Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

Player Events (12/28/2006)

Hello, everyone. The PlayOnline OCR team here.

One month ago, there was a player event called "Laughter Mania 2006" on the World Cerberus.
    This was the fifth time this event has been held since FINAL FANTASY XI's service first started. There are probably several of you out there who have participated in this event before.

The OCR team here considered the scale and history of the player event and whether it satisfied several requirements (stated below) and, as a result of these discussions and inspections, we decided to offer support to the event.

We are sure there are many players out there who are holding their own events or who would like to hold their own events. We would like to take this chance to talk about the support the OCR team provided, thoughts concerning player events, and the support system.

The OCR Team

OCR stands for Online Community Relations and is part of the PlayOnline management team, mainly offering help to FINAL FANTASY XI. In particular, the OCR team carefully reviews requests and issues brought up by players and discusses them with the development team, acting as an intermediary between the players and the development team. In other words, the main duty of the OCR team is furthering healthy community relations.
    Also, the OCR team takes information from the development team and announces this information to players through version updates or Topics. The OCR team also helps with player events and live events such as the US Fan Festival.

Support

Below is an actual example of support for the player event, "Laughter Mania 2006."
    As a result of discussions between the OCR team and the event's organizer, the following support was provided.
    The level of support provided for an event will differ greatly depending on the activities planned. We may not be able to provide the following support for every event, but hope to give players an idea of the role OCR can play in your events.

- Discussion of the event's planning both in game and through e-mail
    - Temporarily increasing the amount of players allowed in the area to be used for the event
    - Announcements by means of a system message to each area
    - Placing a moogle to explain the event
    - Provision of areas normally only available for weddings, or areas such as the Diorama Abdhaljs – Ghelsba for staging the event
    - Having GMs move event participants and the event organizer to the area of the event
    - Distributing items that cannot usually be purchased, such as fireworks, and handing out warp scrolls for leaving the area

The Support System

We, the OCR team, would like to help everyone with their player events. Please feel free to e-mail us at mailto[email protected].
    After receiving e-mail about the event you are planning, we will consider the event's scale and achievements, decide whether we can provide support or not, and contact you with our answer.
    Please contact us about support well before the plans for your event are completely decided.

Support Criteria

The OCR team decides whether or not to provide event support based on whether the following requirements are satisfied.

- The event is not inappropriate
    - The event is original and interesting
    - The event does not harm the Vana'diel worldview
    - The event is not exclusive to specific players or to only a small number of players, but, instead, is open for everyone to participate and enjoy.
    - It is determined that the event actually requires support.
    - The organizer has experience in organizing player events.

While an event is being held, if a problem arises such as too many participants gathering in the same place which results in unavoidable lag, the OCR team may intervene to deal with the situation.

A Message from the OCR Team

When planning a player event, you may have many questions such as how to make the event more enjoyable, how to deal with an area's congestion and lag, how to hold an international event, etc. To solve these various problems, please attempt to hold events as often as possible to build up experience. If you contact the OCR team after doing this, you will have a much better chance of receiving support for your event.
    We would like to help everyone make Vana'diel an even more interesting place to be.

Lastly, we have conducted an interview with the staff who organized the Laughter Mania 2006 player event and have put it below.

Q1: Why did you want to hold this kind of player event?
    Gillbert: Well, the main reason is not really the enjoyment it gives me, but the enjoyment I find in the event. I honestly wanted to see everyone's smiling faces.
    Mapleleaf: Normally I don't go to other Worlds – well, because you can't. I wanted to take part in a meeting place that transcends the Worlds in the game.
    Yoshimotolumine: I enjoy reading all of the blogs and journals that people write after the event has ended.

Q2: Please tell us about the number of staff members who participated in this event and how long preparations for the event took.
    Arashis: Altogether, there were over 64 staff members!
    Anahime: In June, the official blog went online. From staff recruitment to the actual event at the end of November, it took almost half a year.

Q3: What are some of the difficulties that went into planning the event?
    Mapleleaf: All of us are working adults. So it was hard to find the time to get together and discuss the event.
    Anahime: Things like differences in opinion and the direction we wanted to take the event... It was pretty difficult coming to a mutual understanding through the chat window and creating the event from the ground up.

Q4: Please tell us about your plans for future events.
    Mapleleaf: Including events that I'll be planning myself, I'd like to participate in a lot of different events as a staff member.
    Lunta: This was my last Laughter Mania, but I'd like to continue sharing my own event know-how with others, and plant the seeds for future events.

