1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 8 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 20 hours, 8 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Paladin 3.2 - heres some deeps guys

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

150+230+540 = 306 avg pot
    150+200+340 = 230 avg pot
    150+200+260 = 203 avg pot

Shield swipe is less of a DPS increase and more of a TP saver. Unless you are doing a Halone combo? Or would it still be better to skip shield swipe and move onto one of the more potent combos.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Didn't even register that Divine Veil was similar to Phalanx, thought it was a pretty disappointing skill with very limited use and now I see it's actually pretty fucking great. I wonder if a Regen/Medica 2 cast prior to activating it will remove the effect though, the description makes it sound like it will but if not it could be extremely potent at negating a ton of damage. Throw on your HoTs and then pop that and watch your HP not budge.

As for Shield Swipe, it's usage is a little more debatable now compared to using your other DPS combos but it might still be very worthwhile not only for TP efficiency but for enmity. If throwing it out whenever it procs can enable you to focus on your other combos more without worrying about losing hate it'll be worth it. Just gotta see what kind of enmity modifier it has on it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I was speaking specifically against the Halone Combo.

Shield Swipe now having an enmity multiplier means you can use Halone less. Obviously Royal Authority blows Shield Swipe it out of the water in terms of damage, but RA doesn't have an enmity multiplier.

Edit: Obviously Gore Blade not only blows Shield Swipe out of the water but it towers over it. However it's a DoT.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

What I wonder is if you can trigger Divine Veil with Clemency.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Yeah lets hope Swipe gets a x3 enmity modifier.

I am glad fracture is no longer PLDs 2nd strongest GCD action.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

New stuff looks great, too bad they didn't actually do anything about the annoyance of Oaths. I guess our TP problem is going to be resolved by the expectation we'll be casting more (which wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but at least what we can cast doesn't look to be complete garbage). I expect the trend of Riot Blade failing to replenish enough MP for a Flash (nevermind Clemency) will continue, which Sheltron will alleviate a bit probably.

Also that Accuracy bonus to only Shield Oath is still really dumb, and should have just been applied to both Oaths (and the same should have been done for the other two tanks as well). Then again, they probably don't even understand that Sword Oath main tanking is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post
    150+230+540 = 306 avg pot
    150+200+340 = 230 avg pot
    150+200+260 = 203 avg pot

Shield swipe is less of a DPS increase and more of a TP saver. Unless you are doing a Halone combo? Or would it still be better to skip shield swipe and move onto one of the more potent combos.
    That's a good question. I'd still assume you'll be using Halone often (Royal Authority lacks any additional enmity modifiers), interspersed with Goring Blade upkeep (with Royal Authority only being used when you've got a "sufficient" enmity lead, if that). Considering we're apparently expected to cast more frequently now, it does kind of seem like Shield Swipe is being awkwardly squeezed out, unless you really need to string your TP out as far as you can and can't cast for some reason (still don't know how much MP Clemency actually costs).

The Halone combo will remain your opening combo for obvious enmity-generation reasons, regardless of Shield or Sword Oath. I think beyond that, it's shituational usage of your three combos as circumstances dictate. It might be better to just look at Shield Swipe as just being a means to avoid using Halone one combo sooner than you might have to or something, if you have no reason to Stoneskin/Clemency.

Yeah lets hope Swipe gets a x3 enmity modifier.

x3 is probably pretty generous.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    I wonder if a Regen/Medica 2 cast prior to activating it will remove the effect though, the description makes it sound like it will but if not it could be extremely potent at negating a ton of damage.
    It basically has to stay up with Regen/Medica 2 on, because otherwise any active regen effect would automatically wipe it in 3s or less (and remember, AST has a stance based on regen).

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Then again, they probably don't even understand that Sword Oath main tanking is a thing.
    I think they recognize it; they just don't want to encourage it. If you need that extra 15% accuracy, I imagine SE wouldn't want you MTing that content in Sword Oath anyway.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I feel like the shield swipe and mp restoration changes are Plds "we don't need goad in this raid fight anymore" changes, which is good, because I hated starving myself simply by playing my job correctly.

SE's really putting some effort into shoring up their weak spots in class performance in battle. While we have no idea how things will look in the new endgame, I can absolutely appreciate the fact that they really thought about how to smooth out edges and make players think about what they should be using in given situations.

Now remove Oath from GCD and I'm 100% satisfied.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I think they recognize it; they just don't want to encourage it. If you need that extra 15% accuracy, I imagine SE wouldn't want you MTing that content in Sword Oath anyway.
    It's just a mere 5% increase to Accuracy. And just because the devs don't want us to do it isn't a good reason to not do it, especially when shit is on farm and we want expeditious clearance of said shit (also e-peen contests I guess).

