+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Last Remnant | Remastered (PS4/NSW)

Finally some details on the last remnant story and characters, the battle system description seemed like their trying to make this feel kinda like an rts...

[[removed]]

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
    Finally some details on the last remnant story and characters, the battle system description seemed like their trying to make this feel kinda like an rts...

[[removed]]
    /sigh What is so hard about making a normal turn based RPG like Lost Odyssey? I'm tired of all these gimmicky RPG hybrid games they keep churning out =\

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Most people don't want that anymore MayorBee.
    I certainly don't.

I prefer real-time combat systems... everything else just feels lame (in comparison) at this point.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Most people don't want that anymore MayorBee.
    I certainly don't.

I prefer real-time combat systems... everything else just feels lame (in comparison) at this point.
    It doesn't work for every game, I'm just saying classic turn based battle systems with interesting systems like the ring battle system from Shadow Hearts or the modified ring system from Lost Odyssey works just fine.

I don't think people are too keen on these hybrid RPG/Action based systems, take a look at Infinite Undiscovery, beautiful game, awesome concept plagued by awful controls and combat (and my old nemesis fixed 3rd person camera view). Compare that to a game like Persona 3 which uses traditional old school turn based combat and see which RPG fans like more. I think it's an overwhelming "[Yes please]" to games that use the systems we have all grown to love and cherish.

Then again I'm just an aging gamer that misses the old days when RPGs were actually fun and not full of themselves...

/cough /cough FFVII-FFX /cough /cough

Banned.

BG Level

Are people confusing real-time and turn-based? They are not exclusive to each other. Most RPGs that use the classic FF line up turn-base system are still real-time(including most FF games).

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

How is the combat in those games real-time?

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Active was here, Wait is a loser.

But seriously, after actually bothering to play some more action RPG's they're a shitload more fun now. Though I still love going back and playing FF8 and 9, stuff like Lost Odyssey's battle system didn't keep me anywhere near as entertained as say, Infinite Undiscovery. Alot more opportunity to have actual difficulty in action/real-time RPG's too, which is always a nice thing.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    Are people confusing real-time and turn-based? They are not exclusive to each other. Most RPGs that use the classic FF line up turn-base system are still real-time(including most FF games).
    Active time? Uh....having one character attack at a time is everything but real time.

Unless everything is moving at the same time, it's not real time.

Only reason why they did turn based was because they couldn't really do anything else for a long time. Turn based is nice, but unless the game/fight is super hard and requires a lot of thought it's just incredibly boring for the most part. With active systems, even during random trash mob fights you can still have fun, even when grinding you can still have fun.

I know I prefer action rpgs, something that requires me to push more than one button along with using the dpad.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

yeah, I hope it'll be like FF7 CC

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Only reason why they did turn based was because they couldn't really do anything else for a long time. Turn based is nice, but unless the game/fight is super hard and requires a lot of thought it's just incredibly boring for the most part. With active systems, even during random trash mob fights you can still have fun, even when grinding you can still have fun.

I know I prefer action rpgs, something that requires me to push more than one button along with using the dpad.
    I dunno, I like turn-based (especially in the old FFs) because I find them to have this epic feel during boss fights.. I seemed to miss that in FF12. LO was a pretty good nostalgic game for me gameplay wise simply for that reason.

I agree, Lost Odyssey was fantastic, probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite game on xbox360 overall, but aside from mistwalker's LO and Blue Dragon the console really has no turn-based RPGs (i don't count enchanted arms because it's trash) and none coming out in the immediate future. Sadly I think Last Remnant will go the route that Infinite Discovery is going for me- I'll wait til I can get it for 30 bucks or less used and pick it up then.

Banned.

BG Level

If you put the controller down, you will still be attacked by monsters. That's called real time.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    If you put the controller down, you will still be attacked by monsters. That's called real time.
    Chess match are "real time" I guess...you have a specific amount of time to play your turn.

You can twist the definition as much as you want, no one consider it "real time" when only one person can act at time. Sequential input aren't real time.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    Chess match are "real time" I guess...you have a specific amount of time to play your turn.

You can twist the definition as much as you want, no one consider it "real time" when only one person can act at time. Sequential input aren't real time.
    ATB is real time. Just because you don't think it is doesn't mean other people don't.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Real-time = I'll just stand here for 2-3min while you charge your lazar?
    (See: Summons)

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Tales is real time, yes? When you do those hi-ougi's or whatever they're called alot of them seem to pause the game. Same shit for summons.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

The majority of the combat is real-time but those sequences are not.
    Going to a menu also pauses combat, during those times... battle is not-real time.

The only thing is, that's how all of the FF battle system plays out.
    If you do anything at all, the game pauses.

That's not a real-time battle system.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Meh, people have different definitions of it. The game uses a real time action bar to determine turns as opposed to FFX being a simple order. There's no right or wrong here, it's stupid to argue about it.

Also Active was here, Wait is for scrubs.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Even in active mode you still have to wait for each action to happen before you preform another.
    While Squall is running up to the enemy with his Gunblade, Zell is just standing around even if you already told him to use Duel.

That's not a real-time battle system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast