BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An NA Vanafest?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

An NA Vanafest?

We all want a Vanafest over here in North America (mostly).

What I'm not sure people realize is that we don't really have to wait for SE to give us one. We could have given ourselves a Vanafest whenever we wanted and we still can.

The FFXI community has matured over the years so I'm sure that it's well within the realm of possibility to organize and successfully operate a fan-based FFXI convention. Convention planning isn't exactly easy, but given some of the virtual challenges that we've had to overcome, I do not think that those real life challenges would be all that different.

From what I gather, it would probably be a smallish convention at first, and we may have to extend the reach to maybe both online FFs, or maybe a general FF-convention that centers on FFXI, but it's still feasible.

Also, if the complaints from the NA community can get an 18+ hour NM fight reduced to something manageable (sort of), just think at what an organized statement of goodwill and love by us could do?

(And of course, the same could be said for our EU comrades as well.)

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

ha

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

East Coast!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

the only vanafest i remember them doing on the east coast was in goddamned rochester NY, which always seemed like a really weird/dumb choice. it isn't really close to anything, and you have to drive through upstate new york to get there (which was enough to put me off from wanting to go). if they actually did do another 'fest it would most definitely happen in california, so the idea doesn't really do much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Morari View Post
    The FFXI community has matured over the years
    Are you sure about that?

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

They had a few over the years. I went to two of them. The first one was at the Santa Monica Pier and was actually pretty sweet. The second one was much more toned down and wasn't worth the cost. Don't know about the third, it spawned purple.

I doubt they will have another one over here because they don't think there is enough demand/they can make enough money to justify it.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

We already had BG vanafest

We called it Failfest of '09.

Look it up

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The trouble with this idea is that the only two reasons to bother going to a Vanafest are for the development panel and the special events (concerts, etc.) and you're definitely not going to get either of those things with a fan convention.

I pullout to go pee.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Winterhoof

Let's be honest here if Pchans people put together a fan convention it would be divided into two section: people who don't use windower and those "filthy fucking cheaters who can't play a game without a hack".

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Indalecia View Post
    We already had BG vanafest

We called it Failfest of '09.

Look it up
    ^ and I'm a fucking lazy ass for not organizing anymore afterwards. Shit was a lot of fun lol think you guys in fl had fun too~

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Therin View Post
    The trouble with this idea is that the only two reasons to bother going to a Vanafest are for the development panel and the special events (concerts, etc.) and you're definitely not going to get either of those things with a fan convention.
    haha i agree. a fan event would be fun but you would need something special going to draw people in. i suppose typical anime convention fluff would work, like cosplay contest with prizes, but theres very little you can offer from a live group setting.

well, live team ballista matches could be one, which is much more feasible now with test server..

i get the impression that it won't count for anything more than a group outing if it doesn't bring with it some kind of authority.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Therin View Post
    Well... Maybe I'm being a bit naive, but has anyone asked the dev team (or a quality representative) to come to a Fan Vanafest? (It's so tempting to call it a Fanafest, but that reminds me too much of VW to give a positive feeling.)

If it's a matter of ability, that can be worked with and scheduled around. If it's a matter of willingness, then that's another problem altogether. But at the same time, the dev team always seems to enjoy interacting with the fanbase (or maybe that's just the JP fanbase?) so willingness wouldn't seem to be an issue. There's also the idea of getting the community relations team involved in some way, since relating to the community is their job, I'm sure they'd have some ideas that would benefit both SE, a potential organizing committee and the overall playerbase.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Someone organize one for Vancouver, Seattle or Las Vegas and i'll consider going.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Hmmmyessss, if you were to put together some sort of, oh, what would the word be, ah... a "fanfest" in a city from the following list, I may, though of course make no guarantees whatsoever, begin to perhaps mull over the possibility of considering attending.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by isladar View Post
    Hmmmyessss, if you were to put together some sort of, oh, what would the word be, ah... a "fanfest" in a city from the following list, I may, though of course make no guarantees whatsoever, begin to perhaps mull over the possibility of considering attending.
    If you were to attend, would you wear your hawks jersey so I can spot you from a mile?

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    If you were to attend, would you wear your hawks jersey so I can spot you from a mile?
    I'd be real upset if she wasn't walking around in her Hawks jersey shouting, "SOOOOOOOOOOOO HANDSOMEEEEEEEEE" the entire time.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by isladar View Post
    You forgot the list part. Or was that a woosh?

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

I was taking the piss out of Vagus.