FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

New PC Build Thread Incoming.

So I was thinking since the current thread is a bit outdated we could create a new one with some posting guidelines to help those looking for advice. Below is a suggestion. If any tweaks, additions, etc can be made please post and we'll create a new sticky. We'll keep the current sticky open for the time being.

PC Build Advice/Review II: Do You Multi GPU Bro?

Many times when peeps seek advice many that try to help ask the same questions over and over. By using the below format we can eliminate those questions up front and have a clear idea on how to advise moving forward.

Budget?

Main uses for the computer?

What resolution is your monitor?

Do you live by Micro Center?

Do you live by Frys?

Websites To Use

www.pcpartpicker.com - Use this for posting builds. Good place to shop prices, but they are not always up to date.
    www.newegg.com - Sign up for their mailer. They periodically send targeted promo codes that can only be used by that email address.
    www.frys.com - Sign up for the mailer and daily promo codes. They have killer deals at times that can be shipped. Majority of their mega deals are in store only.
    www.jet.com - Second rate Amazon, but when using their numerous promo codes for first time buyers some amazing deals can be had. Usually the most savings on graphics cards can be found here.
    www.slickdeals.net - Deals website where you can find current hot deals on pc products. Follow member TDMVP73. They usually post the best pc parts deals first.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ - Reddit's pc parts thread. Stuff is usually posted on slickdeals.net first, but this is good to reference as well.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/ - Decent spot for used parts. When using paypal always select buying goods and services when making a purchase. This protects you from scammers. Do not ever send money as friend/family.
    Overclock.net marketplace. Another great place to search for quality used hardware.
    http://hardforum.com/ - Great site for tech info albeit tons of elitists. Their For Sale thread is good but you need 100 posts before you can post there.
    www.topcashback.com - Cash back site. Enter the website where a purchase is being made and click on their link. Can be used with many many online retailers.
    www.ebates.com - Cash back same as above.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I support this. And just signed up to Frys as it's basically the same as Microcenter.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    I support this. And just signed up to Frys as it's basically the same as Microcenter.
    Great point. It's free and I'd advise to use a somewhat throwaway email for it's emails unless those don't mind receiving in their main email. It's definitely worthwhile to have at your disposal when seeking pc + other deals.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

overclock.net has a great buy/sell forum too.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I don't mind this either. I admit, I don't have any of those stores near me, so I end up buying from Newegg a lot. (There's a Fry's in Atlanta but that's about a 30 minute drive; lately it's been good luck getting rides) Ditto with Microcenter, I really live out in the sticks.

And yeah, I can understand wanting to cut out some of the questions ^^

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Senji View Post
    overclock.net has a great buy/sell forum too.
    Ah yes. Forgot about them. Will definitely add.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    I don't mind this either. I admit, I don't have any of those stores near me, so I end up buying from Newegg a lot. (There's a Fry's in Atlanta but that's about a 30 minute drive; lately it's been good luck getting rides) Ditto with Microcenter, I really live out in the sticks.

And yeah, I can understand wanting to cut out some of the questions ^^
    Most do only use Newegg or Amazon because it's the most common and they indeed do have good prices and service. I'm trying to add in where people can still get parts for a great price. I'd say 97% of Micro Center's deals are in store only so it really doesn't mean much to post them. Frys on the other hand does occasionally have sales that you can order online for shipping. One gripe with Frys is at times their promo codes either don't work or they will advertise an online sale and when it goes live it's in store only. I just try my best to roll with it and if I get in on the deal then great but if not it's not the end of the world.

I'm hoping that not only will having a format to use when posting for advice eliminate some questions but it will get the poster to start thinking of what really is their most important upgrade/update and how to prioritize.

I think we'll keep this thread rolling for about a week or so to have people keep adding what could help so we can make the new sticky as valuable as possible.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Budget?
    $700-$900

Gaming & General use. Notable games: Dark Souls 3(when it comes out) & League of Legends. Possibly want an Playstation 2 emulator if they ever revive Everquest Online Adventures. Maybe some Final Fantasy XI
    What resolution is your monitor?
    No monitor currently using a laptop.
    Do you live by Micro Center?
    Yes
    Do you live by Frys?
    No

I've been looking around at websites and really have no idea what I'm doing. I have very light knowledge of desktops for example I know that ones with an intel i7 are pretty good, but I don't know much about graphic cards etc. No idea how to build one or even have is needed to make a desktop.

I was looking at this:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...sktop_Computer

Looks amazing to me. Is it possible to do better etc?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Veikuri View Post
    Budget?
    $700-$900

Gaming & General use

I was looking at this:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...sktop_Computer

Looks amazing to me. Is it possible to do better etc?
    HP regularly has better deals, such as including an nvidia 970 and it being slightly cheaper than that listed price, but it takes time (if you were deadset on an HP anyway). Monitor those links in the first post, though I might also add techbargains.com to it. They seem to pick up on some kinds of deals faster, and occasionally have their own coupon codes in the same way slickdeals does.

But in a general computer-piecing sense, it's easy to have a much better build than that HP deal, the problem is whether or not you are willing or able to put it together or know a friend if you can't. Hell even some folks on these forums might offer to (refer to another similar thread on your subject here, https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/12...o-buy-a-new-PC. and do check its links, some of mine, for interesting prebuilts). Otherwise start with pcpartpicker and look over the many builds posted there while also picking parts for your own and compare to prebuilts. Just remember to add a windows license when building for yourself.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I just put this together and got lost at the sound card and under stuff. Anything I can pull back on or should go for more?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3yXsRB

I see a ton of builds using the i5 instead of i7. Is the i7 not worth it?