Q5: Could we have a message for all the other players out there planning player events?
    Vdb: Keep on planning events! I'd like to see the community grow from there. Just make the best events you can.
    Lunta: You know what? If you're going to do it, be prepared. It's a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun!
    Mistyoll: Mistakes only make you better.
    Gillbert: I'm looking forward to making a player event that no one else thought of!
    Arashis: There are a lot of difficulties, but the memories you have from the event and the connections with the people are definitely the most rewarding parts of holding a player event.
    Rosewhitejr: Hey there! Decide the event-planning schedule as soon as possible. There will probably be a lot of arguments about the player event, so decide beforehand who has the final word. These two points are very important.
    Estaciel: The bravery to take one step forward and the guts to walk a thousand more.
    Pancoco: There are a lot of hard things to deal with, but the reward is worth it. The harder you work, the more you can enjoy it yourself.
    Silverhawk: This time I did a lot of preparation behind the scenes, but there is a certain satisfaction that accompanies that kind of work.
    Lordsandoria: Be sure not to upset anyone with your event.

Q6: Lastly, any closing words?
    All: Thank you!
    Anahime: I'm grateful this event gave me the chance to meet so many people.
    http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...95/1195_17.jpg

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff ... etail.html

Relic Shield
    BG Level

is this why there's maintence? Or is it to put Kings in JP time again

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

after reading it several times, i still have no clue as to what "Laughter Fest" really is.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

OMG

Quick!

Someone make an event where we can trade our original Divine Might earrings for another DM earring!!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

Re: OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnuld
    Quick!

Someone make an event where we can trade our original Divine Might earrings for another DM earring!!
    Or toss the old one for a new one! =(

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Re: OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Jememy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahnuld
    Quick!

Or toss the old one for a new one! =(
    You kids and your DM Earring schemes!

I would love that event....

Bushinomimi;;
    now i gotta upgrade relic GKT; ;

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pergo
    after reading it several times, i still have no clue as to what "Laughter Fest" really is.
    yep. they neglected to actually explain their example...

http://www.laughtermania.com/2006/flash/lm2006.swf

At least, that's what Google got me. Dialup at work sucks. x.x

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I saw this and was going to post it, but it seemed really worthless. :/
    Hurray for more pointless poorly explained crap.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Same here. Nobody cares about this crap.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    What is truly unfortunate/pathetic is that I'm on the Cerberus server and I have never heard of Laughter Mania.

The laughtermania.com link is dead at the moment, so I will have to suppress my incredible enthusiasm until/if the server returns...

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kanodin
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    What is truly unfortunate/pathetic is that I'm on the Cerberus server and I have never heard of Laughter Mania.

The laughtermania.com link is dead at the moment, so I will have to suppress my incredible enthusiasm until/if the server returns...
    Not dead... just takes a bit to load.

And you've never heard of Laughter Mania, because the event is held on a different server every year. From what it looks like, it's a JP Event, that promotes having good times and laughter, by way of online comedians.

Sagacious Sundi

I remember reading about some kind of laughing event and the Taru Dance in an older Tribune article. Not sure if it's related...

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreth
    http://www.laughtermania.com/2006/flash/lm2006.swf

At least, that's what Google got me. Dialup at work sucks. x.x
    Very odd.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

It seems like the article was geared at showing that any player can create an event as long as it's appropriate and meets teh criteria they stated. Not meant to explain Laughter Mania (a player created event?). So ya, let's make a really kewl BG event and submit it!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk
    It seems like the article was geared at showing that any player can create an event as long as it's appropriate and meets teh criteria they stated. Not meant to explain Laughter Mania (a player created event?). So ya, let's make a really kewl BG event and submit it!
    An event where we 6-man Bahamut 2 while cancelling Shell IV? I'm in.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

wow that's some seriously pointless shit there lol. Best part is they didn't even talk about what the hell it was and that link takes fucking forever I just closed it .
    Also if it's really based off a jp organizer that's even more lulz.

1 - Mazurka + Wyrmal Legs marathon to Dragon's Aery.

2- Conical AoE Challenge! The LS to get the most people to die from a single breath attack from a Wyrm wins.

3- Ullikummi madness: Ulli will spawn at random spots all over the globe, from Sarutabaruta to Al'Taieu. Instead of Twinkling Treants and other assorted bullshit, there would be an influx of Golems raping level 2 PUPs in starter citys.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBob
    An event where we 6-man Bahamut 2 while cancelling Shell IV? I'm in.
    Invite me pls..