• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level

question: "copy ffxi w/o installing", with a twist!

Ok, so basically my window's partition on my macbook crashed, however, I backed up some files the week before. (I really just copied some important stuff to an external HD)

Currently, I have access to:
    PC with ffxi ToAU installed
    Backup files of ffxi up to WoTG installed (from dead partition)
    EU WoTG torrent file (from viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26351 ) + the exported/edited PlayOnlineEU.reg file

What should I do?
    I have the .reg file from that torrent thread--can I simply run the .reg file and update my registry? However, when I did that originally, I had a "PlayOnline" and a "PlayOnlineUS" registries to begin with, and added the third, "PlayOnlineEU". In this case I have no PlayOnline registries what-so-ever to begin with.

Should I transfer my ffxi/ToAU files from old PC and bring over the .reg files, then run the EU .reg file and install the WoTG torrent?

Or is there a more simple answer to all this?

Edit: I would follow these instructions ( http://www.windower.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8434 ), but wasn't sure if I could do that since the only .reg file i have is an outdated export from the initial WoTG torrent

Edit, again: A thought came to mind-- wouldn't having someone simply give me their current .reg export file do the trick?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Re: question: "copy ffxi w/o installing", with a twist!

You should be able to just copy the backup over your existing PC install, afaik nothing is added to registry by the WotG disk, you will only (maybe) have to go thru a file check.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Err, I forgot to add that the backup was just a drag and drop of some files, so there is no current install on this newly installed partition.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

You have to install FFXI from the original disks and then copy your backup files over. You'll go through a file check and that will be it. This way you at least avoid 5 hours of downloading updates.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

hi i dont post here but i would like to share this trick

u can aviod the file check each time u reinstall ur FFXI.

just copy the number from ur registry in:

Local_Machine > Software > Wow6432Node > PlayonlineUS > Interface (sry mine system in 64bit, just skip the "wow6432Node" if u r on 32bit system)

theres 3 regkeys there 0001, 0002 and 1000!
    all u need is write down the numbers for 0001 key. save into a txt file or somewhere.
    then copy ur current FFXI folders (with all expansion instelled)

after u reinstall the FFXI new copy.
    replace the whole folders from ur old backup FFXI into the new 1 (the best is just delete the new PlayOnline folder under ur program files)
    then run regedit goto the same place where u copy the numbers.
    place the numbers to the 0001 key (or make 1 if theres no 0001 key XD)
    Note: PLS DONT START POL BEFORE U CHANGE THE REGISTRY!
    if u run POL and press the "play" button ur all screwed ;(

coz once u press the "play" button it will make that folder into a new numbers from the 0001 registry key! so change it before u run POL!

this is just a part for the "file check" part from my reinstall steps XD
    it only took my like few min to reinstall the FFXI (w/o any expanssion, because doesnt need to reinstall expansion is u have the backup folder)
    then i can play FFXI after this..... wont take long
    if some1 interested for this reinstall trick i can wrote a steps to steps for ya.

note: the numbers u copied from the registry can make the POL to avoid the full files check!
    if theres any update in the future i wont do the full file check it just do like normal scan

Wow6432Node
    *cough*