+ Reply to Thread
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Anyone with visual basic know how.

Ive been making a program in my spare time called LinkshellLeaderPro for FFXI. Sadly I am a nub programer and need alittle bit of help. I released beta a few days ago and started working on another version and fixing someproblems and I found a problem that needs to be fixed. I am trying to save a multiline text box into a string

example:

Public Comments as String

txtComments.text = personEditing.Comments
    call savelist()
    call readlist()

however its not saving as multiline it will just smash it all into 1 string and save it like that, anyone know how to change this? Thank you so much ahead of time <3

Re: Anyone with visual basic know how.

Quote Originally Posted by senoska
    Ive been making a program in my spare time called LinkshellLeaderPro for FFXI. Sadly I am a nub programer and need alittle bit of help.

Sorry, this made me lol

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

because those are totaly unreleated right? your sence of humor fails. see if I said "LOL IM PRO" then 5 seconds later said "IM A NUB" you would have a right to laugh, but because I said the name of something then said im a nub you cant, you see? Like if u were talking about someone for example and his name was "Lolimnub" and you said "dude, lolimnub, i'm a pro" you wouldnt laugh, same goes here. Now if your not going to give me some help here feel free to click the nice pritty red X at the top right of your browser or the back buttion, which ever floats your boat

[OLD picture of program]:
    http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/544/creatmember2rp.jpg

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

cool program and I remember I had the same problem a few years back when I was importing/exporting stuff from a database created in access. sadly, I don't remember how I solved it.

Also, i know how it is when you create something from scratch and see it come up and actually work but SE is actually creating something more complex and better than this so I don't think you should invest too much time in it.

also, from the looks of it, are you writing this in visual basic 2005?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Yes I am writing in VB.net 2005; I have invested ALOT of time into this project not so much for myself or anyone else; more as a way to learn. I kinda go out of my way to learn but I am sadly at a stand still and have to look to outside sorces for help. As far as I know SE isnt going to do "Points" and other stuff, if they do I will simply stop with my project. I have other crap [making em right now acually] like calculators MP3 players text editors and what have you. Its pritty much everything ull need to run a LS, that is everything but a bot and some hacks[I kid I kid, lol]

I am really frustated with this it has me totaly and completly 100% stumped, I dont even know why this should be something really easy to do! Multiline strings I mean....I dont understand why its so hard, lol.

As far as SE "creating something far better then this" I acually dont beleave so, from past experences with SE they will mess this up and alls it will show is jobs & gil & stuff you really dont care about. My program will soon [I hope..] be online, someone offered to do all the coding and whatnot for online display [of points, jobs, linkshell big kills, recent drops, etc] and you dont have to make it online its just something you can do if you want [Options -> Update online].

I dont know I thought it was a good way to learn; If SE acually does something right for once and the linkshell online shit is acually good ill just open sorce the program and say the hell with it maybe someone will come up with something better, I have no idea. If anyone can help me I would really <3 you long time.

Sorry if im rambling I had to stay up 48 hours becasuse trying to get work done + having company[my dad -__- oh joy] and I dont want to sleep so im jacked up on coffee, so again sorry for rambling ROFL.

Thanks.

because those are totaly unreleated right? your sence of humor fails.
    Unrelated how? A nub programer dont go build a professionnal program.
    Besides, is there a non-pro version?

Never said it was sposed to be funny for all. Said it made ME lol.

Flame away, i wont go any further in.

Aside from that, not complaining about the program itself. Props so far.
    (And no, am unable to answer that question, I never had any use to insert a "enter" in a string so far.

I could suggest a workaround, but that would depend entirely on why exactly you need a multiline string.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

need it for a Comment page [leaders leave comments on members] its really just a text box converting it into a string.

And just for the record no I'm not a TOTAL nub at programing I acually have some know how [GASP!] I am just saying that I dont now every inch of the stuff, but again I am learning!

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

the most popular visual basic is visual basic 6, not .net 2005. you'll not find much help with that, as next to no one uses it.

Heh, most of you guys are assholes. The guy was simply asking for help just in case someone here knew VB and you guys did nothing but criticize him for the program name he chose, the langauge he chose, etc.

It's simple, if you can't help him, don't reply here.

need it for a Comment page [leaders leave comments on members] its really just a text box converting it into a string.
    Creating a textbox with an individual string for each line. one button (if i understoond your program template) could save/load value on multiple strings/text boxes instead of just one. Just need just create 3-4 textboxes with a maximum number of character for each line (depending on the lenght of text field, try see how many letters you can fit in all caps so it don't overflow).

Best I got, sorry but VB2k5 is *way* behind me. I think you have a way of making the multiple text boxes look as just one, or remove the border so that it's transparent for the end user, but don't quote me on this.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon
    the most popular visual basic is visual basic 6, not .net 2005. you'll not find much help with that, as next to no one uses it.
    sorry if this comes off nubish but whats the difference? What limitations are there to vb.net that doesnt translate over to visual basic 6? Help me understand this alittle bit. A friend of mine who has made a few really big programs for FFXI told me to use VB.net [Wade; creater of Chatmon Mapmon etc] so I did. Before I talked to wade I didnt have much programing experence [outside of little things like HTML] and it was STUPIDLY easy to learn [the basics I mean] so I see no reason why NOT to use it? Can you tell me why I would use VB6 over .net? ty
    -Senoska