Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Aura Steal vs Regular Steal

I merited Aura Steal, and i really like how it will dispel and sometimes absorb the effects of the mob i'm fighting...

BUT

In farming i get the feeling that i'm sometimes stealing a buff INSTEAD of a coin.

Does anyone know for sure if the program checks if you steal a coin before it checks to steal a buff? Or vice versa?

It always steals buffs first.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

from what I've heard if you are going to get an item, it takes priority over aura steal. I havent done any tests but my dynamis experience is Im getting more or less the same amount of steals as I did before aura steal

Quote Originally Posted by Lithiani
    and this isnt true, I have tried to steal warcry quite a few times since I got aura steal and occasionally I will get a coin instead

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

SE dynamically determines each player's financial needs before picking which Steal ability takes priority.

In your case since you have TH4 and CC @ 100+3 with all subs levelled the game will assume you're OK for gil and steal a Buff first.

I honestly don't know but it sure sounds SE-ish doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by sleekmotorwurkz
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithiani
    and this isnt true, I have tried to steal warcry quite a few times since I got aura steal and occasionally I will get a coin instead
    I've spent a LOT of time around the 4 THFs in my LS, and they all swear that if there is an aura present, AS will affect it ahead of any item steal.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

One of my friends was actually asking about this last night. I really hope it attempts to get item first, especially in dynamis.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by TsingTao
    SE dynamically determines each player's financial needs before picking which Steal ability takes priority.

In your case since you have TH4 and CC @ 100+3 with all subs levelled the game will assume you're OK for gil and steal a Buff first.

I honestly don't know but it sure sounds SE-ish doesn't it?
    I think it would be the opposite, if you have TH4 and CC 100+3 with tons of money, youll get the coin so you can make even more money you dont need.

If youre dirt poor and need gil, you wont get anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sleekmotorwurkz
    lol so much confusion here. Item > Buff. However, EITHER one can fail. Possible scenarios:

Item Steal Check (Success)
    Buff Steal Check (Success)
    Result: An item is stolen

Item Steal Check (Success)
    Buff Steal Check (Failure)
    Result: An item is stolen

Item Steal Check (Failure)
    Buff Steal Check (Success)
    Result: A buff is stolen

Item Steal Check (Failure)
    Buff Steal Check (Failure)
    Result: Nothing is stolen

In farming i get the feeling that i'm sometimes stealing a buff INSTEAD of a coin.
    Right, stealing coins failed even before Aura Steal was introduced into the game. See situation 3 above.

I've spent a LOT of time around the 4 THFs in my LS, and they all swear that if there is an aura present, AS will affect it ahead of any item steal.
    The 4 THFs in your linkshell don't get out much, I'm guessing. If this were true, it would be virtually impossible to steal coins from low level beastmen. Strangely enough, it's extremely hard to steal buffs from low level beastmen, because 90% of the time you get a coin.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t/img_0053.png

i just got CC100 a couple days ago, so i'm dirt poor and was farming to scrape up some gil XD

I'd assumed you could steal both. Weak.

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory
    Right, stealing coins failed even before Aura Steal was introduced into the game. See situation 3 above.
    lolnowai -.-;

It was seeming to me that statistically i should have been recieving more coins than i was getting, and i was getting buffs in paces of those coins that i was "missing".

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiz Nickel
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Aura Steal became a real pain for me when I was trying to redo my thf AF weapon. I upgraded the hands to +1 and went to go redo the AF quests to get the original ones back. I kept stealing buff after buff from the Quadavs in Beadeaux, and I had to go back there as war/thf just to get the soup. I think everytime I've used steal so far it's dispelled the buff before getting an item.

Not sure if there is a check for what get's stolen or if it is two seperate checks, but i can definately say that Aura Steal's dispel effect seems to be 100% on the stuff it works on, unless you steal an item...The draining the buff is really weak and lasts a patheticly short time, for mob ws buffs atleast. Also i have stolen an item while a mob has had a buff on, but it seems to be much lower then normal steal used to be.

Waste of a merit, srsly, unless you feel good doing rdm's dispel job for them, once every 5min.

Quote Originally Posted by shinobi_tabi
    The draining the buff is really weak and lasts a patheticly short time, for mob ws buffs atleast.
    If it's the same as Voracious Trunk, it's the same buff for the remaining duration. Try stealing Scorpion's Sharp Strike. I got +50% Atk for a 4m15 total duration.

Not sure if there is a check for what get's stolen or if it is two seperate checks, but i can definately say that Aura Steal's dispel effect seems to be 100% on the stuff it works on, unless you steal an item...The draining the buff is really weak and lasts a patheticly short time, for mob ws buffs atleast. Also i have stolen an item while a mob has had a buff on, but it seems to be much lower then normal steal used to be.

Waste of a merit, srsly, unless you feel good doing rdm's dispel job for them, once every 5min.
    Aura Steal can steal certain things that Dispel can't. It's also great for soloing. The buff lasts as long as the buff would have last on the mob. If the mob's buff normally lasts 5 minutes, your buff will last 5 minutes. It's also not even close to 100% on certain things. This is easy to see in Dynamis, try stealing Warcry from an Orc in San d'Oria. It definitely isn't anywhere near 100%.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiz Nickel
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I wouldn't call it a waste of a merit, it's come in handy for me at times. Also the dispel effect isn't 100%; there have been times when I haven't been able to dispel the effect from the mob.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Its good if you can steal something useful like...JoL's boost effect. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic
    Its good if you can steal something useful like...JoL's boost effect. :D
    Guy in my LS:

http://www.infieldpress.com/parser/4-Misc/Sig.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory

Aura Steal can steal certain things that Dispel can't. It's also great for soloing. The buff lasts as long as the buff would have last on the mob. If the mob's buff normally lasts 5 minutes, your buff will last 5 minutes. It's also not even close to 100% on certain things. This is easy to see in Dynamis, try stealing Warcry from an Orc in San d'Oria. It definitely isn't anywhere near 100%.
    the dispel effect works 100% for me unless i steal an item, not the drain effect....long as it has a buff to dispel...

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    The draining the buff is really weak and lasts a patheticly short time, for mob ws buffs atleast.
    If it's the same as Voracious Trunk, it's the same buff for the remaining duration. Try stealing Scorpion's Sharp Strike. I got +50% Atk for a 4m15 total duration.
    you are right.
    it is just a waste for me since all i do is dispel/drain Sigh from tonberries/blaze spike from pots/tonberry.
    they last like 30sec sighs and 2min blaze spike which is useless even without shadows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast