Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Alyric

Gear advice, some THF questions, etc.

So usually when I pick a job to level I do an ungodly amount of research so I know what to ding into, how to play my job well, etc.

Well I didn't do that, and I have DRK at 62, and THF at 55, and I've just been kind of grabbing gear as I go. I level in like 3 hour increments at the wee hours of the morning due to work, and i've been spamming qufim on THF a lot since skills are capped(ish) from leveling RDM and the exp is decent.

So, THF first. I know what to TP in (Haste, Accuracy, is my stacking order.)

#1. SA/TA mods, WS mods, Atk./Acc? So let's say I'm 75, my main WS is Dancing Edge (most likely.) Is it worth it to try and put DEX behind SA, and AGI behind TA when coupled with a WS as opposed to stacking STR/DEX/Atk like any other melee would?

How about just solo SA, what's the best way to make that crit as high as possible? stack DEX behind it? or STR/Atk? Or?

You might notice I don't know jack about THF atm. ^_^;

#2. What the hell do THFs merit besides dagger? Cause that's merited already, how about Job Specific?

How would those merits alter if you threw a mandau into the mix, if at all? (I'm assuming they would.)

#3. My THF gear, halp. (Attachment #1.)

Ambiguous gear is Corsairs/Bone+1/Pulling weapon of choice
    Pin/PCC/Spikex2
    lolpeti>SH in 2 lvls/Battle Gloves (halp)/Woodsmanx2
    Nomad's (Amemet+1 waiting)/Belt with haste/Bravo's/Boots from lizard.

Attachment #2 "WS macro" swaps in Spike neck, merc. Cap. belt, Noct +1 pants, legionnaire's... and yeah idk.

I'm open to food suggestions too, I carry the usual (meat and sushi) w/ me at all times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DRK 62: Attach #3.

No body cause I'm not currently leveling drk but will when THF catches up. Thusly no hauby but will have.

Everything is what you think it is. AF helm I know, I'm doing a mass AF spree today for both jobs.

My next purchases planned: Hauby, Vassago's (maybe,) M. kris; Blau Dolch for THF. Gil isn't too much of an issue but I'm far from rich so I like my 250k items. I'll drop down for the big ones once in a while if it's just awesome (PCC.)

So there we go, I've been leveling THF so quickly that I've just been skipping a lot of gear, I plan to exp on birds from here out if that helps.

THF is my melee merit job. Don't tell me we don't get parties, I know we don't. This is why you have a g/f who is a bard who will static with you.

So recap: Looking for advice on THF Q's above, THF gear for my level, DRK gear for my level.

Thank you BG. <3

EDIT: Thought i'd point out that my drk will be 99% just "there" at 75 to be used for zergs (hence the m. kris)

EDIT 2: (First SS has me wearing a life belt, totally have a quick belt there.)

EDIT2.5: (Yes I know I need a raparee and swift, that's my goal this weekend.)

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Alyric View Post
    #1. SA/TA mods, WS mods, Atk./Acc? So let's say I'm 75, my main WS is Dancing Edge (most likely.) Is it worth it to try and put DEX behind SA, and AGI behind TA when coupled with a WS as opposed to stacking STR/DEX/Atk like any other melee would?
    Dancing Edge, you want ATK/ACC with some DEX where you can stick it (remembering DEX gives accuracy also). If you are SADEing, mix in a little more DEX; if you are TADEing, don't add pure AGI (like Breeze Rings) but Hybrid Pieces like Denali Kecks aren't bad.

How about just solo SA, what's the best way to make that crit as high as possible? stack DEX behind it? or STR/Atk? Or?
    SoloSA: 4STR = 1DEX. In reality 4STR is ever so slightly better due to attack benefits.
    SoloTA(60+): 4STR = 1AGI. In reality 4STR is ever so slightly better due to attack benefits, unless you have AF+1 hands where the AGI is superior.

