Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Craft theory and Sea Obis     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Craft theory and Sea Obis

I will admit before I say anything else, this is only a theory, a proposal as it were. I haven't tested it, I haven't tried anything with it, I can't at the moment for a number of reasons, but I was wondering if it had been explored.

So there's been off and on talk of equipment effecting crafting, the obvious guild items, cooking Katana, etc. There's also been some talk of elemental staves having a factor in crafting, I personally don't know, but I do toss the proper staff on that corralates with the element I am trying to boost/hurt (wind staff for skilling on a wind crystal, Ice staff when trying to HQ with a wind crystal).

The point I getting to: the elemental Sea Obis. The text reads, "Gain Full Benefit of Iceday/Ice Weather Bonuses." Could this play into crafting? I know that the main purpuose of these obis is for BLM's and nuking, but is this another possible option? It seems too specialized for an "all jobs" kinda thing. Why don't they say "spells" when the gorgets say "weapon skills?"

I'm a BLM, so I'm going to have some of these obis, and I have most of the staves (no lolearth or lolwater). I'm also a 62 bonecrafter, and I don't really have much experience trying to break tier 0 HQs or anything like that, I'm just getting by skilling up at the moment. I'm also poor, so I can't fund or try any tests to the extent I wish to.

This is all one of those brain-storm-shock Ideas, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience/ideas going along with this.

Banned.

BG Level

Re: Craft theory and Sea Obis

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthu
    I will admit before I say anything else, this is only a theory, a proposal as it were. I haven't tested it, I haven't tried anything with it, I can't at the moment for a number of reasons, but I was wondering if it had been explored.

So there's been off and on talk of equipment effecting crafting, the obvious guild items, cooking Katana, etc. There's also been some talk of elemental staves having a factor in crafting, I personally don't know, but I do toss the proper staff on that corralates with the element I am trying to boost/hurt (wind staff for skilling on a wind crystal, Ice staff when trying to HQ with a wind crystal).

The point I getting to: the elemental Sea Obis. The text reads, "Gain Full Benefit of Iceday/Ice Weather Bonuses." Could this play into crafting? I know that the main purpuose of these obis is for BLM's and nuking, but is this another possible option? It seems too specialized for an "all jobs" kinda thing. Why don't they say "spells" when the gorgets say "weapon skills?"

I'm a BLM, so I'm going to have some of these obis, and I have most of the staves (no lolearth or lolwater). I'm also a 62 bonecrafter, and I don't really have much experience trying to break tier 0 HQs or anything like that, I'm just getting by skilling up at the moment. I'm also poor, so I can't fund or try any tests to the extent I wish to.

This is all one of those brain-storm-shock Ideas, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience/ideas going along with this.
    youre never gonna make shit crafting if you keep believing in that bullshit

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zalius
    youre never gonna make shit crafting if you keep believing in that bullshit
    None of it is hardline OMG ITZ TRUE. The only things I'll swear to are obviously listed traits, lightsday, darksday, full moon and new moon.

There's just the parts that might make things easier, and it's not like it's a pain to do things, that I figure why not. (Direction, equipment, hopping on one foot while clucking like a chicken)

lolEarth or lolWater? What u gonna nuke Suzaku and JoL with?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Never underestimate the power of an /equip "Main" "Terra's Staff" macro either.

As for the obis, you can try if you want, but the results aren't going to show anything. For the obi to be active, it has to be that day. And if it's the day already, it's not going to change.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

If you really want to elaborate on this theory, I see several options :

1- Test this on 2000 tier3 synths (1000 with Obi, 1000 without), all under the same day/weather/direction/gear. write down every result down in an excel spreadsheet, and post it here with a brief summary of your observations.

2- Trust the long-time 100 crafters, who spent much time testing that kind of things with directions, elemental staves, bar-spells, and other theories of the same kind, and came to the conclusion that crafting is purely random, except for the day and weather elements influence (for which noone can put an exact percentage of enhancement ><).

