+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Death, Dying, & Final Arrangements

Let’s talk about death. It happens to all of us eventually. Most of BG is growing older. Our parents, if we still have them, are definitely getting older. Some of us have kids.

I think it’s prudent to discuss and share plans for death. Do you have or want a DNR? Have you or your loved ones created a will? Do you have a funeral plan for yourself and loved ones?

In recent years, both my parents have changed their tunes. They had plans about where they wanted to be buried and even purchased plots. But as they’ve gotten older (and, sadly, seen more family and friends die) they have done a 180 and both want cremations and to be scattered in some of their favorite locations. They don’t want to have an autopsy or be embalmed or have any kind of public viewing.

I personally could care less what happens to my body after I’m gone but I don’t want to put a financial burden on any loved ones who feel they are obligated to give me some kind of fancy burial & service.

I know it can be a kind of uncomfortable conversation to have but I think it’s important.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

death/dying:
    ideally I'll get an appt at the euthanasia clinic once decrepify takes full effect; i'd prefer to tell people goodbye rather than wait on vitals to fade, although obviously this may not be possible. dying in my sleep in a hospice setting is second tier option i suppose

i don't want to die by drowning or by a fall. probably good with most anything else

burial/cremation:
    coffin burials, tombstones, fancy funerals, and viewings are all a hard pass for me. services for the dead oughtn't be so resource-intensive. cremation is likely the only option

i've told BG multiple times i find cemeteries are a waste of surface area. this aspect of end-of-life is something i'll ensure and communicate my wishes to my family and loved ones

estate/will:
    haven't called Jimmy McGill yet but anytime's a good time now

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Almost had a drowning mishap last week, where I knew enough to save myself but if I was younger or inexperienced it could have ended badly, but also that was my first time hyperventilating in water at least 30ft deep and boy let me tell you I really don't want to go by drowning. No bueno...

Cremate me. Idk where to put my ashes, keep em or spread em somewhere you think I'd like it, or better yet use my ashs and plant a tree or something. Everything gets split between the wife and kids.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Why waste all those biological resources in a cremation. Bury me in one of those tree pod things so the roots can carve its way through my skull.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

i don't think it's quite like that but if we do get roots through our skulls then yeah definitely don't incinerate me

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

We have had grandparents go in the last few years and one of them had this book filled out:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sorry-Your-Lo.../dp/1072908786

It was so fucking useful that everyone got one for Christmas.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I've expressed my will to have a Viking funeral while my favorite Cure and Tool songs are playing.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

DNR: Yes

Will: Nope. Don't own anything of value. I think my bicycle is the most expensive thing I own, after that my ps4, lol.

Registered as a body donor for med students, so that much is free also.

Don't really have any loved ones; not close enough to anyone where my name would be anywhere near their will, lol

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

Being aware of your death is so important. When I was going through cancer, doctors told me that I had a 5% chance of survival. My wife and I planned my funeral, we discussed what was going to happen with my body. I wrote letters to certain for when I was gone, and I made videos for others. I even went so far as to make videos for my wife to receive them on important dates from our relationship for the next several years. And because I’m a bitter cunt, I made some videos for people I hate telling them off, which really helped with the stress of that whole situation.

I also always try to get people to be organ donors. It’s amazing at how many people aren’t because they just don’t think about it, or how many people refuse to because of extreme misinformation and because of that I’m very open about it and try to get people to understand the great importance that is organ donation. Like, you can save up to like 8 lives by doing nothing.

Dealing with death isn’t easy on anyone. It’s always a difficult subject because everyone wants to think they have 100 years. I’ve talked with my friends about my death since I was a teenager. Before my transplant, I greedily asked my best friends to hold off on their lives(they wanted to move out of Manitoba) and just be there for me til I die. I asked that of them when I got put on the transplant list so they only put their lives on hold for 6 weeks, which meant the world to me. Outside of them, I really had no one and going through all that and dying alone is very scary and depressing.

One annoying thing though is because I have such a high chance at dying now due to my epic body, my wife and I are not allowed to adopt. Which is interesting. We were told “Because of your medical condition, the trauma of you dying could do severe psychological damage to the adopted child”.

