• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    [2012: Year of the Whore]
    BG Level

Too good to be true? (Surround Sound Speakers)

I was looking around for some surround sound for my computer since mine is pretty shot to hell.. and I came across a seemingly good deal.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A3319353

For those who don't follow links I'll try to quote it..

The MB8000 Microburst Home Theater System from Pinnacle® Speakers gives you a complete movie theater experience, right into your living room. It delivers explosive performance, accuracy and detail from small ... Full Description
    Starting Price $1,499.95
    Total Savings $1,125.00
    Subtotal $374.95
    As low as $15/month*1
    Dell Preferred Account for PCs, laptops, and computer accessoriesApply | Learn More

Add to Cart
    Usually Ships: 5-7 Days
    Manufacturer Part# : MB8000 | Dell Part# : A331935

Overview Customer Ratings
    Overview
    The MB8000 Microburst Home Theater System from Pinnacle® Speakers gives you a complete movie theater experience, right into your living room. It delivers explosive performance, accuracy and detail from small footprint formats. This superlative design delivers depth and multi-dimensional realism to your Home Theater experience. With the use of specially reinforced cabinetry, the MB8000 suppress internal vibrations and ensure distortion free sound at all listening levels. Moreover, this system gives you a spectacular performance for all your music and home theater requirements. Additionally, the MB8000 is comprised of two 3-inch 2-way Satellites, three 3-inch 3-Element Front Left, Center and Right Speakers and one 300 W 8-inch powered Subwoofer. So just relax and immerse yourself in your favorite movies or music at home.
    As you can see it's an instant 1300~ bucks off but I'm not sure if it's one of those "too good to be true" deals or not. Does anyone have these speakers? And if so.. would they be good for mah computer?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Don't have those, but Pinnacle is a known brand that (at least) used to be good.

That being said, the prices listed are MSRP, and the reduced prices aren't exactly out of the realm that one might expect to pay for a similar product. Okay, a lot cheaper than a Bose satellite/sub system, but those aren't worth their price by a long shot.

My gut reaction is that the "sale price" is the appropriate price, and the MSRP is listed to elicit the "zomg deal" reflex. I could be wrong, I haven't heard them, they may be awesome, and may wind up selling for more down the road. From the looks of it, Dell is a new online retailer for them, and the only ones officially offering them online. So maybe they're trying to move some units and get some buzz.

That being said, I haven't heard any systems of that sort that are truly -great-, and the money is well enough to get/put towards a rather nice set of bookshelf speakers, powered monitors, or whatever. Personally, I'd shop around, and consider whether it's really the style of product you're wanting for your PC.

Seems like a decent deal. The brand is pretty decent.

If you can/want to wait I would suggest checking out after Christmas sales at amazon.com. I updated a few of my home theater pieces for insane prices.

I bought a new Denon receiver that was $900 at my local Magnolia for $320. I bought an $850 sub for $210 also.

I'm not finding any reviews on these speakers... Kinda shady. I don't often buy anything I can't find reviews on first.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

If you are going to go with them see if you can find a 10% off coupon that'll work. IDK if it goes for speakers, but I know I used them when I bought my monitors.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

don't forget bing cashback!