+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 hour d/c problem     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

2 hour d/c problem

Around oct of last year I got high speed internet but it's through radio waves. It worked fine for like 2 months then all of a sudden it starts resetting every 2 hours >.> it reconnects right back but if i'm logged into FFXI I have to relog otherwise i'll start to R0.

I called up the tech support guy but he replied it's just radio interference and there's nothing that can be done. But I don't think interfernece would cause a d/c every 2 hours (it's clock work, right on the second it will d/c)... but i could be wrong.

A friend of mine suggests it's getting a new IP every 2 hours which is what's causing it. If that is indeed the case would changing to a static IP solve the problem?

Some weird info: when my net d/cs all my messengers logout immediately however FFXI stays up for an extra 3 mins before I start to R0 out.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Router model? I would say something is causing the router to reboot... Login to the router and check the logs. Some DLink models have issues which cause the router to reboot, which sucks (I bought a new router because of this).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Took me a while to find the box to get the exact model: Linksys model WRT54G2

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Firstly I would recommend downloading the newest firmware located here, and updating it via your router configuration page. Also, make sure you have your connection configured to be "Keep Alive" instead of connect on demand, it seems connect on demand is the default.

Do not EVER update via a wireless connection, this needs to be done on a wired connection.

http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/...S_20090107.bin

Linksys, A division of Cisco Systems, Inc.

Product: WRT54G2 v1
    Classification: Firmware Release History
    Release Date: Jan 13th, 2009

Last Firmware Version: 1.0.02 (Buid 13)
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

General Notes:
    - Disconnect all wireless clients from the router during the upgrade process. Make sure no wireless clients attempt to associate with the router until the upgrade process is complete.

Firmware 1.0.02 (Build 13)
    - Add support for Network Magic.
    - Fixed Remote Managment Via WEB GUI
    - Fixed some HNAP Issues.

Firmware 1.0.01 (Build 3)
    - Add dynamic PPTP support
    - Add PPPoE service name field
    - Change default setting from "Keep Alive" to "Connect on Demand" in PPPoE and PPTP on European product

Firmware 1.0.00 (Build 12)
    - Initial release

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Updated firmware and stuff, time to wait 2 hours and see what happens.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well I d/ced again right at 2 hours. Although after updating the firmware my internet connection was stable. Before webpages would fail to load from 2-10+ times in a row making me spam the refresh button to get it to load. /sea and flist would also fail in FFXI but after updating the firmware the entire 2 hours not a single page failed to load nor did /sea and flist fail >.> so it's in an improvement

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

A static IP would only fix it if your router is reassigning IPs to PC on your network, if your WAN is actually obtaining a new IP, its gonna be a shitty problem. For it to be happening at the exact 2 hour mark makes me believe it could be the "Keep Alive" / "Connect on Demand" setting, did you check that? It should be set as Keep Alive.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Right now it's on Automatic Configuration - DHCP. Gives a drop box and lists Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2PT, and Telsa Cable which all list the Connect on Demand/Keep Alive but I dunno what to use. I'm assuming the automatic config has it set to connect on demand.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Can you choose keep alive?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It gives the option to pick keep alive on everything but the automatic config option

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Alright, well try this.

Log your public IP before a reset, then see if it changes after a reset. Dont post it here obviously, just write it down.

What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more

So write it down now, then after u dc, check it again. If it changes, either your router is rebooting and forcing a new IP on you, or your ISP is renewing the lease every 2 hours (unlikely). If it stays the same, its a LAN problem, and setting a static IP on your PC's will solve the problem (hopefully)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well it just d/ced and the IP stayed the same.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Siya View Post
    Well it just d/ced and the IP stayed the same.
    sounds like your router is renewing leases on the LAN side then... you could try setting a static IP on the machine thats dc'ing with ffxi and see if it helps.

If you don't know how to do this keep reading.

This is just logging information, you will need pen and paper.

Start > Run > type cmd > in the command prompt type ipconfig /all

here you want to write down....
    should be something like
    IP Address: 192.168.1.x
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers: These are important.

Then you are ready to apply settings.

Access your network settings.
    Start
    Control Panel
    Network and Internet Connections
    Network Connections
    Here you are looking for Local Connection, or Internet. Right Click and hit properties.
    In the new window, click once on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" setting to highlight it, and then click on the "Properties" button.

To set the static address, click on the button next to "Use the following IP address"

Enter the data based on your own settings!

default gateway. In this example image below, the default gateway or router address is 192.168.1.1 but your address could be slightly different. For default gateway, you would use the same address that you use to access your router.

IP address: If your router address is 192.168.1.1, put 192.168.1.51 here, if not put your routers first three numbers and 51 as the last number.

For subnet mask, this will autopopulate.

Then, click on the button for "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter the two DNS addresses that you obtained from the first step doing ipconfig /all.

Once you have completed the setting on this section, click OK, and then click OK on the other windows, exiting network connections.

If your internet stops working when you do this, simply go back in and change them both back to automatic.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I need to wait til I get home to do this, but granted it does fix the problem if I go anywhere else (say the college or a friends) will I need to change anything or will the static IP work on other networks as well?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yea, but you can make shortcuts to do it for you. If it ends up fixing the problem, I can help you with that later. I'll be going on vacation tomorrow, so you'll have to wait til im back.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well I set the static IP but sill d/ced right at 2 hours

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

After you switched your ip, go to the address listed above to check if in fact changed (I doubt it because your ISP assigns dynamic or static depending on the package).

Are you connected wireless? Go to device manager and look for power management, see if "allow computed to turn device off to save power" is unchecked.

Can you remove the router out of the equation, connect straight to a modem? Does it happen w/ other machines?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Damn sorry I've been caught up in halo wars and completely forgot to add a reply. I was able to remove the router out of the equation but alas it still d/ced me. So I'm assuming nothing can be done at this point?

Edit: It happens with every machine.

Old Merits
    BG Level

If I were you I'd call my ISP and demand a new modem, at least then you've tried everything. The problem could just be that your modem is bad.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bik Pik
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Siya View Post
    Around oct of last year I got high speed internet but it's through radio waves. It worked fine for like 2 months then all of a sudden it starts resetting every 2 hours >.> it reconnects right back but if i'm logged into FFXI I have to relog otherwise i'll start to R0.

I called up the tech support guy but he replied it's just radio interference and there's nothing that can be done. But I don't think interfernece would cause a d/c every 2 hours (it's clock work, right on the second it will d/c)... but i could be wrong.

A friend of mine suggests it's getting a new IP every 2 hours which is what's causing it. If that is indeed the case would changing to a static IP solve the problem?

Some weird info: when my net d/cs all my messengers logout immediately however FFXI stays up for an extra 3 mins before I start to R0 out.
    What do you mean by your internet is over "Radio Waves"?