+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I need a $150 UPS?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Do I need a $150 UPS?

I replaced most of the parts in my old machine with up to date hardware and now the old hand-me down no-brand-name 'UPS' that it used to be plugged into squeals like a pig, presumably because I'm overloading it's wattage rating by a lot. My old comp had a 450W power supply. The new one sports an 850W, a much stronger video card, two extra case fans and a third HDD. So I'm guessing this is the cause of the squealing.

However, as I look at the 'selection' of available upgrades to this ancient device of mine I'm not quite sure I really need it. I have a stack of cheap $20 surge protectors at home and about the only feature they dont' have is a jack for my phone line, which I guess I can live without.

So I ask for some good ol' fashioned Straight Dope. I've had...infrequent blackouts where I live and maybe one brownout in 15 years. So honestly power spikes don't scare me. And the only time I've tripped a breaker with my computer running was because there was a 240V air compressor running on the house circuit at the same time.

Besides those concerns is there really any reason for me to plonk down $150-$200 for a 1400VA / 980W UPS? Can I just get by with my old surge protector power strips?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I have a 800W UPS just for piece of mind. I don't like losing my data or possibly having a surge spike my computer. I only paid $75 for mine though, so if you can find one go for it. Otherwise, a surge protector will do you just fine if you don't care about losing data because of a power loss.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Yeah it's my gaming rig so 'data loss' means I'll have to download something from the internet again, in 90% of cases. For any serious document work I use a laptop anyway. Built in data protection ftw.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

surge protector should be fine, although the nicer ups's have Automative Voltage Regulation which is <3

I'd tap that turian!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The fun thing about UPS' is that my new APC one shows current wattage being drawn. I say that to follow up with this: You won't need a 800watt UPS, you can most likely deal with a 400watt UPS and be just fine. I know you don't care about overvoltage and brown/blackouts, but you'd be surprised how "dirty" electricity can be from even one neighborhood to the next.

I keep my UPS on the tightest possible settings and it used to trip all the damn time when I lived near the outskirts of town from either under or over voltage randomly throughout the day. [Although now where I live it has yet to trip once for any reason, heh.]

Bottom line: Yeah, you probably won't need one, but if that slim chance happens and your equipment gets fucked up, you'll lose far more replacing all of it than the one-time UPS investment.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

A 400/500va ups is pretty marginal for a gaming computer they are typically 30% lower in wattage rating and 280 is on the low side. If you are going the ups route get at least a 650va unit.

a UPS with AVR also protects against brownouts which can be just as harmful to electric devices.