+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [SPORTS] Bowling!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

[SPORTS] Bowling!

Does anyone bowl or watch the pba?

I recently just got into bowling not too long ago, i've only been bowling for maybe 8 months.

Right now, my ball set is

The Black widow Venom for starting
    When the lanes break down I switch to the Storm Hy road
    and then if it breaks down a little more, I have my Roto grip mars.

My lolspareball is Black widow clear
    I've been thinking about switching my black widow venom out for virtual gravity, mainly because if the lanes break down even a little, my venom is totally useless. i've heard a lot of good things about the VG.

High game atm is 299 lol.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone on BG bowls as well.

Discuss!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

inb4 "Bowling's not a sport"
    inb4 "Recreational Activity"

Quote Originally Posted by Bingbong View Post
    inb4 "Bowling's not a sport"
    inb4 "Recreational Activity"
    That too

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm a bowler. Though, I cannot provide any help with ball choice. I'm clueless when it comes to that. When I get a new ball, I just ask the guy in the pro shop what would be a good ball for me (he knows my game).

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

299, that has to have been a giant punch in the balls

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I use a Courage the Cowardly Dog Viz-A-Ball and my high score is 205.

And yea. 299 really is a punch in the balls.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The wife and I are in a league. We're not very good, we joined because her cousin and her husband bowl in it as well. High game was a 228. My ball is an exact replica of Bill Murray's from Kingpin that the guy at the pro shop got custom made for me. I love it and feel like an asshole everytime I launch it down the lane. It's awesome.

Sanoske

I love bowling, but more has a hobby. I used to bowl a decent amount back in high school, but as college came and I actually had bills I had to scale back. Now I only get to bowl every couple of weeks at most. (Plus... $5-6+ a game? Fucking ridiculous. I remember when it was ~$2 a game.)

I taught myself a rudimentary hook shot, and it works pretty well but it's a bit inconsistent. My high game is a 210, but I also got a 193 after 5 shots of vodka, which I though was pretty good. My control also varies, depending on if I can get in a groove. I was getting pretty good and controlling my right side curve, until I stopped going regularly. (Picking up stuff like solo 10 pin spare)

I don't own my own stuff, so whatever I've learned and achieved has been with crappy lane balls. Right now I can usually bowl somewhere between a 120-150, but I do still get ~190-200 on occasion.

Just curious, question for the OP. How often do you go? How did you get your game up to a 299 in 8 months, self taught by sheer frequency of bowling, or lessons, etc?

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

I bowled a 300 today. Confetti and balloons everywhere and then the Bowling alley manager hoisted me up on his shoulders and The Dude himself came out and gave me a trophy and said You can be on our team.

I just picked up bowling yesterday.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I used to bowl competitively a while back. Still use the same balls back then I do now. Main is La Nina Storm, and I forget what my spare ball is, but it's a spare ball...so yeah...

Highest I ever got was 277 IIRC. Not as much of a dick punch as 299, but getting a six-bagger, choking on the 7th, then striking out still kind made me hate myself.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Been bowling since I was 12 and have bowled at the amateur level, the college level and even tried out for Team USA back in 96. I personally am a Zone and Quantum fan. Not in a fall league this year but last season I did I carried a 217 average. I have ZERO 300 games QQ but I do have 4 '279' games and have bowled 8 career 800+ series.

Im not talking some ol' cheesy ass 'no tap' bowling bullshit either.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Shit, I'm impressed Miz. I don't know what my deal was, but I only was able to crack a 600 series once. I remember the only time I got to do no tap in a league, I failed and ended 590ish lol.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Oh! Another few cool facts; I doubled up with Parker Bohn III and bowled in a doubles tourny with Amleto Monacelli when I was a sophomore in college as well. Now sure how deep you get into the history but HOF'er George Pappas was the owner of the house I bowled at here in Charlotte. He was a cool dude and would rip 300's off on you with his eyes closed, I still have a patch from where i beat him when I was 15, that is one of my best possessions.

http://pappasparklanes.com/

Edit: Here is a link to George Pappas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_N._Pappas

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Stiker View Post
    Shit, I'm impressed Miz. I don't know what my deal was, but I only was able to crack a 600 series once. I remember the only time I got to do no tap in a league, I failed and ended 590ish lol.
    HAHA fail indeed.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    HAHA fail indeed.
    I was on the same team with my dad for that league, he laughed his ass off at me. IIRC all I needed was a mark in the 10th and I fucked it up and left split I couldn't pick up. QQ

At least I did 600 when it mattered in regional playoffs. Shame when our team went to the state toruney we all fuckin' tanked lol.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Oh man I understand completely lol. I once got beat by a kid that bowled with a crutch and had some sort of spine problem, so the crutch was full time. Dude had some insane 160 something handicap or some shit and ended up bowling like an 80 and knocked me out of a singles tournament, shit PISSED ME OFF dude.

I still hate that kid to this day. I remember his family celebrating and throwing confetti and shit as I head up to the ball return to get my ball. He hobbled over to shake my hand and I remember telling him "Whatever man, you can beat me but God still hates you". In my defense I was like 18 and didn't handle defeat very well.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Miz I think you should sell the rights to that story. I smell Kingpin 2.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

ROFL, only if I can be black Amish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanoske View Post
    I love bowling, but more has a hobby. I used to bowl a decent amount back in high school, but as college came and I actually had bills I had to scale back. Now I only get to bowl every couple of weeks at most. (Plus... $5-6+ a game? Fucking ridiculous. I remember when it was ~$2 a game.)

I taught myself a rudimentary hook shot, and it works pretty well but it's a bit inconsistent. My high game is a 210, but I also got a 193 after 5 shots of vodka, which I though was pretty good. My control also varies, depending on if I can get in a groove. I was getting pretty good and controlling my right side curve, until I stopped going regularly. (Picking up stuff like solo 10 pin spare)

I don't own my own stuff, so whatever I've learned and achieved has been with crappy lane balls. Right now I can usually bowl somewhere between a 120-150, but I do still get ~190-200 on occasion.

Just curious, question for the OP. How often do you go? How did you get your game up to a 299 in 8 months, self taught by sheer frequency of bowling, or lessons, etc?
    My older brother bowls a lot, but he uses 2 fingers technique. I use to use it a lot, but now a good friend of mine who has been bowling for almost 8 years taught me how to use my thumb.
    So from there on out, its just watching videos, asking friends at the alley, and practice.

I bowl at least 3-4 times a week, averaging a good 180. I take advantage of my bowling alleys 1$ mania on tuesday, and I usually can go after 8 and get 2 hours for 5$ on any day.

I also know almost everyone including employee's at my house alley, its really great atmosphere and I do get a lot of free games haha.

The 299 wasn't as much of a blow to the nuts as you think, because my high game before was a 247, but it would of been nice for a 300.

I bowled like 3 284's, which is random but meh.

Also Miz, thats awesome you got to bowl with Parker Bohn III @_@

5 months into bowling
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSjdid4EuoY

Form is still really really bad, tis why the double jump lulz.

This is also my 299 Game

I have a video floating around somewhere, I think its on my facebook. I'll upload it to youtube so the world can laugh at me !

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

lol nice. Let me guess, it was the goddamn 10 pin right? Assuming you're a righty.