+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not using quickening on Boss fights?

I just fought Tiamat and decided to stay away from Quickenings all together until the very end where everyone was disabled or dead, didn't finish it off so I had to bring in Ashe to kill it with one fire spell >_>

Actually the first challenging fight I've had so far, I'm gonna give the upcomming "bosses" the same whirl or would I be wasting my time?

i don't use quickenings ever anymore. It was an easy way at low lvls to kill higher things, but it's easier now to just melee burn things to death and keep the mp pool.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

why would you be wasting your time?

imo its more fun to fight without using quickenings, they're only really needed when you're too low level , but you can always fix that by leveling up some

Well i just beat an optional(secret maybe? dunno) esper where you couldnt use magick, and i don't think it would have been possible without quickenings. It was honestly the most intense fight ive had so far(im lvl 50ish) and even with quickenings i had to spam ethers and pots, finished him off with a luminescence chain tho 8)

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

helpful tips on Adremmelech? >.> im lvl 37 btw ._.

Um, for adramalmamamalaamalamalech, just ues blizzaga(3rd tier) if you have it, each spell of that takes off like
    | | of his life, and you can do that til he puts up his shield, then when it wears, quickening to finish

I like to open up with a quickening chain with my weaker party and then gut the rest of the fight out with my main party

It is all a personal decision.. some people think its fun to play on easy mode and some people think its fun to play on hard mode.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Seems to me that from about the mid-point of the game, relying on Quickenings is rolling the dice. If you get lucky and get a few big chains, you've got yourself an easy win. If you get unlucky, you put the boss into its rage mode and you have no MP.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I will usually have my tank do a quickening chain if my magic users are either dead or low on MP with no ethers available.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

ppl keep refering to chains... im not sure how to use more then one quickening at a time

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quickenings suck unless you have 1 for each character. Do a quickening chain with your first 3 chars, switch them out and do another chain with the 3 other characters. At level 45 with all level 3s for each character except for Balthier(lv2) I got every boss in the First, Second and Third ascents to less than 25-40% before they even attack.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Tiamat was an easy fight, with the right meds and gear I was able to duo tank him with Vaan and Bosch without anyone dieing. Just have Fran shoot away and Bosch (who was doing 300-500 a swing at him with a hammer) pummel away. I didnt even use Quickinings for this fight.

Elder Wyrm on the other hand, took the treants down with a nice Chain 8 D:

You'll be forced later on to use them when some Boss's get uber strong during there last 15-20% and they take no dmg from physical attacks and 1 shot your party members. Quickening's is the only way to bring em down.

Quote Originally Posted by Neometalrain
    You'll be forced later on to use them when some Boss's get uber strong during there last 15-20% and they take no dmg from physical attacks and 1 shot your party members. Quickening's is the only way to bring em down.
    Quickenings are physical attacks.

If you're thinking about a mob like trickester, I killed it easily by spamming Bio.

I killed Tiamat in 2 seconds, every1 zerked lol...

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

If I take off a decent amount when I hit a monster with my hard hitters I don't use quickenings, and save all my mana for curaja. Curaja is so imba that your people just do not die.

But if a boss is being a piece of shit I use it for sure. I'm not one to look for a challenge though, so if anything is even remotely hard I whip out a quickening.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Yeah I only use quickenings if i absolutely have to, or to clear a room full of adds thats right by a Boss or w/e

Antlion...

Curaja is benediction for 29 mp. I don't even know why renew exists. I didn't use any quickenings on my play through, because at first I didn't know how and once I tried one it seemed like a crappy way to throw away all my mp. Usually for fights with adds/minions I just go in swinging and bring them down while someone gets pummeled by the boss with Decoy, or I cast ra/ga black magic.

Did you melee burn Zalera too? >_> I *SUPPOSE* if you were like level 50+ you could kill it pretty easy, but quickening combos are pretty much required for some fights if you aren't utterly overleveled for it.

And I don't see why you would use a quickening to clear a room when you can just use Warp, it's a lot cheaper.