BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Re: Windows RG?

So fucking ancient, I remember messing with this on Newgrounds back when Newgrounds was brand new.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

this is by far the oldest thing ever posted on bg ever.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I remember when all the windows bashing became cliche after xp became a fucking amazing OS

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa
    I remember when all the windows bashing became cliche after xp became a fucking amazing OS
    And then MS went and released Vista, to remind us all of what the future is really capable of.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Apelila
    And then MS went and released Vista, to remind us all of what the future is really capable of.
    Same thing XP went through? Shit start, good ending?

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Quote Originally Posted by Apelila
    Same thing XP went through? Shit start, good ending?
    Vista is performing more like ME than XP though currently. It'll take something special to drag it into the realms of amazing OS. I suspect it'll take until the next OS after Vista for 64 bit to be globally worthwhile for example.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

as far as Im concerned, vista doesnt exist

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I use vista and have nothing horribly wrong with it. The only problem I have had in the time using it is getting HL2 to run, and even then it was an easy fix.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Are there any major software that requires Vista, and does not have a readily available version that works on XP?

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Are there any major software that requires Vista, and does not have a readily available version that works on XP?
    Eventually games will move to DX10 and basically force everyone to convert. That is, if you still find PC gaming relevant. I do personally, but the industry is drifting away from it pretty quickly.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya
    Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Eventually games will move to DX10 and basically force everyone to convert. That is, if you still find PC gaming relevant. I do personally, but the industry is drifting away from it pretty quickly.
    So in regards to a new computer purchase, would it be easier to get Vista with AMD or ATI now, put up with some minor inconveniences until better drivers come out, and the next service pack... or get XP with Intel or nVidia now, and buy Vista when I actually need to? Since from what I've been reading, Vista + Intel and nVidia don't work that well together.

Vistax64 + Intel Q6600 + Nvidia 8800GTX work smashingly well for me. (I have a backup copy of XP64 installed on my other partition tho, just in case :wink: )

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I have a amd athlon 64 x2 dual core, 3 gigs of ram, and lolati radeonx1250 and my shit runs great...

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Vista x64 blows XP out of the water in terms of performance and reliability, in my opinion. The only thing holding it back is driver support, but even that has come a long way since Vista has been released. Most new software or hardware getting released always has decent 64 bit driver support.

People were quick to condemn XP when it came out too. Same thing seems to happen with Vista. It really isn't that bad, I've been using it for months now and I've had less problems than I did in XP. It still has a way to go before it replaces XP in the business environment though.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    Vista x64 blows XP out of the water in terms of performance and reliability, in my opinion. The only thing holding it back is driver support, but even that has come a long way since Vista has been released. Most new software or hardware getting released always has decent 64 bit driver support.

People were quick to condemn XP when it came out too. Same thing seems to happen with Vista. It really isn't that bad, I've been using it for months now and I've had less problems than I did in XP. It still has a way to go before it replaces XP in the business environment though.
    QTF I don't see why people still rip on vista now a days, when it came out sure but alot has changed.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I work in a touchy industry involving transcription, and in that industry vista is our sworn enemy

I'm more surprised people consider XP good. At best it seems like a poor compromise between stability and compatibility.

Though I guess it was an unquantified statement to what your basis of comparison is (i.e. it was great vs windows 95, yeah anyone would agree.)

I've experienced a lot of OSs over last 20 years and wouldn't rank XP as "good" though thats been the case for every MS release since the original DOS.

Plus it is slowly getting to point where OS is going to be irrelevant and simply a matter of preference, since software is moving away from even using system based coding(either to server-side applications or to more middle-ware programming enviroments that are OS independent, Java being a common example).

Which is actually very good for society once we unshackle apps from the OS, MS becomes irrelevant(you can see this now as they've been scrambling for a decade to find *any* viable business model besides OS sales), and we can get back to real computing innovations once compatibility is a non-issue across all platforms.

Holy Tangent Batman.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

I run Vista on my laptop and XP on my desktop; though the laptop is a far superior machine in terms of hardware (much better gfx card, sound, dual processor, etc) I still prefer Xi on the desktop. Vista sucks at running things. It has a bunch of bullshit backing it up and I run more FPS on this shitty 4 year old Dell than on Vista machine.

Vista's interface in terms of Office 2007 is also stupid. An age-old rule of software development is to not drastically change your interface or you will confuse and ANGER the customer. Ribbons are fail.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Vista is performing more like ME than XP though currently.
    LOL most bullshit statement i've ever read on this forum.

Vista isn't anywhere near as piss-poor as ME was when it was released.