+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Odd College Classes     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Odd College Classes

So there is a class at my school titled "University Honors 300 - Witches and Bitches" (University of Alabama)

Does anyone else have any odd courses like that?

Also, when did we get this emoticon, , has it always been there?

Ridill
    BG Level

At Kansas State I took a 700+ psych class called "The Psychology of Ethnic Humor." It was a pretty cool class, learned some interesting stuff, but mostly just watched videos of Richard Prior and shit lol.

K-State was the only school in the nation that had the class at the time, and the guy was working on creating a textbook, so the professor was really into it and shit. Classes are always better that way, especially if they're interesting people :D

And speaking of new emoticon lol wtf

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow
    At Kansas State I took a 700+ psych class called "The Psychology of Ethnic Humor." It was a pretty cool class, learned some interesting stuff, but mostly just watched videos of Richard Prior and shit lol.

K-State was the only school in the nation that had the class at the time, and the guy was working on creating a textbook, so the professor was really into it and shit. Classes are always better that way, especially if they're interesting people :D

Any class, irregardless of topic is infinitely better if the professor actually gives a crap. I had a philosophy professor once who discouraged class discussion.

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Parapsychology - The study of the paranormal. We went over theories on basically everything, from apparitions, to out of body experiences, to reincarnation, etc. Most of the time we just read case studies about hauntings and other cool shit and dicussed the different theories proposed from them, really fun class.

Im taking a class called Superstition and Witchcraft in Religion, start like wednesday

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

I was taking a class called Polish Scifi & Fantasy. I got there, took the first class where he gave out the syllabus and shit, then got home and dropped it. 8)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Palin
    Parapsychology - The study of the paranormal. We went over theories on basically everything, from apparitions, to out of body experiences, to reincarnation, etc. Most of the time we just read case studies about hauntings and other cool shit and dicussed the different theories proposed from them, really fun class.
    I've always wanted to take a Parapsychology course, the one at our school though simply featured a (very smart) guy who just debunked everything brutally. D=

I heard it was still an interesting class though.

A friend of mine took a course where all you were graded on was how relaxed you were. Too bad it wasn't offered this semester Vanderbilt.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Not me, but my parents took a class back when they were in college together entitled - "Symbolism in Simon and Garfunkle".

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal
    Not me, but my parents took a class back when they were in college together entitled - "Symbolism in Simon and Garfunkle".
    I do believe the symbolism you see is 100% dependent on how much herb you ingest. And no I don't mean parsley, sage, rosemary, or thyme.

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal
    I do believe the symbolism you see is 100% dependent on how much herb you ingest. And no I don't mean parsley, sage, rosemary, or thyme.
    Im sure your dad can tell you all about it

I took this awesome class called "Jim Henson's America" back in my 1st year. It was totally awesome. I hada do a paper on Labyrinth. Totally awesome.

Btw yo Axil. I was in BG for a while, though prob no one remembers me. Name was Trommel. I remembered we partied once in STV like at lvl 30ish, and we totally owned this like lvl 40 guy who kept trying ot gank us. 8)

I remember you werent you like related to Bert or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Axil
    I remember you werent you like related to Bert or something?
    Not quite. We lived in the same dorm during his first year at bama, the only time we really talked was when we spoke of mmo's though. I still play WoW, but BGwow was a bit too hardcore for me (Bert about to the first ever BG vent meeting: "Who's not on vent...aka who wants to get kiiicccckkkkeeed"). I found it really odd that Artica joined you guys in WoW considering he was in my ffxi guild. Small world isn't it...

Quote Originally Posted by Epincus
    Quote Originally Posted by Plow

Any class, irregardless of topic is infinitely better if the professor actually gives a crap. I had a philosophy professor once who discouraged class discussion.
    I'm gonna have to disagree strongly here. While this may be true most of the time, it is not always true. Case in point.

Took a class called Advanced Web Technologies. The professor was totally excited about the class. Only problem was, he had no fucking clue what he was doing. He was trying out this new teaching method where the students picked their own assignments.

Basically you had to get a certain amount of points to get an A, and he gave a bunch of assignment worth different points, and you could choose which ones you wanted to do. But he never told us our grades on anything. A week before the end of the semester, and before half the class was supposed to graduate, none of us knew whether we were gonna pass or not.

The dude was the most disorganized professor I ever had. When it came time to write comments about him, one dude brought in a typed, 2-page letter and stapled it to the form. Everyone hated this guy and wrote the worst reviews possible.

Masterofshade

Life in the womb, a 10 credit combo Writing and Biology class my sophmore year. no borthing videos thank god, but 50 students, 4 of which were mles... heaven on earth, cept for the dead baby fetuses they showed us.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofshade
    Life in the womb, a 10 credit combo Writing and Biology class my sophmore year. no borthing videos thank god, but 50 students, 4 of which were mles... heaven on earth, cept for the dead baby fetuses they showed us.
    The dead baby fetuses make it even better imo.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

A friend of mine just took a (I guess literature) class entirely about J.R.R. Tolkien's famous works.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

When I was working on my 2 year degree, we had to take this english class, but the teacher basically did his own curriculum. Since he was a former criminal defense lawyer, there was a large amount of ethics and morality in the readings we did, as well as the videos we watched. The highlight was me loaning him my copy of the boondock saints and him agreeing to have the class watch it. Was definately one of my favorite english classes I ever took.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I take this class called Math holy shit its so weird I don't think they even teach this in America.