+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

Good Read: Inside Story on Xbox 360 defects

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xb...-console-woes/

I had considered getting a xbox 360 to replace my aging PS2s. I have 2, both with FFXI installed, sometimes they have trouble reading discs but just blowing them out with canned air gets them working just fine again.

I'm curious anyone post please note if you have a Xbox 360 and if so if you've had any problems with it.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I read it, Was interesting... I myself have had like 4 Broken X-boxes... in under 1 year... Lets see...

First one stopped reading Disks, Any of them.
    Second had the Red ring of Death
    Third, The tray wouldn't open or close randomly, and eventually stopped reading Discs
    Fourth Was Cracked and Chipped near the back, and we were unable to Put the HDD in.

Fifth one is still functioning, for now. My little brother got the RROD Once, hes on his Second, his works fine.

God i love Halo3, Mercenaries 2, CoD4 to much to care though -.- they were all free, and since i have two i never lost play time really

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zap Brannigan
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Holy shit @68% defect rate, always though it was around 30% but 68% is alot to let it pass.

Old Merits
    BG Level

68% was an early number when they started up the production line. Apparently in the manufacturing cycle that sort of thing is not entirely unheard of.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

My first 360 stopped working after about 8 months (stopped reading discs)
    M$ gave me a new one for free as I was still under warranty, its been working for about 12 months now, but 25% of the time will not start properly on the first try, otherwise no problems with it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

2 So far, 1st had the red rings and 2nd has developed a lovely crunching sound when reading any dvd's or games.

Apparenlty it will eventually just blow one up, sounds pretty fun. They've probably made sure they won't have a reputation for quality for a long long time.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Launch 360, no problems so far

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBob View Post
    Same. Ive had my PS3 2 months already had to send it back.

You must be the chosen one.

I just got my 360 recently so sorta freaked out and waiting for the RRoD :\. People say the new elites dont fuck up as much though..

I have a launch PS3 and haven't had any problems with it, but I don't think it malfunctions as much as the 360 by far.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

On my third 360, each one has lasted about a year, hopefully this one wont be going soon. First one just stopped reading discs, started a couple of months before it finally stopped where it would just randomly not read a disc but work fine after I took it out and put it back in again. Second one just froze (and the screen went pink, which was awesome) after being on for about 10 minutes. I've only had this third one not read a disc twice (brand new discs, was nothing wrong with them) but it happened a good half a year ago and hasn't happened since.

Yes it sucks, but the fact that M$ replace them for free it shouldn't be a huge concern, I'm sure you're capable of going without it for a week if it does happen to RRoD. Even if I was to pay for all 3 of my 360's I'd have got my moneys worth out of each.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Only problem I've been having lately, and it just start two days ago, the disc tray sporadically will only open half way when I try to put a game in. When it does this after the game loads that white screen comes up saying you need to put in an Xbox 360 disc, which is written in several languages.

Naver

same here.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I think the 360s reliability goes down hill fast with major usage. My first went RRoD when I got CoD4 around Xmas time and put in some major time playing it. I think I was close to 40 hours in a week. I had had it since the week after launch with no problems. The one they sent back I knew was going to fail eventually. Loud as hell fan and just seemed half dead from the get go. It failed yesterday, it won't read discs anymore. But I've been on it for the past week for over 40 hours again. My usage between times was minimal, maybe 2-3 hours a week.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Supposedly the new Jasper model systems coming out now are virtually immune, but obviously it's a little soon to tell. Avoiding RROD was a big concern when I bought mine, I had intended to wait for that model, but there was a $100 off deal on Elites a few weeks ago, so I took the chance. Not really too worried, MS is pretty good about fixing them.

One of the big reasons that people tend to go through several is that refurbished models tend to be the older chipsets. In other words, you get unlucky on your Falcon chipset, and they send you a launch Zephyr as a replacement, which dies again promptly. It's pretty crappy, but hopefully they're out of Zephyrs by now.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I just got my second one this past Thursday.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

XBOX 360 is the new PS1 (ok not really, the PS1/PS2 defects were because of cheap mounting units for the lasers).

I still have my original PS1 lying around, and when I was still using it, I would have to have it upside down to be able to read discs. Pretty much everyone else I knew eventually had the same issue with their PS1s, if they didn't stop working entirely.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I never had an issue with my ps1 it still working after almost 10 years same with my ps2 except it start doing DRE awhile back but I pop that shit open and with a can of compressed air and it brand spanking new again. Sadly I am not going to get a 360 even with the recent price cut, my brother just lost his 4th 360 due to not reading disc 2 months back but he had the best buy warranty so he going to buy a ps3 now hah

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Screw Microsoft and their defective shit.
    Never wanted an X Box for their constant shitting out on you. Almost everyone I know who owns an X Box has had to get a new one or send theirs in at some point.
    I have my PS3, been nearly a year now, not a problem, and replaces every function my PS2 used to fulfill, such as play DVDs, play games for all 3 platforms, (Things my PS2 can no longer do. All it can do is play FFXI LOL) and I can go on the internet and watch shit on youtube on my big screen for free and with decent speed. xD <3 my PS3, h8 Xbox

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Had my 360 for 3 months before it shitted on me. The one they sent I pretty much know is going to die soon because it sounds like a freaking 80's air-conditioner. That's my biggest beef with Xbox, I feel like screaming STFU every 5 seconds at it.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Siegtaru View Post
    Screw Microsoft and their defective shit.
    Never wanted an X Box for their constant shitting out on you. Almost everyone I know who owns an X Box has had to get a new one or send theirs in at some point.
    I have my PS3, been nearly a year now, not a problem, and replaces every function my PS2 used to fulfill, such as play DVDs, play games for all 3 platforms, (Things my PS2 can no longer do. All it can do is play FFXI LOL) and I can go on the internet and watch shit on youtube on my big screen for free and with decent speed. xD <3 my PS3, h8 Xbox
    Hey, I think there is a sticky for this.

God i love Halo3, Mercenaries 2, CoD4 to much to care though -.- they were all free, and since i have two i never lost play time really
    Good thing for Microsoft you don't have a gaming PC right?