Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

New and want to level Leathercraft.

Ive just started playing and want to level up leathercraft. Can anyone give me a guide with the cheapest way to do it. Im level 3 Thief on Ragnarok server. name "Predater". Thanks

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Re: New and want to level Leathercraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Predater
    Can anyone give me a guide with the cheapest way to do it.
    http://www.ffxiah.com/
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page or http://wiki.bluegartr.com/

Knock yourself out.

Edit: Since you're a new player, I'll expand on that a bit. That's a bad question to ask here. You never, ever want to blindy follow a guide. Use the wiki to look up a list of things you can make. Use the AH link to price out that item, look up the cost it will be to make that item. Figure out for yourself what the easiest/cheapest/whatever way will be.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Predater
    Ive just started playing and want to level up leathercraft. Can anyone give me a guide with the cheapest way to do it. Im level 3 Thief on Ragnarok server. name "Predater". Thanks
    Here's a real rough guide of what me and my lsmate are doing on a mule. I say rough since we're only at 50 so I havent really checked the higher stuff more carefully. Farming ram hides REALLY helped. Btw when we got the account he was 30ish, so i never looked at low level stuff.

35 ram leather
    43 waistband
    49 ram mantle
    53 raptor mantle
    61 tiger leather they should cost less than 1k per hide at AHs, and you can mass-produce them easily. PROFIT! Even though we'll be saving them
    63 beak mantle
    66 battle boots (save)
    69 tabin boots (use battle boots)
    71 coeurl leather
    71 lynx leather
    75 tiger mantle (save)
    76 marid leather
    78 black mantle (uses tiger mantle) npc 2.2k
    79 tiger jerkin (only if leather is left over)
    or
    79 coeurl gorget
    80 manticore leather
    85 couerl mantle
    87 coeurl mask (save)
    88 ogre mask (uses coeurl mask)
    89 coeurl jerkin
    95 tiger mask
    97 griffon leather
    99 ??? blessed pumps after leveling SJ cloth?
    102 panther mask (maybe skip blessed pumps)

edit: updated with the not old shitty list i had here before

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleChaser
    Use the wiki to look up a list of things you can make. Use the AH link to price out that item, look up the cost it will be to make that item. Figure out for yourself what the easiest/cheapest/whatever way will be.
    Prices of raw materials and finished products vary from server to server, from month to month and even from day to day sometimes. So it'd be pretty hard for someone to give you a definitive answer on the cheapest route through a craft.

The links in ThistleChaser's post above are great tools in trying to figure out how to cut costs while skilling. In addition to that, all I can say is farm, farm, farm. Farming the materials used in a synth to skill-up is amazing for lowering the cost of skilling a craft. Of course, instead of spending gil, you're spending more time and only you can decide if spending the time over spending the gil is worth it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Don't forget you can always breaksynth for skill ups through the levels that have normally expensive synths in almost any craft, which can reduce costs by a lot

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Thanks for the reply. Ill check them 2 sites out If anyone is on Ragnarok and has a linkshell i can join /tell in-game ^^

Sanoske

Here's roughly what I've done so far on my mule. However since you're just getting started in both game and crafting you may want to do things differently.

0-2: Sheep Leather
    Farm the skins for this while leveling and you'll make a decent profit for starting out.
    2-5: Leather Bandana
    If you don't sell the leather, use it for this synth.
    2-7: Rabbit Mantle
    Again, you will get these leveling up. Not enough to completely farm the mats, but they're cheap enough to buy.
    7-11: Solea
    I bought the leather, but you can make your own and save a good amount of gil. Desynth these afterwards.
    11-17: Lizard Cesti
    Save these on a mule if you can.
    17-21: Dhalmel Leather
    21-24: Bugard Leather
    I did this as a cheap bridge synth. I haven't checked prices lately, but I did it before they introduced the Bugard Straps, so this may be more profitable nowadays or conversely more expensive.
    24-27: Dhalmel Mantle
    27-31: Parchment
    31-35: Ram Leather
    Either sell this or save it for later synths, I'd say save. It will be cheaper in the long run.
    35-38: Wolf Gorget (bridge synth)
    38-43: Waistbelts
    43-49: Ram Mantle
    49-52: Himantes
    I saved all the Lizard Cesti I made doing 11-17 and used it to cut my costs here, was worth the effort.
    52-58: Catoblepas Leather
    Usually end up NPCing this, but much cheaper than the alternatives. Be patient and camp the AH.
    58-61: Tiger Leather
    You can start this earlier and mix it in with Catoblepas Leather if you want.
    61-62: Hard Leather Ring
    Use some of the leather you just made for an easy level.
    62-63: Beak Mantle
    62-67: White Moutton
    Anyone with 60BC is tier 3 on the Shell Powder needed for this synth. You probably wont have it leveled yourself but if you can have a friend make you some, this stretch becomes a lot easier.
    67-69: Beak Jerkin
    67-71: Couerl Leather
    Save all of this.
    71-75: Tiger Mantle
    Save these as well.
    75-78: Black Mantle
    I used the Tiger Mantles I just made to get some cheap skillups. Not really necessary, but helps speed things up.
    75-79: Couerl Gorgets
    79-80: Manticore Leather
    80-85: Couerl Mantle
    85-87: Couerl Mask
    Here you use that leather you put away. Save the masks.
    87-88: Ogre Mask
    88-89: Couerl Jerkin
    89-90: Ogre Jerkin
    90-95: Tiger Masks

