BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Did SE ninja-fix the auto-DC from DHCP renewal?

I used to religiously automatically DC (all the way to having to login to POL) when my 24 hr lease auto-released and renewed. But all of a sudden for approximately 3 weeks now, I've stayed logged in fine when it would normally happen. Anyone else notice this positive change?

Haven't noticed anything different. Always have been able to renew DHCP and stay on.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

if your system is fast enough to renew before the % hits zero, you can stay online

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa
    if your system is fast enough to renew before the % hits zero, you can stay online
    I used to just *BOOM* DC, I'd be 100% and I'd get that FFXI error window immediately, then when I hit ok, it asks me to relog into POL etc. I would never experience a timeout or r0 at all anytime near it.

Re: Did SE ninja-fix the auto-DC from DHCP renewal?

This isn't really a Square-Enix thing, it's likely something to do with your end.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by Taj
    This isn't really a Square-Enix thing, it's likely something to do with your end.
    Nothing network related has changed recentyl, I've used this same network connection(all wiring, routers etc) setup for about 2 years, and now all of a sudden it doesn't happen anymore(since approx 3 weeks ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Koyangi
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj
    Nothing network related has changed recentyl, I've used this same network connection(all wiring, routers etc) setup for about 2 years, and now all of a sudden it doesn't happen anymore(since approx 3 weeks ago).
    I think Taj was getting at it being something to do with your ISP.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I still get d/c'ed when my IP is renewed by my ISP. I don't think anything was changed on this side of FFXI.

I'd say something changed on your ISP's side, like them not renewing the IP anymore, or perhaps giving you the same IP everyday...still should d/c in that case though, since IP change (manual or via DHCP) closes every open or idle socket.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

My ps2 mule still does it every 24hrs.

What I want to know is how to permentely fix that crawly d/c crap that ive dealt with for years -_-

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki

What I want to know is how to permentely fix that crawly d/c crap that ive dealt with for years -_-
    I can sit in my Mog House and spam my Dbox so everytime I reach r0 it'll spike up from 0% to approximately 30-40% and then recrawl to 0%, repeat for 5 minutes. Or I'll stand in a spot wherever I am and spam cure 1 on me or a JA that recharges kinda quickly, it'll stop me from 100% timeing out, but it is annoying and has happened for a long time. (totally unrelated to the DHCP thing)

I used to have an issue like that, turns out my router was on its way to the grave. Replaced it and haven't had a problem since.

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I don't know if it's related to this issue, but when I turn my firewall off and then back on, I get disconnected from FFXI. Just FFXI, nothing else. If I leave the firewall on, I stay connected just fine.

I need to turn the firewall off to connect to my work network, so stopping turning off the firewall isn't a fix. :/

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Koyangi

I can sit in my Mog House and spam my Dbox so everytime I reach r0 it'll spike up from 0% to approximately 30-40% and then recrawl to 0%, repeat for 5 minutes. Or I'll stand in a spot wherever I am and spam cure 1 on me or a JA that recharges kinda quickly, it'll stop me from 100% timeing out, but it is annoying and has happened for a long time. (totally unrelated to the DHCP thing)
    I can /check myself over and over for 5min and do the same lol

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Velen

I can /check myself over and over for 5min and do the same lol
    Thats what I have to do, too. ~_~

Although I still get the gradual decline to R0 or random R0 "spasms", its not nearly as frequent as it used to be a few months ago. Who knows if SE really did do something about it?

a lot of times, if you're DCing every 24 hours exactly, its gonna be due to the dhcp lease on your router more than your isp. My Linksys router at home has a setting called "Client Lease Time" that defaults to 24 hours. Specific definition from my router:

The Client Lease Time is the amount of time a network user will be allowed connection to the Router with their current dynamic IP address. Enter the amount of time, in minutes, that the user will be "leased" this dynamic IP address.
    Most of the time setting up a static IP on your end, or restarting your computer within 24 hours, will allow you to stay online.

yep, set a static IP or non-expiring DHCP leases

This definitely isn't SE's problem though. Taj is right. This is a problem with your network setup or your ISP if you're not using a router... but that's kind of like banging a skanky hoe without a condom... you're gonna get computer AIDS.