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I just put this together and got lost at the sound card and under stuff. Anything I can pull back on or should go for more?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3yXsRB

I see a ton of builds using the i5 instead of i7. Is the i7 not worth it?
    Most people on here are gamers, and the i7 just isn't worth the extra $$$ for gamers. That being said, I run an i7 anyway, so w/e.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

This is my updated list. Anything here I'm missing beside a keyboard, mouse, and monitor?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/N4p9hM

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You could save some cash by using the previous gen intel cpu, i5 4690(K), along with much cheaper ddr3 ram. This will also lead to a different motherboard choice, in which you could choose one that comes with a wireless networking card. The performance difference isn't noticeable between current gen and last gen intel in the same ranges. If you don't plan on pushing the cpu with overclocking, you won't need water cooling. You can get by just fine with the one intel gives you with the retail box, though if you do overclock it will be the main limiting factor. As an alternative to water cooling, a cooler master 212 evo is usually a decently cheap air-cooling option (provided the case has enough space for it), and is decent for overclocking with a higher speed fan.

Do factor in about $100 for windows license unless you can source that elsewhere. If you'd like to try and save a little more cash, keep updating and keep looking, especially if you're fine with mail in rebates.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The price difference between previous and current gen Intel platforms is very small or almost non-existent now. Only the memory in that build is expensive, and that's only because he picked some higher-end stuff. 16GB of DDR4 can be had for like $80.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah was looking at the parts chosen compared to some of the parts I had last year, was almost a $170 difference with mobo+ram. I should have mentioned keeping away from "gamer" tags on hardware since most of those are just vendor markups for nothing (didn't even look at 1151 mobos or ddr4 ram). Difference in price is minimal (1150 parts are still a little cheaper if pinching pennies).

Messing with his 6600k build specifically, I was able to quickly push the price down from its current $1098 to $860, changing the mobo, ram, case, and cooler; it's closer to the original target of $700-900 without windows cost factored in. Didn't even know the newer intels don't come with coolers, derp. But mine is a naive build (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hfqqK8 ), you'd want to read more reviews about the hardware chosen and what other folks are building with similar parts (like on pcpartpicker itself, there's tons of folks writing about their builds).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'd replace that Kingston SSD.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

How come? And whats a better alternative?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

How come? And whats a better alternative?
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/a...er-micron-nand

Another ssd to not get is the crucial bx200. Another very slow SSD. 240gb SanDisk, PNY, and even Crucial regularly go on sale for $55~ so I would start there. If only wanting a 120gb I'd look at those same brands along with Adata, Team Dark, Samsung and Intel. I've heard mixed things about Mushkin and Patriot so I can't really say either way on those brands.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Finally finished putting together my final build on the website. I used orinthia's base and added/changed some stuff. The website said that the case you chose might be incompatible with the fan(s).

Final cost without the keyboard/mouse/monitor is: $846

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NxTpZL

Do you guys think this would run Dark Souls 3 at 60 FPS on 1080p, or how would I go about checking? Also, do most computers come with wifi enabled or did I need that wireless adapter?

Edit: My link says $1009.89, but when I click on it from another browser it shows $997.68. Weird

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You'll probably need an adapter since most motherboards do not have wifi built in, though some include an addon board and/or antennae. If it was built in, it'd come with antennae at least.

Dark souls 3 is coming out soon right? -And assuming you want it all perfectly maxed; some doubt, though since it's also on consoles it might not hit the hardware too hard (since then it'd shit on xbox/ps4 and force them to run it at 900p/720p). I have no idea how well optimized for pc the game will be, and it will probably take some game patches and driver updates to see any big improvements. This is all just my thoughts since I don't play dark souls; do research if you're worried (find recommended specs, compare with your hardware, how much better is your chosen, etc). The 380 should fair well in less-than-absolute-max settings, as it does in most games (it's a mid-high end card, like nvidia's 960).

Also pcpartpicker constantly updates prices on anything not specified, so rebates/etc are probably going in and out and fiddling with the prices. There's also some holiday-specific sales going on or ending, so the dip in price I saw a few days ago was probably that. Don't forget windows if you don't have a copy.

add: http://slickdeals.net/f/8579442-hp-e...s-h?src=sticky This was an unusually good deal on a prebuilt. You can't part together a system this cheaply when you combine the rebates if it hasn't expired already. Read the thread, and maybe see if there's deals on the site for stuff you're putting in your comp.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Finally finished putting together my final build on the website. I used orinthia's base and added/changed some stuff. The website said that the case you chose might be incompatible with the fan(s).

Final cost without the keyboard/mouse/monitor is: $846

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NxTpZL

Do you guys think this would run Dark Souls 3 at 60 FPS on 1080p, or how would I go about checking? Also, do most computers come with wifi enabled or did I need that wireless adapter?

Edit: My link says $1009.89, but when I click on it from another browser it shows $997.68. Weird
    Specifically, the motherboard you chose does not have onboard WiFi, so if you need that, you'll have to add a PCIe (or USB, I guess) wireless adapter.

The Radeon 380 probably will not give you a perfect Dark Souls 3 experience, at 1080p, maxed out. It'll be decent though. If your budget doesn't allow you to spend more on a graphics card, you could cut the memory down to only 8GB (still perfectly fine for gaming) and save $40 to spend elsewhere in the system. Note, if you do decide to cut the memory to 8GB, make sure you still get two modules (2x4GB) to take advantage of the dual-channel memory controller in the Z170.

Lastly (and forgive me if I overlooked something you said previously), you don't seem to have a storage drive in your configuration. A 120GB SSD will be overflowing before you know it if you don't include another drive of some type.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast