FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Britbox - A Netflix-like App from the BBC & ITV - 2019/2020

Programs on Netflix will Remain for the Agreed-Upon Lengths, Rumor: Will Cost £5/Month
    The BBC, home to crime dramas Luther and Line of Duty, and ITV, maker of dramas such as The Crown and Vanity Fair, are in the "concluding phase of talks" to create a rival to Netflix.

BBC director general Tony Hall said the aim was to launch "BritBox" in the UK in the second half of 2019.

The price was not announced but Lord Hall said it would be "competitive".

ITV's chief executive Dame Carolyn McCall said it would be home for the "best of British creativity".

Dame Carolyn told BBC Radio 4's Today Programme that 43% of all homes which use the Internet are interested in a subscription to BritBox. For homes which already subscribe to Netflix, she said that increased to half of all homes.

"There is a window of opportunity here," she said.

ITV will spend £25m on the venture this year and £40m in 2020.

The new venture is not intended to replace the BBC's iPlayer or the ITV Hub - the on-demand services where programmes are available for a restricted period of time.

It is expected to have box sets from the BBC and ITV archives.

There will also be some programmes commissioned only for BritBox.

Shows would appear on the relevant channels, then on the on-demand services before going on to BritBox.

The details have not been announced but BBC shows which are no longer aired regularly - such as Absolutely Fabulous - may be available.

ITV dramas such as Vera and Endeavour - and its predecessor Morse - are also likely contenders.

Dame Carolyn said that existing licensing agreements with Netflix will be honoured.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47383559

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Not a chance in hell that I’d use this. I already have to pay a license fee just to watch a tv and even if I didn’t already have Netflix I wouldn’t give the BBC any more of my money.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

It would collide with things like PBS and BBC America, and similar relationships in other countries.
    But what the BBC should do is make their web player global, allow anyone on the planet to pay the license fee. And in a degree of goodwill, adjust the fee down based on the increased revenue thereof.

It'd be a wonderful thing, so of course it'll never happen.