3- Ask Yin about this. Yin obviously knows the answer. And even, perhaps, Yin IS the answer.

edit: OMG i said "perhaps" ><

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Xanthu >< I am dissapointed.

No lotting AF2 for the next 6 months for you!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    2- Trust the long-time 100 crafters, who spent much time testing that kind of things with directions, elemental staves, bar-spells, and other theories of the same kind, and came to the conclusion that crafting is purely random, except for the day and weather elements influence (for which noone can put an exact percentage of enhancement ><).
    See, this is what I was pretty much looking for. What I get for pulling about half my crafting knowledge from Zam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Xanthu >< I am dissapointed.

No lotting AF2 for the next 6 months for you!
    Oh shi--

Maybe by that point I'll be solo lotting on all the BLM AF2 Since that's probabbly the only way for me to win any ._.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    See, this is what I was pretty much looking for. What I get for pulling about half my crafting knowledge from Zam.
    There has been several talks about using gear to get better crafting results, here, in the past. Using the search feature will perhaps help you find some of these discussions. But if you want cliffnotes :

"Crafting in FFXI is supposed (without any solid proof) to take into account a lot of parameters like :
    - the relation between the crystal element and the day element
    - the relation between the crystal element and the weather element
    - the direction you face while crafting
    - the elemental resistance your gear currently gives you
    - etc...

Since the crafting result is processed server-side, there is absolutely no way to be 100% sure about the parameters that can affect your crafting results. Everything you will read about enhancing your crafting results will be based on theories. And the only way to validate a theory is to setup a test on a big number of synths.

Many people in the english-speaking community have had crafts at 100 for a long time now, and from what I can say, having had a 100 craft for more than a year, and having talked to and read about many other crafters, is that the crafting system in FFXI is just random.

The only thing everyone acknowledges (when I say everyone, I mean everyone that isn't a Zam-dumb-fuck), is the importance of the skill level compared to the synth required skill, specifically the existance of the 3 HQ tiers. Everything else is just bullshit, placebo, or misunderstanding of how statistics work.[/quote]

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I'm a BLM...and I have most of the staves (no lolearth or lolwater).
    completely unrelated to your crafting question, isn't stoneskin stronger if you macro on an earth or terra staff first?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Jg
    completely unrelated to your crafting question, isn't stoneskin stronger if you macro on an earth or terra staff first?
    MND helps stoneskin. Water/Neptune's (if you don't have a Kirin's Pole, MND+10 4tw) would be the best.

lol na, MND onry.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth
    MND helps stoneskin. Water/Neptune's (if you don't have a Kirin's Pole, MND+10 4tw) would be the best.
    Mythic Wand +1 > Neptune Staff.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Mythic Wand +1 > Neptune Staff.
    I always forget about clubs. =/ Yeah, that would be best until Kirin's Pole.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Don't forget, double the effect if you sub ninja and dual-wield them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer
    Don't forget, double the effect if you sub ninja and dual-wield them.
    lol

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth
    So what's the fundamental difference why macroing in an earth staff for stoneIV adds 10% damage, but macroing in an earth staff for stoneskin doesnt make it 10% stronger? One is elemental magic and one is enhancing, and the bonus doesnt work for enhancing magic with staves?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

So what's the fundamental difference why macroing in an earth staff for stoneIV adds 10% damage, but macroing in an earth staff for stoneskin doesnt make it 10% stronger? One is elemental magic and one is enhancing, and the bonus doesnt work for enhancing magic with staves?
    It just doesn't. I was doing that a while ago until I noticed no difference in my stoneskin.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Someone in my ls says the cap for stoneskin dmg is 350. Are you hitting a cap on the ammount of dmg your stoneskin can absorb even without a staff, therefore you don't see a difference when you equip one? That, or you are right and it just doesn't help and I can give up my missconception :D

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

BLM needs a lot of MND to cap Stoneskin. Earth Staff does nothing for SS.

I've noticed Elemental Staves in general don't help buffs. Protectra doesn't get more from Light Staff, Barspells more from their element, etc.