+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rockman.EXE Operation Shooting Star

YouTube - [Minna no NC] Rockman EXE Operate Shooting Star - Launch Trailer

Basically it is a remake of the original Mega Man Battle Network with added features and a new storyline with a crossover with Mega Man Star Force. It came out in Japan recently and is supposed to be pretty good. I know we have some Battle Network/Star Force fans in here so I thought I'd make a thread. I'm unsure if there is Wifi but it would be neat if there was and we could get some brothers.

Rockman EXE Operate Shooting Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The game is set in the Battle Network setting (specifically the first Battle Network title), but both Mega Man EXE and Geo Stelar (as Mega Man) appear together. It is unknown if both are playable, as the player is shown controlling Geo in all of the screens. Harp Note also makes an appearance, so other Star Force characters may also appear. A new NetNavi named Clockman was revealed, presumed to be the result of the aforementioned Clock Genius submission, and has also traveled back in time from the Star Force period. No details about the battle system were revealed, but many of the field maps seem to be taken directly from the first Battle Network title (graphics and layout), and a map system (similar to the one in Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team DS) has also been added.[6]
    The October issue of CoroCoro Comic took a glimpse at the battle system, which is done in the same style as the original Battle Network, and the player is able to control either Mega Man in battle. Little else is known except that the two Mega Men will not play identically; Star Force Mega Man brings his ability to lock-on to far-away targets, as well as a brief shield to block minor attacks. Both Mega Men will utilize Battle Chips instead of Battle Cards, and new Chips (including a Navi Chip representing Omega-Xis) will appear. The PET interface has also been revamped (also similar to the one in Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team DS), and the article notes that the original games' antagonists (World Three) will still play a role.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Even though I play Megaman religiously I'm going to skip out on this one. I've had more than enough Battle Network, and it doesn't look like they added anything really worthwhile, it hardly even seems like a remake.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Every new megaman games fail for not being Legend. Battle network sucked.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    Every new megaman games fail for not being Legend. Battle network sucked.
    Megaman games which play nothing alike shouldn't be compared nor grouped. Battle Network sucked compared to...? A third person shooter? A Run n Gun? etc.

Battle Network had its charm, but it seemed to be made with 10 year olds in mind. It is one of those games that's fun until you break 'em and man could you break 'em. It would be nice to have one that was tuned well enough(maybe skip the leveling bullshit and just make it a customization centric vs game).

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    Megaman games which play nothing alike shouldn't be compared nor grouped. Battle Network sucked compared to...? A third person shooter? A Run n Gun? etc.

Battle Network had its charm, but it seemed to be made with 10 year olds in mind. It is one of those games that's fun until you break 'em and man could you break 'em. It would be nice to have one that was tuned well enough(maybe skip the leveling bullshit and just make it a customization centric vs game).
    What make you think I'm comparing them? I'm bitching at people who prefer making easy money with cheap game, instead making a risky one with awesome content. Gameplay might be different, but it still the same franchise, and I'm not happy they dropped my favorite series.

Network's idea wasn't horrible, and gameplay had its charm at first, but the story was Pokemon kind of dull, and the environment was boring as hell. I only finished I and II mind you, I don't know if anything changed, but I didn't find them very appealing.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I fucking hate EXE and I wish they'd stop making sequels to it and the equally bad Star Force series.

Banned.

BG Level

What make you think I'm comparing them? I'm bitching at people who prefer making easy money with cheap game, instead making a risky one with awesome content. Gameplay might be different, but it still the same franchise, and I'm not happy they dropped my favorite series.
    I was being presumptuous because of how short the reply was.

Fair enough, except for the part where you mention franchise like it is anything more than paper wrapping. What you are really interested in is the development team and, while I couldn't find much information, I know that Legends(1 and 2) had different development/designer teams from the Battle Network series.

Also I am interested in knowing if the games got more interesting after the 3rd one. I don't care about storyline(which I would imagine peaked with 2's grimdark villains and threat), I mean actual battle system.

EDIT: Actually, that's a hard question to answer... did they ever try to prevent stupid powerful combos? Were there more stupid powerful combos?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

As much as I liked the first three EXE/Battle Network games, it got stale for me after that. I never really got into Star Force either. I still prefer the original and X series. I still say they should go back to their roots and make another game in the old style.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by darkepyon View Post
    I still say they should go back to their roots and make another game in the old style.
    I think most people agree, but Capcom has mentioned in the past that there's a higher cost to develop the games, and as a company they just aren't sure that the original and X series can still perform well enough (financially) to make it worth investing in the development of another game.

