Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking and FFXI     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Overclocking and FFXI

I just recieved my new computer last night and was wondering ... anyone here play FFXI on an overclocked computer? I wanted to tweak a couple things and see how more modern programs work, but I don't want to screw myself and get banned because "OMG I MOVE FASTER". Anyone have any experience with this personally, and not just "my friend got banned blah blah."
    Hopefully I can get some good answers because the last time this was posted on Zam there were retards claiming that overclocking was cheating. -.-

Yes people have been banned for this and its basically speed hacking because u can do the same on any computer or laptop by just messing with ur clock without a prog. Basically SE can monitor if your moving at 100%(Average FFXI running speed) or below it or above it so if you get to something like 110% than odds are youll get action taken against you

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mio Hime
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

apparently overclocking some cpus screws up ffxi's process/animation rate.. kinda like moving your system clock forward makes ffxi's animation rate super fast (and effectively 'speed hacking'), sometimes overclocking has the same side effect due to ffxi's really poor coding.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I forget if it was an overclocked video card or an overclocked processor that results in a speed hack. I'm pretty sure it was an overclocked processor b/c that affects the CPU clock which is what FFXI's framerate is tied to.

The first times I heard about this were from people that had bought computers from 'small companies' which turned out to be cheaper processors that were overclocked and then sold as higher speed processors. They'ld get suspended/banned for speed hacking without ever knowing what was going on.

It happens when the clock synchs between video card and CPU aren't properly synch'd.

Yes, people have been banned, or in the case of one of the guys who lives in the same building as me, suspended, for this.

Also, don't rely on the comercially available overclocking softwares, they can actually cause this issue sometimes.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Asherek Raitmeaux
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth

What ? >.>

I've overclocked all of my PC's since before FFXI came out and I've never run into this before. I run 100% speed like everyone else does. D:

Hell, my current system is Athlon FX-60 that's been overclocked by a good 300 mHz, as well as both my videocards, which have been overclocked quite a bit.

If I remember correctly, my videocards normally run at 650 mHz Core/1.55gHz memory, and both of them are overclocked to 690/1.66 at the moment.

Believe me, it's easily possible to do. Like most 3D online games, FFXI uses client side timings and location references to determine movement and just tells the server what has happened - it's the only way to get a smooth client side animation (and it's why you see other people occasionally stop and then sprint past you - the server and your client catching up to where their client thinks they are).

This is the basis behind software flee hacks - just lie to the server about where you are and how fast you run, and the server has little choice to accept it. However, from an admin POV it gets fairly noticable if it happens 100% of the time. I used to admin a Half Life mod server, you'd occasionally see people trying to use clock hacks.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

if you do it via bios you'll be fine, messing with the clock generator is when people come into problems.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

You just need to push the turbo button, so long as you're running a 486 dx66.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was overclocking my proccessor and memory for a while and never had any issues. But like people have said, many others have had issues with it.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by draxyl
    You just need to push the turbo button, so long as you're running a 486 dx66.
    lol I remember those and the 5 1/4 floppy drives and the memory buffer... those were the days

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

FOR THE FUCKING LOVE OF GOD

if you dont what your talking about, shut up

overclocking CANNOT CAUSE YOU TO GET BANNED, using speed hacks can, using postool can, warphacking to claim nm's can, OVERCLOCKING IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM WILL CAUSE YOU TO RUN FASTER OR GET BANNED

im sick and tired of hearing "oh, you were overclocking thats why you got banned", no, its cause his dumbass was speed hacking

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mio Hime
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Surealistic

overclocking CANNOT CAUSE YOU TO GET BANNED, using speed hacks can, using postool can, warphacking to claim nm's can, OVERCLOCKING IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM WILL CAUSE YOU TO RUN FASTER OR GET BANNED

im sick and tired of hearing "oh, you were overclocking thats why you got banned", no, its cause his dumbass was speed hacking
    i don't think you know what you're talking about. did you even read the thread? fucking with your clock will affect ffxi's process speeding it up thus 'hacking'

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coffee Time
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

QFT. I run FF on three different OC'd systems, and none of them 'allow' me to move at any faster rate. The old school speed hack was fixed a long ass time ago when SE found out about it, so its not even possible to do now.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Go ahead and dick w/ your clock a few time and see how fast you run while your pc "updates" the internal clock.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I remember the turbo button. Games back then typically had a 'speed adjustment' so that you could introduce lag into them. They'ld work by litterally excecuting everything as fast as they can, so the turbo button was there to drop the clock speed to run the game slower.

There are people that have gotten suspended/banned for running FFXI on poorly-configured overclocked systems because it can result in a flee-hack (some people have said that SE fixed this, but I don't really see how that's possible). The easy check to see if SE fixed this is to run the windower and adjust your computer's clock to see if it will screw with FFXI's framerate. I don't recomend doing that check anywhere you might be seen.

Those that are saying it can't happen also need to remember that chip manufacturers have added a pretty decent number of features and locks which have disabled many of the old ways to overclock your system (unless they removed them). If I remember correctly the 'counterfeit' chips which are overclocked actually involve some soldering to get around some of those controls, not just changes in your BIOS (which should do everything the same across your whole system).

The 'safe' way to overclock your system is to do what you're gonna do, then make sure that you're running everything properly.

Good luck with it.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

jesus christ people, are you all that computer dumb? if you adjust your clock rate of course your framerate is going to go up, DUH, but not past 30fps, if it goes past 30fps, you have some other issue going on, and yes, you can then be speedhacking, but not because of overclocking

as i said before, if overclocking were to make you run faster, any computer faster than a ps2 would be speedhacking all day long, remember, this game was designed to run on ps2 first

i don't think you know what you're talking about. did you even read the thread? fucking with your clock will affect ffxi's process speeding it up thus 'hacking'
    after reading that, i know for a FACT you have no clue whatsoever about what your talking about

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

2.4ghz oced to 3ghz for several years now, no band, no warnings

Ridill
    BG Level

as i said before, if overclocking were to make you run faster, any computer faster than a ps2 would be speedhacking all day long, remember, this game was designed to run on ps2 first
    lol that reminds me of when I was a little kid and we updated from our old 80/88 to a brand spanking new incredibly powerful 25mhz 486

all the sudden all my dos games that I loved so much became absurd ultra fast impossible adventures lol

10000000mph donkey kong go!

None of these warnings apply to anyone who knows how to do the job right. But you can seriously screw up if you do things in certain ways. If you don't know what you are doing, don't fuck with it.

You are wrong. Client-side clock desynchronisation is what (at least one type of) speed hack is. That's what a software speed hack does, it lies about what time has elapsed so the client thinks you can have moved X distance in a shorter time. You can duplicate the effect fairly easily should you know what to do.

I've seen it a number of times in various 3D game engines, including from an admin POV.

Done right (and I'm not the person to tell you how to do that), it will not cause an issue.