٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

How important is shadow in FF6?

Because apparently he's gone for good now :\

I didn't realize you could permanently lose people in this game. Is it worth me replaying the whole floating continent scene and levelling my toons from 20>30 all over again? I hardly used him when I had him to begin with, does he make any later fights easier?

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's more of a plot thing to be honest. If you are a true completionist then you should suck it up & go back to save his life.

In terms of it 'hurting' you in any battle, it won't, although Shadow is a relatively badass & cool character, throwing stuff at people is a blast, although you can use Throw with Gogo instead if you want that.

It's nice to save him though =)

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

He has a few neat weapons, but I don't think he has even any exclusive armor. I use him a lot myself this time around, but I imagine I could easily replace him with Cyan, Sabin, or Edgar as a physical damager -- though I think he has a better innate magic stat than any of them, so it's easier to toss off an odd Ultima with Shadow.

It won't really matter until Kefka's Tower, and even then you have enough characters that you can miss two of them and still have 3 full parties. As long as you don't miss any others (thus prompting you to bring Umaro there), you'll be fine. Although, when Setzer is tossing his little cards or darts or whatever, you may wish you had a badass ninja instead.

It's really just a story thing; in practice, there are three types of characters. Punchers, Casters, and Gimmicks. Specifics may vary, but you can usually interchange them at will.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

yay glad to hear it. I didn't wanna go back through the floating continent all over again (it would be my third time through, since I did a mistake and had to do it over once), although tonko is going to kill me now when he knows I killed off shadow

Ryko's Full of Lies and Johns
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ryuu Akaneiro
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Dunemaul

I like Shadow if only because he was one of the easiest characters to cap out damage on, without having to hit an elemental weakness.

Throw is just that awesome.

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You're a bad man for letting Shadow die Wafik!

Evil kangaroo man.

Come Kefka's Tower, you're gonna wish you had Shadow instead of that pussy Setzer.

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Setzer sucks, I hated using him. He should have been replaced by a Cid guy to run the airship & party with.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Toralyn
    Evil kangaroo man.

Come Kefka's Tower, you're gonna wish you had Shadow instead of that pussy Setzer.
    I never used the throw command :S I didn't like wasting items.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Quote Originally Posted by Toralyn
    Evil kangaroo man.

I didn't mean necessarily throwing, although it's nice for sure. Shadow can equip some pretty good weapons, and Setzer's dice/darts and swords suck balls (minus Atma with assloads of HP).

Change this later.
    BG Level

Get a bunch of Tack Stars from the Colosseum. I think they were the best thing to throw.

Anyway, Shadow has really high natural speed, and you can really push it up by leveling with Odin equipped. He can really output a lot of damage when he gets two rounds to everyone else's one.

His dog will cover him and occasionally counter enemy attacks, so he can deal a lot of damage while taking little.

Ryko's Full of Lies and Johns
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ryuu Akaneiro
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Dunemaul

You're crazy. Buy a ton of fuma shuriken in Thamasa (500g each) and bet them in the coliseum for Pinwheels.

Those and Impartisans are the best throwing items in the game. Give him dual oborozukis at the end of the game and you have a near impossible character to kill with an inhumane attack rate.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

He has some intresting plot points with Relm if you save him. There pretty random to trigger you need to sleep in certain towns from memory (not played it for a long time and hav'nt got that far in the GBA one). Worth saving IMO.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

you can throw dirks and shurikens, which cost next to nothing, for mega fucking huge damage. Also shadow is the only character who has a high chance to have 3 different blocks, weapon, shield, and interceptor. Realm gets the dog but doesnt use him nearly as good as shadow does. I used to regularly go through the final dungeon with just a level 70ish shadow, no other character could reliably solo anything in there, but that ninja could, and easily.

Your going to hell for letting him go wafik, the bad hell, where the put the really bad people.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rysan Wulfric
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Shadow is a really good character, even more so now since they fixed the evasion bug that plauged the SNES versions. His throw command ignores defense and can be used from the back row without penalty. He has a pretty decent starting STR and is one of the fastest characters. Also he is the only other character that can steal besides Locke (via equipping Thief Knives). He can also do neat gimmicky things like equip elemental absorbing gear and throwing rods on himself to heal, which is how people used to beat the game solo with him.

If you do go back for him Wafik, make sure to be careful when fighting mobs that use the Blue Spell called Rippler. There is a bug present that can make you lose Interceptor permenantly if a mob uses that on Shadow.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Boo you guys are tempting me to replay the last 3 hours of gameplay, (where nobody has learned anything since I wasn't paying attention to the esper system.)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fine, i'm going back. I see it better to restart 3h than to not have him for the rest of the entire game including grindfests and sidequests.

Without spoiling, or if you are going to spoil at least tinytext it, is there anyone else who can be lost permanently? Just so I don't do this same mistake again.

In the WoR, other than the first 4 characters (Sabin, Edgar, Setzer and Celes), everyone can technically be lost if you don't go looking for them. Other than that, Shadow is the only character iirc, that you permanently lose if you don't go back for him.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Garret
    Setzer sucks, I hated using him. He should have been replaced by a Cid guy to run the airship & party with.
    He's my favorite, Master Scroll, Quick, Genji Glove, Fixed Dice and Dice for me = win

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Setzer's ultimate weapon in the extra dungeon that was added is mega win. I easily throw cards (with Setzer - I forget the name of the cards) for about 7000 damage on average. My guys are only about level 50, also.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Boo you guys are tempting me to replay the last 3 hours of gameplay, (where nobody has learned anything since I wasn't paying attention to the esper system.)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fine, i'm going back. I see it better to restart 3h than to not have him for the rest of the entire game including grindfests and sidequests.

Without spoiling, or if you are going to spoil at least tinytext it, is there anyone else who can be lost permanently? Just so I don't do this same mistake again.
    Honestly, fuck Shadow. He's a decent character, but not all that great. He doesn't add much to the storyline, except for his hidden dreams at Inns. Also, youll get a slightly different ending for not having him, so all is not lost :P