+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista     submit to reddit submit to twitter

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Windows Vista

Has anyone downloaded and installed this yet?

All the information you need to know about Windows Vista can be found on this page.

You can obtain information for evaluating your PC here:

Windows Vista Evaluation Page

and in order to actually download the iso for the installation visit this page:

Windows Vista Download Page

Some shots of the OS in use, which I found really kewl:

http://www.microsoft.com/library/med...earchOrg_2.jpg
    "When you start using Windows Vista, you will recognize familiar elements such as the Start menu, which is now faster, more streamlined, and more helpful than in previous versions of Windows. The Start menu features integrated desktop search through a new feature called Instant Search which can help you find and launch almost anything on your PC. Just type in a word, a name, or a phrase, and Instant Search can find the right file for you. But more than that, the new start menu makes it very easy for you to navigate across all of the installed applications on your PC. Eliminating the slow performing, cascading "All Programs" view, the new start menu can help you get something started more quickly than ever."

http://www.microsoft.com/library/med...feat_UX_09.jpg
    "Use Flip 3D to navigate through open windows using the scroll wheel on your mouse."

I am having trouble downloading the iso file, anyone else encountering the same problem? I downloaded the entire file then it said "error it couldn't be saved" or some bs ><

http://www.wincustomize.com/Skins.aspx?LibID=1

WindowBlinds program ftw. It's not 3D and you can't spin anything like in your post, but it's still way cooler than having the ugly normal XP setup. ^_^

Edit: For the ISO problem, I dunno how to fix it, but I always use http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php for ISO stuff.

the vista beta is buggy as fuck, i dont recommend installing :3mewmew

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

It's XP with a different start menu and Windowblinds installed.

Yay?

I'll get Vista mid 2009 when it's actually useable.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

A guy I work with installed the Vista beta and ended up having to reformat his hard drive.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Russta
    A guy I work with installed the Vista beta and ended up having to reformat his hard drive.
    Yikes, reconsidering installing this now lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk
    Quote Originally Posted by Russta
    Yikes, reconsidering installing this now lol..
    Note: This is beta code and should not be used in a production environment or on a main machine in the home. Beta 2 is intended for developers, IT professionals and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of Windows Vista
    Read that bit right there ad make your decision, Its not ready for main stream usage yet. If it was it would be on sale. It can and will cause you lots of problems and I am willing to bet that a lot of your software and games wont work on it at the moment. Dont download it and use it because it looks pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Axil
    the vista beta is buggy as fuck, i dont recommend installing :3mewmew
    amen.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Read that bit right there ad make your decision, Its not ready for main stream usage yet. If it was it would be on sale. It can and will cause you lots of problems and I am willing to bet that a lot of your software and games wont work on it at the moment. Dont download it and use it because it looks pretty.
    you must be new to computers, >.>

do you really think that would stop microsoft from releasing a product, and if you say yes, lest we forget windows 98 and windows me

Quote Originally Posted by Surealistic

do you really think that would stop microsoft from releasing a product, and if you say yes, lest we forget windows 98 and windows me
    Yeah I am new to computers. I only got one last night ; ; I honestly wouldnt install microsoft $hit on anything I own if Linux would run games as reliably as windows. As it stands at the moment I have to install that MS crap in order to be able to play some games. Other than that its Slackware for me all the way and always will be. Windows for FFXI. Slackware Linux for everything else.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Ive been using Longhorn on my test machine since the first beta, I wrote a review on Beta1, but I cant be arsed to look for it.

Some of the major diffrences from Beta1:

-New desktop features such as 3D viewing and gadgets, the new vista scheme actually looks good, unlike XPs, and offers features only useable in vista mode, and not in classic or standard.
    -New IE7 offers a sand-box feature, which basicly keeps itself completly seperate from the windows shell. IE7 also now has phishing detection and better support for foriegn web pages.
    -A slew of new network features, what they have right now looks really good with self error checking and topologys, cant wait to see what they build off of that, and not to mention built in IPv6.
    -The IME also took up an overhall, new defined options, a better onscreen KB, and even multilanguage text-to-speach.
    -Help files and error reports look a lot better.
    -The new UAC is.. interesting, if Microsoft spends a bit more time with it, it looks like it could be really good. The features as is atm are pretty good, and even include its own sandbox when editing system information.
    -Bitlocker is completly new, it's a utility that enables you to encrypt even your whole harddrive using TCPA/Palladium (which is basicly Microsofts new encryption scheme) and a USB drive to keep the key. The name is kinda wierd, TCPA is the alliance of Microsoft known as Trusted Computing Group (TCG) and Palladium was to be the Windows OS released back in '04. Then again the Palladium OS was meant to be strickly security features, so I guess the name fits.
    -Group Policy took a huge overhaul as well, it looks very nice, it also looks very indepth and I can see a lot of people stumbling trying to use it.
    -Windows Update made a little change, in short.. uh, your not going to be very happy if you have an illegal copy. Since the update is completly intergrated into the shell this time around it will have access to all system info (system not being HD contents, though im sure that could be possible with this new system..), if it reports that you key is invalid or fake, the system will lock up (no reboot will help you) and prompt you to talk to an MS rep to clear up the situation.
    -The copy/DL speeds and time arnt BS anymore.
    -Explorer (not IE) itself doesnt remain too unchanged, small new features with better description. When it freezes up, it will show what programs caused it, what programs are running and what steps should be done.
    -You know that god awful annoying autoplay that pops up everytime a CD or USB is inserted? Well, you can now specify what actions it will take when certian media is used. It can alos be diabled completly!
    -DirectX10, meh atm as a lot of the shit doesnt support it, same with x64 stuff, but dxdiag has more features.
    -Chess is now a build in game :D! and the rest of the games have been improved. Inkball a new MS game actually looks really fun, its like a marble game you would play on a NintendoDS, Mahjong ftw as well. There are a few other new games, some educational even, they look pretty good, Minesweeper is still alive but looks more pretty.

Vista is comming out looking surprizingly well, if there has been that much improvment btwn the two betas, the final version additions and completions should be jaw dropping.

The system requirements will be staggering for sure (HDs, Video cards, memory), but its about time an OS enforces a higer standard. I know Dell will be up-ing their basic standards and have a Vista model. Intel has also stepped up and will be regulating the products that will be comming out.

My bastard PC consists of Vista x64, SQL Server 2005 Ent, Visual Studio 2005 Team, Office 2007, IE7, and WMP11. It has been working fine for a few weeks.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Paulisdead

Yeah I am new to computers. I only got one last night ; ; I honestly wouldnt install microsoft $hit on anything I own if Linux would run games as reliably as windows. As it stands at the moment I have to install that MS crap in order to be able to play some games. Other than that its Slackware for me all the way and always will be. Windows for FFXI. Slackware Linux for everything else.
    I love how people diss on Microsoft with no reason other than to be a cool kid. The reasons they give are always wrong anyway. "Linux is more..." and insert secure, reliable, or any other reason they want.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Okan

I love how people diss on Microsoft with no reason other than to be a cool kid. The reasons they give are always wrong anyway. "Linux is more..." and insert secure, reliable, or any other reason they want.
    i find it a tad bit off that he just got a computer last night, yet is savy enough to use linux, idk, something seems a tad off to me, linux is only user friendly if you know what the fuck your doing, otherwise your better off using windows

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by Axil
    anything to do with microsoft is buggy as fuck, i dont recommend installing :3mewmew
    fixed

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

And I'm sure every other operation system has been perfect from launch... Oh wait.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Clearly theyre doing something right to be running a legal monopoly.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Windows 95 was poopoo

Windows 98 for me was decent, blue screen of death occasionally, but it was probably a given you'll see this once a day.

WindowsME was a fucking nightmare, I got it because it was aimed @ people wanting to use digital media more, and wtf was wrong with it? Everything. Anything you clicked would bluescreen you, and god forbid you multitask!

Windows2000 is decent, wasnt very stable in college when I was using 3dmax though, that's where I learned to make 20 backups in 5 minute increments, because it'd freaking crash at the worst moments.

WindowsXP has been very nice and stable for me, can't say i've been dissapointed this time around, the only thing that annoys me is if you dont run spyware / reg checkers, your PC slows down after a while, but that's more of an internet problem than a Windows problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Okan

i find it a tad bit off that he just got a computer last night, yet is savy enough to use linux, idk, something seems a tad off to me, linux is only user friendly if you know what the fuck your doing, otherwise your better off using windows
    I was being sarcastic. I have been using computers for about 15 years now and have played with everything from Dos 6.whatever, Windows server 2003 - Gentoo linux.

I diss Microsoft because I do not like a lot of their policys. You have 3 computers you have to have 3 licenses, I have to have a seperate license to use Windows XP on a laptop I only use occasionally when I am far away from my desktop machine. I can download a Linux ISO and use it almost in any way shape or form I choose to. I dont have to phone up anyone to get an activation code. Its also an extremely intrusive annoying piece of software. Its good at what it does but you cannot have it the way you want it. You have to have a Windows install the way somebody else wants it.

I do not want Windows media player, I do not want to use IE, I dont even want that piece of garbage on my system but I have no choice in the matter. Like I said Windows is great at what it does but it does too much

Linux is an extremely secure environment to run within. As long as you're not running with Root access at all times. It is far more secure and stable than windows could ever hope to be. It is also used within many organisations that treasure their security and dont trust the alternative, hole infested well known software.

HAY GUYZ! I'm here to take up half of your system memory.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I dont understand why people talk about unstability.

Ive been using XP since it was released, and ive never had my computer crash of bluescreen, and trust me, I bastardize my computers. Can I speak for everyone? no. Just because one Linux user says hes never experianced and problems, doesnt mean no one else has either.

When it comes to licenses, each one allows you to install it on a PC and Laptop. Looking from their perspective thats very generous, you wouldnt want to make money for the products you make? Aside, there is nothing stoping you from using 1 license for everyone on the block. Is it illegal? yes, but MS has yet to ever crack down. You dont have to register with MS, its optional, and I use a VLK from work for my computers at home, and the ones at work. For my familys other computers, I use my old XP key and have it installed on all of the computers, theres nothing stopping you from using it multiple times.

But w/e, to each his own. It's kind of funny when Linux users admit they own a Windows system too, obviously MS is doing something right for people to hate them so much that people buy Windows anyway.

I have a RedHat laptop none the less, just to toy around with, but I really have no reason to use it.