I'm at 92.1 now, so that's as far as I've gotten. Farming your own skin helps, and being a THF you will be able to do that well. Recycling materials is a good idea. Good luck.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Sano ure in CT? Where @. I live in CT. Can PM if u want. If I already asked you this before just tell me to fuck off.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

nice list Sanoske, thank god it made me realize I never updated the notepad on my desktop with some newer stuff I had e-mailed myself from work lol. It'll be nice to compare my estimated path to your list and hopefully save some gil along the way. None of it looks *too bad*

Sanoske

I did a bit of powerleveling 0-60, so my costs are way higher than if you took time and farmed. 0-90 probably cost me a little over 2M. 90-95 isnt horrible, its just a matter of camping the AH for skins. 95-100 is going to suck because of the camping for skins, but Im probably going to be making Dusk Gloves 98-99 since I have the money and I've had decent luck with skillup HQs. (HQd 2 Mahatma Slops, Dance Shoes and a Briault while doing CC).

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Issah Grimes
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Sanoske, that list rules e-mailed it to myself from work. Thank you.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

slight necro which I apologize for, however while I'm slowly moving forward in the white moutton phase I'd really like to start farming Couerl hides since that will really be the only thing holding me back from blasting right to the high 80's. I've read farming meph. mountains is quite slow since the drop rate is horrid. Have any of you successfully farmed couerl hides at a decent rate for this stretch or did you stick with your previous farming/gil making methods and just buy the hides? I have a TH4 mule available so any advice on where to best farm these hides is greatly appreciated.

I farmed the majority of my coeurl hides. Occasionally i'd buy hides if the price dropped down to 1k or lower (usual price being 2k on Fairy). It might be a bit slow to farm, but I found the gil I saved from not buying the majority of hides plus the gil made on coeurl meat stacks to be worth the time. I can't speak to the drop rate of Coeurl in Meriph. Mts. since I never seriously farmed those ones but there are less than a dozen pops, i think, and they're a bit spread out.

There are Master Coeurls in Yhoat and Zi'Tah, and Champaign Coeurl in Sauromugue. I usually watch tv while farming and don't keep track of time/drop rates, but they were decent with TH3 (Only seen 1 th4 in over a year and I lost the lot. yay!).

Anyways, hope this helps and good luck.

New Merits
    BG Level

Why not just buy the hides off AH? They usually sell for profit to bonecrafters, stacked or unstacked.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nashreen
    Why not just buy the hides off AH? They usually sell for profit to bonecrafters, stacked or unstacked.
    That's not a bad idea, I mostly plan on saving it all for coeurl masks and then using those in Ogre masks. Therefore I won't really be re-selling the leather for a profit so any gil I can save along the way is more than welcome since the hides seem pretty steady at 2k on Odin. Although I will gladly buy them for 1k a piece if I see any in that price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Daeman
    There are Master Coeurls in Yhoat and Zi'Tah, and Champaign Coeurl in Sauromugue. I usually watch tv while farming and don't keep track of time/drop rates, but they were decent with TH3 (Only seen 1 th4 in over a year and I lost the lot. yay!).
    Thanks for this tips Daeman. Did you have a preference as Zitah, Yhoat, or Sauromogue when farming? I figure I'll have to go /rng until I memorize a path to follow.

Sanoske

I didn't farm any Hides, simply because its a lvl 1 crafting mule, and my only job for farming is BLM. Plus, @ 1k per hide it just wasnt worth it. You will end up making a decent portion of that back when you NPC the masks.

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreguh
    Did you have a preference as Zitah, Yhoat, or Sauromogue when farming?
    Zi'tah when it wasn't overrun with RMT, which wasn't too often. When I could get the area to myself though, I had a nice path where i could kill from one end to the other and flee back to my start right in time with the repop.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreguh
    Did you have a preference as Zitah, Yhoat, or Sauromogue when farming? I figure I'll have to go /rng until I memorize a path to follow.
    There's a plethora of coeurls on the way to Ro'Maeve from Outpost, like 20 I think.
    I just ran in a huge circle around that area before Ro~ you can see it at (E-7).
    Actually, looking closer, I think farming diagonally F9 thru D7 had the most coeurls.
    Sitting at Leather 91.7. /shakefist at a decent update sidetracking my relic progress.

edit: Output =/= Outpost

STR-1 DEX-1
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I always farmed the 5-6 coeurl in meri(tab) mountains. They have a much higher drop rate and easier to kill than any others. Meat and Whiskers sell pretty nicely as well.

Only drawback is they are pretty far apart and even with flee and 12% it's a bit difficult to cycle on pop.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

I'm at 90 now, previously I tried desynthing items for skill ups but gave up after not seeing skill ups. For the 90-95 tiger masks did anyone have luck desynthing for skill ups, or just NPC them all?