Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BLU in Ouryu Cometh     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BLU in Ouryu Cometh

First post.

Copy-paste from my thread on Allakhazam's BLU forum. Looking for more (any) input:

~~~
    I'm doing some cloud evoking this weekend and my alliance will have a BLU for the event. I'm unfamiliar with the effectiveness of blue magic on large HNMs, but I don't want to simply disregard all of the BLU's spells and reduce him to just being the other half of a skillchain.

Does anyone have firsthand experience using BLU in the Ouryu Cometh battle, or against any of the CoP wyrms? How do debuffs fare (Temporal Shift, Head Butt, Actinic Burst, Jettatura, etc)? How about thier damage spells? Please provide as much information as you can.
    ~~~

I guess the simpler question would be "how could BLU be best utilized for this battle?"

Cannonball for great justice.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Theres a 135 page thread for blu topics, but ok.

-All the debuffs you mentioned arent really debuffs. You mentioned two stun spells, against Ouryu? Jettatura is tons of hate and rarely lands on harder things. No. A.Burst is a nice low MP spell to throw out every once and a while, decent land rate depending on your merits.

But for Ouryu, Frightful Roar is your best friend. Its a Wind-based Demon Spell vs. an Earth Based Dragon. But on your AF head and do the math.

- /nin isnt a damage option on anything hard. /thf and cannonball in the air. You dont want to be doing anything else on the ground unless you want to flail. TA V.cleave on tanks if you want. It will do fairly decent damage without SA with a bit of TP, because it raises the pDif modifier instead of touching the mods(str50).

- /whm rocks for wyrms if you need the support. Breeze, Hide and Fruit with a mnd set.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

What I liked about BLU and CoP wyrms is that if you get hate you won't get hit for much more then any other tank. Bring magic dmg taken -% gear and cast Saline Coat for when he's in the air and you pull hate (which you prob will from a 1000 dmg SA Cannonball).

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras
    Which would be all well and good if someone took the time to summarize the contents of that beast of a thread on page 1.

This seems like a pretty specific request for a particular battle in the game, I wouldn't think anyone should be subjected to traversing through 135 pages on the mechanics of BLU in hopes of finding an answer.

At least you offered some input in answering OP's question though, so go you.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

BLU Physical accuracy is reliant on Mainhand Weapon for Accuracy and BLU Skill for resistance. SA overrides the chance of miss and resist which is one of the reasons why you get the good numbers on SA Cannonball.

Frightful Roar (Demon) with AF Head (Correlation) and BLU Skill and Body will probably land with a good consistency, but Def- doesn't help when the mob uses Invincible. Enervation I have no clue how well it would land to help nukes.

Best Utilized? Is not going an option? When you don't need a multi-function job like BLU, whatever specialty you need you're best getting that job. Need a DD? Get a BLM (against an invincible mob, more damage and faster). Need a healer? Get a WHM. Need a Support? Get a RDM or BRD.

If the BLU has to go, BLU/NIN tanking adds would probably be the best use as they can stun -ga's and are pretty self-sufficient.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

We used 2 BLU/SAM and a SAM to pump out 3-4 SCs per landing our last Ouryu. Most of the dmg comes from the blms MB off the SC.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by nsx
    We used 2 BLU/SAM and a SAM to pump out 3-4 SCs per landing our last Ouryu. Most of the dmg comes from the blms MB off the SC.
    Use SAMs. Their acc is based on 1 factor, not two. BLU spells can hit or miss and take effect or not take effect. SAM is just hit or miss.

Plus it's more effective to nuke when he's flying.

Obligatory mention of Diamondwhore

Also, Feather Tickle and Voracious Trunk are wind based, if memory serves.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh
    Quote Originally Posted by nsx
    Use SAMs. Their acc is based on 1 factor, not two. BLU spells can hit or miss and take effect or not take effect. SAM is just hit or miss.

Plus it's more effective to nuke when he's flying.
    blu -> sam, blu -> sam, blu self SC, blu self SC.

Neither of the Blus ever missed a SC or self SC unless interupted by terrorga.

Free nuking in the air ftl. We've beaten this bc in 32 min. w/ just SC/MB on ground.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

BLU Physical accuracy is reliant on Mainhand Weapon for Accuracy and BLU Skill for resistance. SA overrides the chance of miss and resist which is one of the reasons why you get the good numbers on SA Cannonball.