Of course, look where that mindset landed Flare and Holy. lol

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Speaking of this, should we still be using Fracture as a OT PLD after this?

Honorary Wanglad
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaist Vaughn
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Honestly it'd seem like a better idea to just focus on getting RA off as much as possible while keeping Goring up while OT. Fracture is kinda TP intensive but PLD doesn't really get many good options for cross class skills anyway.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    Speaking of this, should we still be using Fracture as a OT PLD after this?
    I don't think Fracture was ever a good idea on PLD at any point, unless you were going to be forced away from the mob for some period of time. Maybe if the PLD metagame changes enough that you'd be casting a lot and that hefty TP cost didn't just completely shit all over everything else you could have done with the TP or opportunity. Although at that point you should probably just Goring Blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dein View Post
    Honestly it'd seem like a better idea to just focus on getting RA off as much as possible while keeping Goring up while OT. Fracture is kinda TP intensive but PLD doesn't really get many good options for cross class skills anyway.
    Yeah, it's pretty much this. Although you might still want that STR Down from Halone (if it will actually contribute some mitigation, shituational as mob dictates).

There are 3 types of paladins. Those that can count, and those that can't count.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cage Rancor
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Then again, they probably don't even understand that Sword Oath main tanking is a thing.
    The changes they've made to WAR and PLD, adding accuracy to tank stances, and the nerfs to Parry/Block are them recognizing this. They realize WARs are stacking STR and main tanking, they know PLDs are powering through damage with their superior mitigation and tanking in Sword Oath.

It's also the same reason they've nerfed Holy, and healer DPS -- they're trying to "put people in their place" by making roles more "defined". It's literally discouraging players from going all out on tanks and healers, which I don't understand. Nerfing speed runs, nerfing speed kills... Taking away fun parts of the game for high level players.

I won't be surprised if the STR and DEX (assumed) nerfs towards Parry/Block are their way of "buffing" Parry. This is to encourage to tanks to use more tank stats. Really lame.

Edit: I'd even go so far as to say this is also a nerf to accommodate bad players that can't maximize DPS so they don't want them to "feel pressured" to DPS as a tank or healer. QQ. Suck more.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

They nailed two of the issues on pld but this should have been in place before 3.0. A DPS GCD without enmity bonus and shield swipe enmity bonus.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Ramset View Post
    It's also the same reason they've nerfed Holy, and healer DPS -- they're trying to "put people in their place" by making roles more "defined". It's literally discouraging players from going all out on tanks and healers, which I don't understand. Nerfing speed runs, nerfing speed kills... Taking away fun parts of the game for high level players.
    i.e. stop going outside of the rails

Remember, 2.0 was supposed to be the safe, conservative release. 3.0 is the daring, innovative release!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Well it's always good to know those healers who staunchly refused to heal me (and sometimes successfully vote kicked me as soon as 15 minutes had passed) in my hybrid accessories and 30 STR allotment were right about me not knowing my role. How could I have ever successfully tanked anything?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I'm looking forward to swapping between PLD and DRK as needed/able/optimal. With a co-WAR (which I think is still basically irreplaceable), both have merits.

The lazymode rotation looks to be, with Halone debuff at 20s and Goring DoT at 24s:

MT: Halone combo > Goring combo > Royal combo > repeat
    OT (if Halone not needed): Goring Royal Royal repeat

Fast > Savage > Halone (0s)
    > Fast (2.5) > Riot (5.0) > Goring (7.5 / 0)
    > Fast (10.0 / 2.5) > Savage (12.5 / 5.0) > Royal (15.0 / 7.5)
    > Fast (17.5 / 10.0) > Savage (20.0 / 12.5) > Halone (0... / 15.0) (Halone falls off for 1 GCD)
    > Fast Savage Goring (slight overwrite by 1-2 ticks)
    > Fast Savage Royal
    > Fast Savage Halone

With occasional Swipe, Clemency, or Stoneskin the timers probably line up alright even with skill speed.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I don't think Fracture was ever a good idea on PLD at any point, unless you were going to be forced away from the mob for some period of time. Maybe if the PLD metagame changes enough that you'd be casting a lot and that hefty TP cost didn't just completely shit all over everything else you could have done with the TP or opportunity. Although at that point you should probably just Goring Blade.

Yeah, it's pretty much this. Although you might still want that STR Down from Halone (if it will actually contribute some mitigation, shituational as mob dictates).
    Fracture was a big DPS increase. (220 pot was 2nd only to Halone at 260) But you had to plan the TP loss.

Anyways its dead now, no reason to use it with the 2 new combo averages being higher then 220.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast