Closed Thread
Page 100 of 730 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Wanted to share this. I spend most of the time on the Men's Health forums, which is where the link to this article was posted.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/truth_steel.pdf

Good read. It's mostly directed towards power lifters and football players, but the sentiment can be applied to all goal related fitness activities.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by alt View Post
    Wanted to share this. I spend most of the time on the Men's Health forums, which is where the link to this article was posted.

Good read. It's mostly directed towards power lifters and football players, but the sentiment can be applied to all goal related fitness activities.
    that was a pretty good read. good stuff

i can def relate to the things he was writing about and fall guilty in a few of those categories lol. but one thing i do relate with the most are those bosu balls. they're frowned upon by people who dont know fitness as part of their lifestyle. i even posted some stuff/pics here about some bosu ball techniques i did, like those extreme bosu ball pushups (that i learned from Men's Health too none-the-less) and they def produce results. I do wish more people in my family took that damn thing serious. my brothers would rather reach for a dumbell before they reach for that ball and it pisses me off lol. i had to work my way to those dumbells and they should to. but hey. its their choice, nothing i can really do.

but one thing i am guilty of is not living enough and eating healthy a bit too much. i dont touch anything with corn products/syrups/whatever as much as i can. But with all due respect, i think i have the right to feel that way lol. I will treat myself to steaks and other things that i can USE to my benefit and improve upon myself. but im deathly afraid of ever taking a sip of soda ever again, even if its mixed with liquor. im absolutely disgusted by the thing i used to crave almost the most in my life 1-2 years ago lol. but... im getting better at it. i made some turkey bacon the other day with my oatmeal because i didnt have any whey to start my day with and figured it would be ok to get these fats in me. but its a slow process.

anyway. wall-o-text4tl, nice read

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

When I read that article I actually had to google Bosu ball because I didnt know what it was lol. I've seen them in the gym but never used them.

The main thing I liked about that article was that people are getting too far away from the basics, which is hard work.

When i'm at the gym I always see people smiling and laughing and standing there chatting and I just shake my head and wonder how good of a workout they are really getting.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

When I read that article I actually had to google Bosu ball because I didnt know what it was lol. I've seen them in the gym but never used them.

The main thing I liked about that article was that people are getting too far away from the basics, which is hard work.

When i'm at the gym I always see people smiling and laughing and standing there chatting and I just shake my head and wonder how good of a workout they are really getting.
    you're aloud to chat and do your thing lol. the busiest time in the gym is right after work, so if they're with their friends, they might perform better when they're relaxed and venting out or talking about breasts, lol. i work out by myself alot, so i know where you're coming from. i dont spend more than 45 min--> hour by myself and thats with minimal breaks. i get my shit done, and im out, on to the next one. ( i dont like ppl who spend more than 3 min texting though)

but you're right. there are some bigger guys out there than a lot of us who still cant do basic shit, but are using those helping machines out in the open floor and putting up like 300 lbs on their lifts, lol. its cool and all, and if it gets them results?-- than by all means, keep at it. But if you want to improve upon yourself as a man and health wise, you really should follow the rules. and im no better because i was doing the same things they were until i started doing my research and started reading up on things here. like Atr' said, and i have no prob admitting. im a novice, lol. but i have np with that. i love growing more and more into this lifestyle. it's become the best decision i ever made in my life :D

and there are different sized bosu balls. the ones i like for pushups are WIDE ones, that way my shoulders can get some hurt in them too.

I don't use Bosu balls often, but when I did they were really helpful for recovering from injuries for me. I remember in HS when I was running track and XC and sprained my ankle stepping in a hole one month before our first XC race I was pissed. Well doing rehab exercises on a Bosu ball allowed me to run in two weeks with a little pain/discomfort. After a month of that shit and my ankle was back at ~90%. Shitty thing was I had to stop running a few weeks later for the season because of stress fractures, go figure.

Old Merits
    BG Level

mmm. That was awesome. I want to marry this guy. I agree with him 10000000% on everything. Love the lifting, getting back to the basics, and not doing too much cardio when that's not what you're training for. Thanks for the link.

Also, I don't think it was directed at powerlifters/football players (as he even notes).

Everyone and their fancy shmancy crap at the gym. I do wish I could find a "real" gym and get away from 24 hour fitness.

However, I do think with injured people, using those "softy" stuff isn't too bad...maybe? At least in the beginning of recovery.

And did we read the same thing, Rich? I don't think he was advocating bosu balls, or other "balancing"/core exercise contraption. unless you're saying that's one of the things you're guilty of?

Also with diet, there's a difference between knowing what's good to eat and enjoying life. For instance, if I want a cookie, I'll have it. However, I'll never touch soda again. Will you deny yourself a piece of cake? And far too often people "punish/reprimand" themselves for having that piece of cake, when there's no point if the other 80-90% of the time you eat well.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by richardd View Post
    you're aloud to chat and do your thing lol. the busiest time in the gym is right after work, so if they're with their friends, they might perform better when they're relaxed and venting out or talking about breasts, lol. i work out by myself alot, so i know where you're coming from. i dont spend more than 45 min--> hour by myself and thats with minimal breaks. i get my shit done, and im out, on to the next one. ( i dont like ppl who spend more than 3 min texting though)
    I hate when ppl sit/occupy on the equipment and chatting with friend for like 30mins. Because there are like 513412513ppl are waiting in the line to use that equipment.

A short chat is ok, like when you meet with some one in the gym you know. But at least don't occupy the equipment while you are chatting

Reminds me of these same few douchebags at my school's gym who like to take most of the sway bars as well as a few of the dumbells (25s and 30s, which are commonly used) and then proceed to take a fucking lifetime to do their workout because there are three to four of them and they're only using one bar/dumbell set at a time. Seriously I want to just punch them in the face and tell them to use less equipment or move faster. I've talked about these idiots with complete strangers at the gym and it's obvious everybody thinks the same thing. Making me spend an extra 20-30minutes at the gym pisses me off.

/endrant

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Osede View Post
    I hate when ppl sit/occupy on the equipment and chatting with friend for like 30mins. Because there are like 513412513ppl are waiting in the line to use that equipment.

A short chat is ok, like when you meet with some one in the gym you know. But at least don't occupy the equipment while you are chatting
    i usually ask em to work in a quick set or 2, increase the weight so much that they get intimidated and they walk off.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Thanks a lot for posting this, it got me really motivated. I was planning on lazing around today until Mr. Steel started yelling at me.

That was an awesome rant lol. So much truth in there, I am constantly amazed at how few people do squats and deadlifts and the few that do go into the smith machine. Why the hell would you ever use one of those when an open squating cage is right there next to it, I'll never understand that.

Oh and Wei, I started Yoga...man I love it, my flexibility is awful atm so it felt great, especially on my tight leg and back muscles. Definitely gunna start doing that on my off days. Got a free 70min video from http://www.yoga.org.nz/, definitely gunna get these basic things down first.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zoolander View Post
    That was an awesome rant lol. So much truth in there, I am constantly amazed at how few people do squats and deadlifts and the few that do go into the smith machine. Why the hell would you ever use one of those when an open squating cage is right there next to it, I'll never understand that.

Oh and Wei, I started Yoga...man I love it, my flexibility is awful atm so it felt great, especially on my tight leg and back muscles. Definitely gunna start doing that on my off days. Got a free 70min video from http://www.yoga.org.nz/, definitely gunna get these basic things down first.
    I was at GNC the other day to check it out...and the guy and I started talking about squats. Then he said I should use a belt and I laughed. I didn't want to get into a debate with him. I was craving chocolate so I got this OhYeah Protein Wafer bar...and it was the nastiest crap ever.

And yeah...yoga is really hard but awesome. Good find with that site!

Quote Originally Posted by Weiing View Post
    I was at GNC the other day to check it out...and the guy and I started talking about squats. Then he said I should use a belt and I laughed. I didn't want to get into a debate with him. I was craving chocolate so I got this OhYeah Protein Wafer bar...and it was the nastiest crap ever.

And yeah...yoga is really hard but awesome. Good find with that site!
    Some of the early poses weren't too tough but others, god damn. Just sitting properly ontop of my legs really made me realize how tight my quads are, definitely gotta keep working on it and loosen them up. Whoever talks shit about Yoga though has no idea what they are talking about though.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zoolander View Post
    Some of the early poses weren't too tough but others, god damn. Just sitting properly ontop of my legs really made me realize how tight my quads are, definitely gotta keep working on it and loosen them up. Whoever talks shit about Yoga though has no idea what they are talking about though.
    Yeah. Especially those arm strength workouts where you lift both your legs in the air...I can't do those yet. I also like how you always have to be conscious of your breath and your body in general. Really neat and relaxing.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Ugh, I can't decide which workout to choose, I need some halp!

