+ Reply to Thread

Camelot Unchained - Dark Age of Camelot meets...Minecraft?

Camelot Unchained aka "Dark Age of Camelot 2" is PvP/building/crafting MMORPG by Mark Jacobs. Some of it's important features are three Realms, 33 different classes (! - but not all will be there by launch), spell collision (say, water + fire produce steam), players crafting their abilities from components and world - made of huge islands - changing it's texture and shape based on player territory control.

100% free form building is another major one - it will matter a lot for the economy and especially for control and defense of conquered territories. Say, this video was made in May by Necromaniak, one of players in alpha tests:

Now, this is rather rough - round & cylindrical shapes, wide choice of textures and some other features are yet to be implemented. Also, buildings will be fully destructible and pillageable -unless built offline or in starting zones.

Besides building, there isn't much footage worth showing at the moment - except for couple screenshots or vines such as this or this. Available videos mostly have 2013 i.e. placeholder models and animations, since the team was focused on building and testing their custom made engine, physics and some basic features till recently. This is major reason for NDA still being on.

PS good "independent" (well, kinda...) place to learn about the game, including some controversy or asking questions, is Camelot Unchained reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/

World customization is one of things I've felt MMOs have been aching for for a while now. I can only hope this succeeds in part to inspire and iterate in other (future) titles. It has its risks, of course, like someone might make a building shaped like a penis in a safe area, but there are ways around it even if it is as blunt as GM intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    World customization is one of things I've felt MMOs have been aching for for a while now. I can only hope this succeeds in part to inspire and iterate in other (future) titles. It has its risks, of course, like someone might make a building shaped like a penis in a safe area, but there are ways around it even if it is as blunt as GM intervention.
    Ah, penis buildings, a classical theme in free form building games. Of course it was discussed millions of times on Camelot's forums, and this is what works against it: 1)buildings should be quite time & resource & manpower "heavy" AND destructible, 2) for what it's worth, average age of backers (mostly ex-DAoC) is ~30s, 3) game will have box price & sub (~ $10) and atop of that 4) Mark Jacobs, the CEO, repeated a number of times his very negative attitude against such "creations".

While I'm here, you can see some alpha test footage (mostly from their recent Dragon Con presentation) in this video. It's given through comparison between Camelot Unchained and Crowfall and it's still alpha and rough and blah...:

How time/resource/manpower heavy things are can be a double-edged sword. While some may indeed think it a detriment to gag buildings, it can also be a deterrent for more casual players. If such happens to be a key feature of the game, well, you can hopefully understand why that might be a bad thing.

The rest is something I don't really see scaring people off. We've got our fair share of juvenile 30+'s here and a box fee has never scared people away from bad behavior in my varied MMO experience. And while it's all well and good for the higher ups to express discontent for bad behavior, it usually only boils down to PR and little actual in-game enforcement. If he truly means it, then fantastic, but it's always felt like the money of some bad apples outweighs the sensibilities of everyone else. "Just ignore them!" has been the tried and tested method forever, which arguably doesn't work at all.

The aforementioned "price" of buildings is, of course, very sensitive and connected to both war and economy - no right answer, just series of trade-offs. Important detail is that it all happens in a game that goes for servers with ~5 000 concurrent players and battles with 1 000+ players in small area (yes - it's four digits, and yes - small area, and their custom made engine is already, in alpha, capable of supporting something similar). It gives some context to how much one builder should be able to build, and how quickly.

Good thing is that, in my opinion, "my" 2) - 4) have more than enough weight to make P-buildings (or, say, space ship-like creations etc. - even worse immersion killers in a medieval fantasy game) insignificant as a factor when it comes to determining building time/manpower. Even so, building "prices" will likely be high enough for other reasons.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Nice trailer that explains the game.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Camelot Unchained will see an Beta 1 on July 4, 2018! Feature lock will take place in mid-June. At that point, everything for the beta will be set, save bug-fixing. And yes, everything that has been promised for the beta will make it for that launch (that doesn’t mean everything going into launch will be in beta – expect more builds going forward over the expected year of this beta).