There was mention that they still want to do an X9 and 10 for the original series, but they haven't even pretended like they have any idea when/if that will ever happen.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah I do recall seeing that somewhere as well. But I guess it's for the better since one can only stand fighting Dr. Wily/Sigma so many times.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Well, depending on how you interpret X8's ending, that either was or wasn't the final nail in the coffin for Sigma. Although the Zero series suggests that Sigma doesn't canonically die until Cyber Elves come into the picture, but I like to pretend that the Zero series is one huge storyline blemish that doesn't exist.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Also I am interested in knowing if the games got more interesting after the 3rd one. I don't care about storyline(which I would imagine peaked with 2's grimdark villains and threat), I mean actual battle system.

EDIT: Actually, that's a hard question to answer... did they ever try to prevent stupid powerful combos? Were there more stupid powerful combos?
    Gameplay was up and down as the games progressed. 1 was a good introduction to the system, 2 improved on pretty much everything and introduced styles, 3 expanded on the style system and had a good long end game chapter that was a lot of fun...then 4 was shit tier bad.

Style's got thrown out and replaced with the soul system, the story was replaced with some randomly generated tournament garbage that forced you to play through the game 3 times to reach the end, and you had to play some badly made mini game before you even got to compete in a match. Plus any of the worthwhile chips that weren't just recycled from the last games permanently took away 1 of your hp.

5 came back pretty well with an interesting turn based strategy element that got mixed in, and actually refined the soul system they had crapped out for 4 with a team of navi's you got to play with rather than just mega man. The game had only about 1/3 the number of unique chips as the others though since nearly every one of them had 3 versions; your folder ended up looking the same the entire game just with different codes and prefixes.

The worst offenders for ridiculous combos were in 2, with shit like Gator and Bodyguard that you could make an entire folder out of and just 1HKO anything you fought as soon as you put the PA together (which had a reasonable chance of happening on the first turn), but it was pretty balanced after that with folder restrictions and counters for nearly everything. 3's multi player was actually incredibly fun and balanced, the loss of the style system and Capcom getting lazy with the chips they included in the games stole from the variety after 3 though.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I didn't mind the first Battle Network game, but the GBA Zero games were great, I don't own a DS, but I was hoping the ZX/Advent games were as good as those.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

ZX and ZX Advent are good games.

The Zero games were good too, just didn't like the direction they went with the story.

Banned.

BG Level

Super Mario was pretty cool, but I prefer Mario Paint.

hurrrr

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Super Mario was pretty cool, but I prefer Mario Paint.

hurrrr
    Maybe you would feel differently about it if they stopped doing platformer, and only had mario paint instead. It's stupid to not look at what a company release as a whole, especially when it's the same franchise

Banned.

BG Level

Maybe you would feel differently about it if they stopped doing platformer, and only had mario paint instead. It's stupid to not look at what a company release as a whole, especially when it's the same franchise
    Essentially this is what happens when a company goes from 2d to 3d. Though with all the nostalgia based marketing(and shitty portable hardware that demand it) we still see some 2d marios and zeldas.

Paying attention to franchise (or company) is an easy way to get yourself confused. Series are the only thing that matters in terms of continuity and all of these different Megaman games do not belong to the same series. Franchise is just wrapping. A brand name. Any conversation involving franchise is doomed to be extremely superficial. In this case it is lamenting to an absent company over something completely unrelated. Which is fine, if we understand it is just whining with twisted reasoning. Unfortunately bringing up unrelated series is the norm when it comes to discussing Megaman. "Oh man, I wish they'd make another legends game!" "Battle Network isn't like the old games!" (duh). If only Kraft would place their logo on bleach or rat poison.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

You can destroy a franchise (or lore) indirectly overusing/misusing it. It doesn't have to be directly related to change the perception people have of it. Is it shallow? Maybe, but in the end, it's the perception people have of it that will have an impact on the sales/popularity.

Different companies have different approaches, so you will end up with the whole spectrum, but it's wishful thinking to believe they would consider different series from the same franchise as completely independant entity. In the best case, they are going to spread them around the calendar, but it's pretty common to drop the riskier one for the safer bet.

Take Phantasy Star. It was a nice rpg, but the moment they tried an "online" game, they never went back to the conventional style. Why? Because it was better money. Both game are completely unrelated, but phantasy star isn't a rpg anymore, it's pve grinding game. I don't compare PS online to the rpg, but it did kill it.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Laude Valiquette
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I'm a sucker for the EXE series, I admit. The 2nd and 6th one were my favorites. Gotta say I'm looking forward to this enhanced port if it hits the states.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

agreed w/ needing more megaman legend! it was the shit