Frightful Roar (Demon) with AF Head (Correlation) and BLU Skill and Body will probably land with a good consistency, but Def- doesn't help when the mob uses Invincible. Enervation I have no clue how well it would land to help nukes.

Best Utilized? Is not going an option? When you don't need a multi-function job like BLU, whatever specialty you need you're best getting that job. Need a DD? Get a BLM (against an invincible mob, more damage and faster). Need a healer? Get a WHM. Need a Support? Get a RDM or BRD.

If the BLU has to go, BLU/NIN tanking adds would probably be the best use as they can stun -ga's and are pretty self-sufficient.
    BLU can sub tank as good as war if not ever better.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Lithiani

Get a Summoner, they can also MAB the BLMs, Cure (Effectively, including erase and Cure II/III not just one III.5) and Neither Blast/Aerial Blade(with +mAcc merits). Nothing to trunk that can't be dispelled 3x before trunk finishes casting. Tickle would be resisted or not a significant TP- to be notable.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochi
    Sub tank what/who now? You mean they BLU/WAR or BLU/NIN backup tanking Ouryu?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lithiani

Get a Summoner, they can also MAB the BLMs, Cure (Effectively, including erase and Cure II/III not just one III.5) and Neither Blast/Aerial Blade(with +mAcc merits). Nothing to trunk that can't be dispelled 3x before trunk finishes casting. Tickle would be resisted or not a significant TP- to be notable.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochi
    Sub tank what/who now? You mean they BLU/WAR or BLU/NIN backup tanking Ouryu?
    /WAR, /NIN could be possible if you can pull enough hate w/o provoke and defender (cannonball hits weaker). You'll cast Healing Breeze, Diamondhide etc.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeras
    Which would be all well and good if someone took the time to summarize the contents of that beast of a thread on page 1.

This seems like a pretty specific request for a particular battle in the game, I wouldn't think anyone should be subjected to traversing through 135 pages on the mechanics of BLU in hopes of finding an answer.

At least you offered some input in answering OP's question though, so go you.
    He asked a question, not looking for something already answered. The question wouldve been best suited to be asked in that thread, instead of a new one, which is why I said it.

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I did notice the BLU Job Findings thread and started to read through it after the search turned up nothing relevant. I figured that this was a very specific question that would fit better in its own thread than stuck into one which didn't really fit the topic (not really a finding).

Forum mechanics aside, I'm reminded of another problem by this:
    Neither of the Blus ever missed a SC or self SC unless interupted by terrorga.
    Is Ouryu programmed to use Absolute Terror during a skillchain? Last week, he interrupted five of seven SCs with terror either moments after the first WS or just after the second landed. He never used Absolute Terror at any other time during the entire battle. I couldn't tell if it was a reflex that should be anticipated or just dumb luck, but it really gave us a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Almalexia
    Is Ouryu programmed to use Absolute Terror during a skillchain? Last week, he interrupted five of seven SCs with terror either moments after the first WS or just after the second landed. He never used Absolute Terror at any other time during the entire battle. I couldn't tell if it was a reflex that should be anticipated or just dumb luck, but it really gave us a hard time.
    Never done that specific fight but I would assume not.

I've noticed over the years that players will build TP which of course gives the mob itself TP. Once the players have enough TP, the first guy does WS and that's enough damage and TP given to the monster to push it over the edge and finally use a TP move. In this case, a shitty one that stops your SC.

When I'm solo'ing on NIN I can predict when several types of monsters will use their TP move based on how long it's been since the last one and the amount of damage I've made to the monster. It's mostly because I've been caught more than a couple times with one shadow up, decide to WS then Ni but the mob swings, removes my shadow, does TP move and smooshes me while my Jin animation is going off.

So yeah, it's fairly often that the damage from a WS will push a monster's TP over whatever the hell limit it is and they'll do a TP move, seen it plenty of times. Go go Blank Gaze getting both me and the THF after I do WS to start SC!

I think you're just unlucky.

Faf and Nid are programmed to wing right when we try to SC, much like melee are programmed to start SC while blm's are recasting stoneskin after aforementioned HW.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Faf and Nid are programmed to wing right when we try to SC, much like melee are programmed to start SC while blm's are recasting stoneskin after aforementioned HW.
    And while blind.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    And while blind.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8...llindogae3.jpg

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

WUTZ A SKILLCHAIN LOLZ