Starting Strength
    Spoiler: show

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans

Bill Starr's Beginner 5x5

Spoiler: show

Monday (Heavy Day - > 85%)
    Back Squats: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets
    Bench Press: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets
    Deadlifts: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

Wednesday (Light Day - <70%)
    Back Squats: 5 x 5 using 60% of Monday's weight
    Bench Press: 5 x 5 using 60% of Monday's weight
    Pullups: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

Friday (Medium Day - 70-85%)
    Back Squats: 5 x 5 using 80% of Monday's weight
    Bench Press: 5 x 5 using 80% of Monday's weight
    Rows: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

Also, there are a couple of different Bill Starr 5x5 beginner programs. Some don't have cleans, some are missing deadlifts. Are you supposed to move to the next one(they are numbered) after like a month or what?

Some people don't want to do cleans for dumb reasons, like not having bumper plates and not wanting to learn to catch the bar on the way down, or if your gym doesn't allow it.

Anyway Starting Strength is great since 3 sets means you progress really fast, but it doesn't matter which you pick.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Ugh, I can't decide which workout to choose, I need some halp!

Starting Strength

Bill Starr's Beginner 5x5

Also, there are a couple of different Bill Starr 5x5 beginner programs. Some don't have cleans, some are missing deadlifts. Are you supposed to move to the next one(they are numbered) after like a month or what?
    For me, the "Start Strength" ones seems like to be more like the workout for the "resting" week. The amount of set for each workout is significantly very little, which just like one of the vertical jump polymetric training I'm using it right now. So, I'm probably will say go for Bill Star 5x5.

You may want to make it clear how they are number? like Workout A,B,C (or 1,2,3?) or Phase 1,2,3?

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    Some people don't want to do cleans for dumb reasons, like not having bumper plates and not wanting to learn to catch the bar on the way down, or if your gym doesn't allow it.

Anyway Starting Strength is great since 3 sets means you progress really fast, but it doesn't matter which you pick.
    Yeah, it just seems weird that they leave out cleans or DLs since those are 2 of the exercises that are stressed the most. SS it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Osede
    You may want to make it clear how they are number? like Workout A,B,C (or 1,2,3?) or Phase 1,2,3?
    There is a "Bill Starr's 5x5" routine, a "Bill Starr's 5x5 program 2" routine, a program 3, etc. I guess they are just different variations.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

How do you guys deal with injuries from lifting? Tears or sprains mainly? I'm not too technical so excuse the vagueness, but I seriously pulled the muscle on the left side of my middle back that curves around part of my ribs. Not sure if it's a strain, sprain, or if I tore something, but it's been very slow to recover and it's a really shitty muscle to have injured (interferes with sleep / laughing / etc).

The large one that wraps around the side.

I've tried to keep my protein intake high. Lots of fish and chicken. Hot showers, etc. It seems to be slow to improve though.

Quote Originally Posted by Osede View Post
    For me, the "Start Strength" ones seems like to be more like the workout for the "resting" week. The amount of set for each workout is significantly very little, which just like one of the vertical jump polymetric training I'm using it right now. So, I'm probably will say go for Bill Star 5x5.

Starting Strength is not an easy workout by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    How do you guys deal with injuries from lifting? Tears or sprains mainly? I'm not too technical so excuse the vagueness, but I seriously pulled the muscle on the left side of my middle back that curves around part of my ribs. Not sure if it's a strain, sprain, or if I tore something, but it's been very slow to recover and it's a really shitty muscle to have injured (interferes with sleep / laughing / etc).

I've tried to keep my protein intake high. Lots of fish and chicken. Hot showers, etc. It seems to be slow to improve though.
    Eat lots, sleep a lot, and make sure you don't push yourself too hard.

Do you take Fish Oil? It might help since it reduces inflammation. That's the main reason bodybuilders take it. Vitamin C should also help in strengthening connective tissue. Your multivitamin probably provides 500-800% of your daily requirement, but you could probably just add another chewable or something. You can never really have too much vit. c, since it's a water soluble vitamin you just pee out what you don't need (note: you might want to check with a doctor if this still holds true if you have kidney problems lol)