• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Can any videocard with DVI-Out use a DVI-HDMI adapter properly?

I have a x1950XTX ATi/HIS 512mb with dual dvi out. I was wondering, If I buy a DVI to HDMI adapter. Will it work? I'm thinking about buying this 24" HDMI HP LCD for really cheap locally and it only has HDMI inputs.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Yes, it should. It won't transmit audio, but as long as the card is hdcp ready then it should work fine with most HDMI products.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

For audio, just connect your headphone jack to the red/white audio on your TV, and select audio source as DVI (may be worded differently on your TV, but that's how I hook my laptop with DVI-out to my TV's HDMI input).

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I have the x1950xtx as well and am currently using a dvi/hdmi convertor to run the connection to my TV. It really depends on the TV as to whether it looks good or not. I had an older 32" Samsung TV that looked like crap, but my newer 46" Samsung TV works perfectly with the output.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Thanks a bunch, for a minute I thought I might need to upgrade to a HDMI out videocard.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

You can't convert DVI-A (analog signal only) to HDMI. DVI-D or DVI-I will work.

As it's built in to the card, shouldn't be a problem. Usually that's only something you'd run into with adapters. For instance, if your device only had a VGA output, and you put a DVI adapter on it, then you wouldn't be able to convert that to HDMI.

As it is, the only issue might be whether or not the resulting setup is HDCP compliant...but unless you're planning to play Blu-ray over it or something, probably not a big deal.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

nah, no blu-ray. The monitor has VGA (Blue input) and HDMI output. But when I use my DVI to VGA converter. The images even at the correct resolution shows some image degrading around text, corners of images, etc.

Someone told me that if I change to DVI to HDMI converter. It would get rid of that problem. So I'm currently in a testing process before I buy this monitor lol.