or 5 merits and augmented relic) is going to make that big of a difference. I mean we certainly don't care about that in every other buff/gear but then again while the difference between 1 and full devotion is huge it is obviously more situationally useful. I'd evaluate what you generally use whm for and go from there. You either basically wont use devotion or it will be awesome while pro will always be a little bit of something.
    +45 defense is like an extra -5% PDT term added to the melees. That's pretty significant over time, and could save lives sometimes, too.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Nothing else comes close to 5/5 ProtectraV, Martyr Devotion and Shell V are all worth having at least 1 merit in, though it all pales in comparison to the benefit gained from capped Protectra V

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    +45 defense is like an extra -5% PDT term added to the melees. That's pretty significant over time, and could save lives sometimes, too.
    Not saying it can't just saying it's not huge omg dmg reduction. But that little bit almost always matters and so over time adds up. Comparatively full devotion has a much bigger effect but is only useful in some situations AND can only be used every 10 min.

Also that was the max difference between no merits and full + augment. Realistically most people are going to have at least 1 merit in devotion and full shellra so the difference between saying none and 4 would be 35 def. Also does sheltered work with the augments from relic? Heck does anyone besides me use sheltered for free def/mdt?

That said given the way gear is right now and how easy it is to cap mdt I could almost see arguing taking some merits out of shellra for pro and/or devotion