Yeah. That’s my thoughts about it. I’m like the resident Zombie so I always have something to say about death and being sick.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

A few easy things you can do to help regarding finances:
    -add beneficiaries to your regularly used checking and savings accounts
    -establish a will that appoints an administrator/executor/etc, make sure it’s notarized and witnessed

Understand that any existing debts you have will be a struggle to handle for those you leave behind. Auto finance and mortgage finance companies need documentation up front before even sharing details and options. And sometimes the options are not fun. There are MANY auto contracts that specifically list death of the signed as an automatic default and will repo the vehicle ASAP. Mortgage companies don’t always offer assumptions, especially when the remaining family members may not qualify, etc.

Life insurance is a completely different animal. If you don’t have coverage through work I’d strongly suggest those of you between the ages of 30-50 look into term life insurance to hell you bridge the gap between the establishment of your finances and your prime earning years. At which point you switch to something more permanent (and costly) to leave behind the legacy you plan to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    Why waste all those biological resources in a cremation. Bury me in one of those tree pod things so the roots can carve its way through my skull.
    What biological resources? They don’t pump your body full of chemicals like they would for a traditional burial. The only bad thing I’m aware of is mercury gets released when the fire burns through your fillings.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    What biological resources? They don’t pump your body full of chemicals like they would for a traditional burial. The only bad thing I’m aware of is mercury gets released when the fire burns through your fillings.
    Takes a lot to ash a human body, also that body could be chopped up for a handful of others to use and benefit from

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Takes a lot to ash a human body, also that body could be chopped up for a handful of others to use and benefit from

It's free fertilizer!

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Bruh fertilizer is cheap who cares. Florida literally has plants in the everglades that we grow, chop, then bury cause there is so much of it in our runoff. Your ph is more important anyways

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

when we leave human carrion to fully decompose then we'll really be embracing the environment

yay flora and birds and vermin
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...scientists-aoe

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

- Wife and in the future If I will have any, kids will get everything. Parents are financially secure.
    - I will make sure they'll be debt free, except for maybe tiny stuff here and there that can be covered by savings.
    - Will settle funeral in advance without being a burden to anyone. If you purchase your space and put some cash on savings for the whole process it should be able to take care by itself without causing any burden. My preference will be burial.
    - I never smoke, try to eat healthy, stay active as much as possible, drink alcohol once per week if any...etc., do my best to keep body strong for the later years.

Death teaches you what's really important. My father in law hospitalized last week. Everything becomes unimportant in such times, daily worries, etc...life reminds you that they are literally nothing. I wanted nothing other than him getting discharged from hospital.

Other than that, I try not to get too carried away by work, channel my finances sensibly to do things I want to achieve in life and live a fulfilling one.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

I wanna be turned into a Diamond when I die. That sounds so much better than rotting in the ground or having my ashes stored in an Urn that’ll most likely be lost after 20 years.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I know my mom signed a donor registration thing to give her body to science when she dies. I'm planning to do the same thing but am a terrible procrastinator.

They have brought up having me execute their will, but I think I would be a terrible choice. I'm the guy in his mid-40's still living in their basement. I think my older sister or younger brother would be better choices as they seem more mature to me. Then again, in case of my parents deaths, they both have families and my parents are really close to the grandkids, so that will be additional pressure on them.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    I know my mom signed a donor registration thing to give her body to science when she dies. I'm planning to do the same thing but am a terrible procrastinator.

They have brought up having me execute their will, but I think I would be a terrible choice. I'm the guy in his mid-40's still living in their basement. I think my older sister or younger brother would be better choices as they seem more mature to me. Then again, in case of my parents deaths, they both have families and my parents are really close to the grandkids, so that will be additional pressure on them.
    My dude. If your parents want you to execute their will. Start learning about what you have to do so you don’t cause the burden you know there might be. It’s new learning but it’s not impossible. You’re basically saying it yourself.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Also, they might be thinking that it's the only way to make sure you don't get f'd over depending on your siblings.