#2. What the hell do THFs merit besides dagger? Cause that's merited already, how about Job Specific?
    Group1: 5/5 Triple Attack Rate, then either 5/5 SA or 5/5 TA. Personal choice.
    Group2: 5/5 Feint then other merits as as personal choice. Assassin's Charge boosts spiked damage occasionally, Aura Steal adds to your utility and Ambush can be situationally decent.

Most of the THF merits are VERY good so you'll be spoiled for choice.

How would those merits alter if you threw a mandau into the mix, if at all? (I'm assuming they would.)
    I don't think they'd change much at all.

#3. My THF gear, halp. (Attachment #1.)
    TP: Walkure Mask or Voyager Sallet, Jaguar Mantle if you can be bothered.
    Viper Bite: AF Hands, 2x DEX ring, Swordbelt +1, Drone/Genin or Drone/Drone if stacked with TA otherwise fine with 2x Attack. If that's DE, then ignore this.

I'd use a second Corsair's Knife over Bone Knife +1 personally too. You didn't say you were going to, but don't use M Kris on THF ever. It's awful and it kills off the most potent part of your damage; your melee DoT.

DRK 62: Attach #3.
    Pole Grip, Vassago's Scythe or Bone Scythe+1/Barbarian's Scythe iirc, Bomb Core at 63. Obviously AF Helm but you said that.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adrianne Lehmen
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

assault earring wru

Alyric

TP: Walkure Mask or Voyager Sallet, Jaguar Mantle if you can be bothered.
    Meh @ getting the sallet, jaguar i'll pass on until 61, not worth it. Will pick up the mask though!
    I'd use a second Corsair's Knife over Bone Knife +1 personally too. You didn't say you were going to, but don't use M Kris on THF ever. It's awful and it kills off the most potent part of your damage; your melee DoT.
    I'll pick up another cor knife, and I wasn't going to use m kris on thf. For zerging onry. Maybe offhand for breaking my swordbreaker? lol

Pole Grip, Vassago's Scythe or Bone Scythe+1/Barbarian's Scythe iirc, Bomb Core at 63. Obviously AF Helm but you said that.
    I got the scythe I have on now due to it's 500+ delay and highest base damage at my level outside of vassago's, which i will pick up soon.

Now, how I looked over the pole grip last night i don't know, mythril grip gone.

assault earring wru
    Good point, but i'm dinging into Ethereal, Abyssal, and Brutal oh fuck only 2 slots now what?!

EDIT: Drop abyssal for Suppa, yay/nay?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Abyssal to DRK is just Assault Earring +2acc~ and a small boost to Dark Magic; Suppa to THF is huge. I did the same thing and do not regret it.

Alyric

I see the sig now, lol. I'll look into the quest, do you just /toss and then to DM again or whazzah?

More troubling dilemma: Drop Tamas for Rajas?

EDIT: Woo sub. But I don't have any AF yet so I can't start the quest lol.

Alyric

So here's a recap of my day for the shits of it:

Alyric

Okay so, Dancing Edge {Found It!} Now what? I assume a lot of accuracy is a good thing, so SH for body. Life belt? Swordbelt?

Another question: Justice Sword totally has THF on it, and 7STR is brutal. I'm assuming it fails for some reason though as no one ever uses it. Why is it fail? Skill?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alyric View Post
    Okay so, Dancing Edge {Found It!} Now what? I assume a lot of accuracy is a good thing, so SH for body. Life belt? Swordbelt?

Another question: Justice Sword totally has THF on it, and 7STR is brutal. I'm assuming it fails for some reason though as no one ever uses it. Why is it fail? Skill?
    Skill, yes. Can't use Fire Bomblet so you lose 6 more acc/att there.

Alyric

Quote Originally Posted by stewie View Post
    Skill, yes. Can't use Fire Bomblet so you lose 6 more acc/att there.
    But Ridill is cool cause it attacks once more has higher base damage and lets you use core? Right on lol.