+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Paper Mario: The Origami King (NSW) - July 17, 2020

Release Trailer

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Yes! So excited!

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Please, please go back to the older games' combat system. I really didn't like the sticker bullshit.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Looks like there's only one combat scene at 1:40 but it looks like the old system.

But yeah, hard to say based on that.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Release Trailer
    The kingdom has been ravaged by an origami menace! Join Mario and his new partner, Olivia, as they battle evil Folded Soldiers, repair the damaged landscape, and try to free Princess Peach’s castle from the clutches of King Olly in this comedy-filled adventure, only on the Nintendo Switch™ system.

Mario and Luigi receive an invitation from Princess Peach to attend an origami festival and excitedly hurry to Toad Town…but something’s amiss. After investigating the eerily empty town, the duo finds a fearsome (and folded) Princess Peach—she’s been turned into origami by King Olly, ruler of the Origami Kingdom! With five giant streamers under his control, King Olly binds Princess Peach’s Castle and transports it to a distant mountain as part of his plan to re-fold the world.

On his journey to liberate Peach’s Castle and repair the ravaged paper landscape, Mario meets Olivia, King Olly’s sister, and the two join forces to put a stop to Olly’s origami onslaught. Even Bowser falls victim to Olly’s plot when his minions are turned into origami Folded Soldiers and betray their Koopa king, forcing him to ally with Mario and Olivia!

Battle the Folded Soldiers in ring-based battles that challenge you to strategically line up enemies to maximize damage! Out of battle, Mario can use the arm-extending 1,000-Fold Arms ability in specific spots to interact with the landscape to pull, peel, hit, and more! Join Mario, Olivia, and their companions on a journey of laughter and emotion, thrills, and a whole lot of folding.

https://papermario.nintendo.com/
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...i-king-switch/

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Combat video:

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Paper mario is dead for me after the first two games, their combat change for no reason was so dumb. This looks like the same, they just refuse to use anything that made it popular, does not make sense.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

It ain't Super Mario RPG, but if they went back to the Second Paper Mario game's combat style, I'd feel much better about it.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Can't wait for this, pretty excited that it's coming so soon too

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

More Details
    Looking to add an extra dimension to your adventures? Are you ready for your fun to in-crease tenfold? Well, a special invitation to a colorful, paper-crafted world has arrived. Princess Peach is welcoming Mario and Luigi to attend the kingdom’s origami festival when the Paper Mario: The Origami King game launches exclusively for the Nintendo Switch family of systems on July 17.

There’s one tiny wrinkle in the festivities, though: Princess Peach seems a little strange. It seems as if King Olly, who claims to be the ruler of the Origami Kingdom, has hatched a devious plot that endangers everything Mario holds dear. It looks pretty dangerous on paper, so someone who’s a cut above the rest is needed to save the day!

“Paper Mario: The Origami King delivers a grand new adventure on Nintendo Switch for players to wrap themselves up in,” said Nick Chavez, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “This game marks the debut of the Paper Mario series on Nintendo Switch, expanding the vast library of games with another standout entry in a beloved franchise.”

Mario faces one of his most thrilling challenges yet in Paper Mario: The Origami King when the dangerous King Olly unleashes his plan to fold the entire world. Just when matters couldn’t get worse, he’s bound Princess Peach’s Castle in giant, colored streamers and transported it to a distant mountain. He’s even transformed Bowser’s minions into Folded Soldiers and enlisted them in his treacherous cause.

Luckily, Mario is equipped with a range of new tools at his disposal to help secure victory. One of Mario’s new abilities, called 1000-Fold Arms, allows you to interact with the landscape by stretching out and pulling, peeling and revealing new locations, helping you to solve puzzles and uncover unexpected surprises. Along the way, you’ll enlist the help of characters old and new, such as King Olly’s good-natured sister, Olivia, along with a range of unlikely allies, including Bowser himself! If they haven’t yet folded to the whims of King Olly’s origami will, Mario will accept all the help he can find with open arms!

Paper Mario: The Origami King also introduces a new ring-based battle system that lets you flex your puzzle-solving skills to line up scattered enemies and maximize damage. While the enemies may be crafted from paper, these dynamic, turn-based battles are far from stationary. It’ll require a sharp mind to make short work of these crafty enemies.

With a detail-rich world to explore, off-the-wall mini-game events and countless mysteries waiting to be solved, the next joyful Mario adventure on Nintendo Switch is ready to deliver huge helpings of crafts and laughs.

Paper Mario: The Origami King launches in stores, in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch and on Nintendo.com on July 17 at a suggested retail price of $59.99. For those who want to begin their adventure as soon as the game launches, pre-purchase is now available.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The charm and comedy of the first two games definitely helped the games and was something i really enjoyed, but they aren't enough to keep me playing by themselves. I hate to be the stick in the mud, but I don't like the weird gimmick combat of the later ones like Sticker Star, and if this is more of the same in those regards, its an easy pass for me.

If this is an RPG in the same light as the first two games, It'd be a day 1 buy, but it doesn't seem to be and the game is listed as Action/Adventure... So I'll keep an eye on it, they could really surprise me and give me something even better, but I won't hold my breath. I've already been disappointed by (subjectively) bad Paper Mario games.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Serra, partner combat!

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Paper Mario: The Origami King also introduces a new ring-based battle system that lets you flex your puzzle-solving skills to line up scattered enemies and maximize damage. While the enemies may be crafted from paper, these dynamic, turn-based battles are far from stationary. It’ll require a sharp mind to make short work of these crafty enemies.
    Uh oh

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post

Serra, partner combat!
    Cautiously optimistic..

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Uh oh
    Yeah, I am not so sure about this. Kind of worried about the combat now.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

if its RPG combat, I view those kind of gimmicks like I do Weakness hitting in Persona, meaning a mechanic that can really make your life easier and adds flavor to combat. If they give us Paper Mario 1/2 style combat (I.E Badges, RPG elements, Partner combat) with added depth of being able to rotate enemies to line up more devastating attacks I'd be all game.

But something tells me it will be another gimmick game with all the RPG elements completely stripped.

Earned pessimism aside, I'm still awaiting further information/Actual gameplay. I really really want it to be good.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I don't know why people are expecting it, they've already done like 3 games now without any semblance of that combat style.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hope does crazy things to people. Hope and nostalgia.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle