+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Roommate may have stolen money from me?

I need some advice or insight on the situation I am in.

I gave my roommate the monthly rent check like I have been the past 5 months. She comes back to me the next day saying the bank didn't accept the check and handed me back the original check. I checked and there is no reason the check would have not been accepted.

I didn't think anything of it and just wrote her a check from another bank down the block that we both use. She goes ahead and cashes that check with no issues.

A day goes by and I am looking for the original check she returned to me so I can shred it. The check is not where I remembered last leaving it. I don't think anything of it since I misplace things all the time.

I am still checking my bank account every day just in case and the next day, I see that the original (missing) check has been cashed and the funds removed from ym account. It was cashed at our works credit union as stamped on the back of check. I checked the account name against the other 5 checks and they were the same account she has been using to deposit all my checks.

This all happened last week and my check is still missing. I talked to her and she just keeps saying we need to figure out what happened and is ignoring the obvious. She did confirm that the scanned check did have her signature on the back. She then went to say I can no longer pay her with checks for rent.

Now, the only thing I can think of is someone went into my room and stole the check while I was out. Now, before I open that can of worms and make accusations, is there anything I am missing? I can't see a scenario where this could have been an accident but I wanted to make sure.

TLDR;

Roommate returns rent check saying the bank wouldn't accept it. Check went missing from my room, was cashed 2 days later and the scanned image shows it being deposited into my roommates account. Is there any possible way this could have been done by accident?

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

tell your roomie you are going to contact the bank and tell them the check was stolen and deposited fraudulently, since it was a deposit they will have record of it either via video or IP address of who deposited it and at that point they will either crack or try to play the game and get themselves in a lot of trouble

and you not paying by check is dangerous cause cash goes missing all the time, better to be paid by check always so you have a paper trail for your receipt or if she refuses checks then you need to make sure she writes you a receipt EVERY time for tax purposes

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Damn bro this situation hella fucked. You should start paying her electronically

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Was it signed when she returned it?

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    Damn bro this situation hella fucked. You should start paying her electronically
    Send her rent via paypal.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I'd recommend Venmo, although I've only used it for small amounts.. Don't know if it has a limit (don't see why it would, but just saying).

Also, seconding Sonomaa's advice -- your bank shouldn't give you any problems.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

If you run into a limit try google wallet, not sure if they have a withdraw limit. But you also said you share a bank so that's an easy transfer.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Unless I'm misunderstanding tr story, the first call to make would be the bank directly to determine who made the deposit.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Unless I'm misunderstanding tr story, the first call to make would be the bank directly to determine who made the deposit.
    Exactly, i have had my checks stolen before and forged. Once they found the culprit (My very own Sister) charges can be pressed. Being that it was my sister, I went against common sense and dropped everything and told her she will never have my trust again. Then she stole from our mother, which is when we realized she had a major drug problem.

Anyway, they had a scan of the check with her signature, then they pulled the records, then they looked on video. Once everything lines up, you can make a decision from there. You will have to talk with someone who deals with fraud in the bank and they will open up a ticket to your claim.

She did admit that it was her signature in the back. Unfortunately I never checked if it was endorsed before it went missing. I will ask her that tomorrow and will have her check her balance to make sure the money went in.

Should I be calling my bank or the one that took the deposit?

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Assuming her initial problem was true, I'm guessing she didn't get the initial check from you and thought there was something wrong. Presumably she went to the back and that's where the problem was found. She probably endorsed it there, was told there was something wrong, and it was endorsed when she gave it back to you.

Honestly, you don't need to ask her anything else. Follow Sonomaa's advice and tell her you're going to contact your bank to have their fraud department look into it. If she took it, that should get her to tell you pretty quick (or double down -- although I'm not sure what doubling down would be in this case..) or you'll find out who took the check.

And it's your bank which you should contact. They should have a fraud department which will start looking into it and contact the bank where the check was deposited.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You're going to be absolutely fine because banks usually take care of shit like this. Like everyone here has said, call the bank and report the first check as stolen. They will be able to identify who took it and cashed it and you'll be A-OK. Tell your room mate that you're going to call the bank as well, just like people here have stated. Say that you're going to report the first check as stolen.

I know all of this has been repeated several times but +1 for the advice and +1 for the comfort.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by rahman1937 View Post
    She did admit that it was her signature in the back. Unfortunately I never checked if it was endorsed before it went missing. I will ask her that tomorrow and will have her check her balance to make sure the money went in.

Should I be calling my bank or the one that took the deposit?
    The one where it was deposited. Stop guessing and contact them, they will handle the rest. I do recommend going to the bank instead of calling, so they can ID you.

My roommate said the funds never made it into her account. That bank is currently looking into it and I called my bank as well so they can investigate.

I appreciate all of the advice so far!

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by rahman1937 View Post
    My roommate said the funds never made it into her account. That bank is currently looking into it and I called my bank as well so they can investigate.

I appreciate all of the advice so far!
    Just remember to keep your pimp hand strong. An obedient bitch is worth two in the bed.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

plz lurk moar

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

One does not simply lurk.

Spoiler: show

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

The most important step in all of this: Regularly update this thread with the fallout.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    One does not simply lurk.

Spoiler: show
    http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...ngvonKarma.gif

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character